Jasper working with Oline?

CBD

That's what I meant. A player can't leave without the Bills having the option of elevating him to the active roster.

PTR

This doesn't sound accurate to me. When the Bills signed Brohm to the active roster, the Packers made him an offer equal to that of the Bills'. Brohm chose Buffalo over Green Bay. I take this to imply that if some other team made Jasper an offer, and if the Bills made a counter-offer, it would be up to Jasper to decide which team he wanted to play for.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After doing some looking around, it appears that any practice squad player's agent may negotiate a contract with any team. If an offer is made, the player has a choice to either take it or see if his current team would like to match or beat it. Really, the player can choose to go wherever he chooses. No right of first refusal. But if the players agent is worth his salt, he will look at all available options and in Jasper's case at least speak with the Bill's before signing with another team.

Are you sure? I seem to recall reading something about GB having the option of elevating Brian Brohm to keep the Bills from signing him and they passed.

PTR

Other way around, GB offered him a spot on their roster, he chose a fresh start with Bills over them.

Perhaps the Bills are smarter than we give them credit for. For the sake of argument, let's assume that they wanted him at oline all along and knew that by burying him on the dline in preseason they could keep him off film and hide him so they get a free year to develop him. Just because a southern drawl makes you sound dumb doesn't mean that you are. It's possible. And I don't like kool aide so don't start with that.

This actually makes perfect sense. Jasper knew very little and produced even less at DT, yet made it to the final cuts. The FIRST practice after cut down day, the coaching staff immediately gets an epiphany and realizes, "Jasper's best position is probably on the offensive side of the ball." There was no epiphany ladies and gentlemen. Realizing he'd be raw, the Bills didn't work him at OL from day 1, because he would've taken a roster spot away from someone who was more NFL ready. Why would he have made the 53? Because he no doubt would have showed more promise and had better production, if he had played his college position (OG), rather than playing DT. In essence, the Bills didn't allow the rest of the league to see if he had any promise on the OL. This works directly in their favor.

Edited by JayBaller10

Practice is underway in the fieldhouse ... Michael Jasper is working w/ the offensive line

hmmmmmmmm

keep in mind Jasper is on practice squad so he likely will be on both lines for the scout team

Actually this is not a surprise at all. I am not sure what he was doing on D to begin with since he was an offensive lineman and a very dominant one at his level his senior year.

Gailey on Jasper switch: "We like his work ethic and athletic ability. We just think he’ll be better offensive player in long run."

Based on this quote from Gailey, Jasper has busted out at NT. If he doesn't show even the slightest amount of ability to convert to the OL within a month or so, I would guess that would be the end of the line.

Gailey on Jasper switch: "We like his work ethic and athletic ability. We just think he’ll be better offensive player in long run."

On the surface at least, this seems insane! Any time you have a player who weighs 375 pounds, why on earth would you think offensive line as opposed to NT? :unsure:

I realize Jasper didn't produce right away. But guess what? Last year, Troup had an entire offseason to prepare. Plus, he was going from being a defensive lineman in college to a DL in the NFL. And yet he didn't produce either--at least not right away. It took him until later in the season to learn good technique and to stop getting pushed around.

Just because a guy who played OG for Bethel College didn't learn how to become a dominating NT right away doesn't mean he has no long-term future at the position! :angry: The whole purpose of putting Jasper on the practice squad in the first place should be to give him time to learn to play NT in a comparatively low-pressure setting. (As opposed to being told you only have a few short weeks to transition to the pros, learn a new position, and start producing before Kellen Heard takes your roster spot.)

Physically, Jasper has the tools to be a much better NT than an OL. I realize his skill set at NT isn't well-developed, but that's exactly what the practice squad is supposed to be for! :angry:

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Other way around, GB offered him a spot on their roster, he chose a fresh start with Bills over them.

Right. Guys on the practice squad are technically free agents. They can sign on with any team. They don't have to, but will often give the team they are practicing with a chance to sign them to their 53 if they are getting called by another team.

In Brohm's case, he decided to go to Buffalo despite all that because the Buffalo QB situation was a train wreck and he wasn't going to get much of a shot in Green Bay. The Packers might have waited for the Bills to go after another QB and simply demoted him back to the practice squad. His problem was he ended up being a hyped up system QB that just wasn't as good as his Petrino numbers.

the guys won't always be 400 pounds

he's plain old fat and will lose some weight

also, he's a big project no matter where he goes

the bills have a lot more on the DL than the OL right now, so trying to develop an OL prospect makes more sense

I don't know **** about football and this was evident to me 30 seconds into his pro career.

I wonder if the Bills are looking for a place for him on the active roster because some other team is trying to steal him away.

They also are dangerously thin on the OL.

If they do put him on the active roster, who gets the axe to make room for Jasper? They have one more WR on the roster than they did last year. They could cut Martin.