Netflix Takes Another Hit

ajzepp

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's tons of companies that use something like "QwiksterTwitter" as their Twitter name, so I don't think that's really a big deal.

Plus, do you really think Twitter's going to care if Netflix buys Qwikster from the person who registered it?

Actually I was not commenting on the rights or wrongs of that policy. I just read that it was twitter's policy to not allow selling of handles. But, wtf do I know about twitter ?

Amazon Prime just got The Wonder Years! Actually, they have a deal with Fox to show a bunch of shows, but who cares about the rest of that crap, this is the first time the Wonder Years has been released!

Note up on the Amazon main page about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix Ditches 'Quikster' Spin-off Service

Netflix reversed an unpopular decision to put its DVD video rental business on a separate website and rename it Qwikster, saying both DVD and online streaming services will stay on the same website.

Well, at least they're not too proud to admit this was a stevestojanhead move.

Now, let's see if they can back away from the cliff further.

A service that was going fine. And then they gotta f--- with it. I don't get people who do that kind of thing.

Wow - if this doesn't have MBA program case study written all over it I don't know what does...

So many text book exaples of what NOT to do. Hard to believe this company was once a model of listening to customers and how to do business - now it's hard to believe they could have messed it up this badly in such a short time....

Edited by The Avenger

Netflix Ditches 'Quikster' Spin-off Service

A service that was going fine. And then they gotta f--- with it. I don't get people who do that kind of thing.

Seriously...as I've said previously, I went years without the need to EVER set foot in a video store, purchase a DVD, steam a movie, etc, etc. Every single movie/tv/documentary need I had was fulfilled with netflix. I was on the 5 out at a time program and I always had something here to watch. New releases in the mailbox waiting for me the Tuesday of their release, quick turnaround times, etc.

Their CEO is a complete idiot.

And then theres always this...

http://i.imgur.com/4FRxU.png

I definitely haven't lost sight of that...in fact, I called them today to offer some more feedback, cause I know they actually do listen to what we say. The problem is that they took away my options for new releases, and that was one of the main reasons I've always loved the service. I can't get new releases in the mail anymore and they give us no option for streaming them, either. I have to either purchase the bluray, get it from that Redbox thing or whatever it is, or stream it from Amazon/Vudu. That's why their business decision was so stupid, cause there are a LOT of people who want new releases on the Tuesday they come out. I don't go to the theater anywhere near as often as I used to, so I typically enjoy seeing movies on the date of release. All they need to do is add a feature where I can stream the new release (in HD, of course) for another buck or two, just like I can do with the other streamign services. That way I can still get all my needs met through Netflix and I'm not beign put in a position where I have to be disloyal. That's the irony here...I WANT to be loyal to Netflix, but they won't let me! lol

I definitely haven't lost sight of that...in fact, I called them today to offer some more feedback, cause I know they actually do listen to what we say. The problem is that they took away my options for new releases, and that was one of the main reasons I've always loved the service. I can't get new releases in the mail anymore and they give us no option for streaming them, either. I have to either purchase the bluray, get it from that Redbox thing or whatever it is, or stream it from Amazon/Vudu. That's why their business decision was so stupid, cause there are a LOT of people who want new releases on the Tuesday they come out. I don't go to the theater anywhere near as often as I used to, so I typically enjoy seeing movies on the date of release. All they need to do is add a feature where I can stream the new release (in HD, of course) for another buck or two, just like I can do with the other streamign services. That way I can still get all my needs met through Netflix and I'm not beign put in a position where I have to be disloyal. That's the irony here...I WANT to be loyal to Netflix, but they won't let me! lol

The problem with new releases is that's what the studios need to hold onto if they want to have any chance of actually selling DVDs - once you can get it on Netflix or other similar service who wants to buy it for $15. To get the rights to stream new releases on their release date would cost Netflix HUGE bucks - to a point where even their new fee scale couldn't be a workable model. The way I see if, "renting" movies either by DVD or streaming is pretty cheap right now - prices are going to go up to see what the public is willing to pay to rent a movie, then it may drop down a little due to competition. The times they are a changin'.

The problem with new releases is that's what the studios need to hold onto if they want to have any chance of actually selling DVDs - once you can get it on Netflix or other similar service who wants to buy it for $15. To get the rights to stream new releases on their release date would cost Netflix HUGE bucks - to a point where even their new fee scale couldn't be a workable model. The way I see if, "renting" movies either by DVD or streaming is pretty cheap right now - prices are going to go up to see what the public is willing to pay to rent a movie, then it may drop down a little due to competition. The times they are a changin'.

I'd be cool with that if that was the case across the board. But I can fire up Vudu and stream a new release tonight in 1080p for like four bucks. I can do the same on Amazon. Why can't Netflix offer the same option? I'd rather give Netflix my extra four bucks than Vudu, you know?

I'd be cool with that if that was the case across the board. But I can fire up Vudu and stream a new release tonight in 1080p for like four bucks. I can do the same on Amazon. Why can't Netflix offer the same option? I'd rather give Netflix my extra four bucks than Vudu, you know?

It's the across the board that concerns me. Each of these services is going to have exclusive deals with different studios meaning you'll either have to subscribe to multiple services or subscribe to one and accept that not every movie you want to stream will be available.....

It's the across the board that concerns me. Each of these services is going to have exclusive deals with different studios meaning you'll either have to subscribe to multiple services or subscribe to one and accept that not every movie you want to stream will be available.....

I figured Netflix would have been in about the best position to secure some of the best deals, cause their subscriber base is/was friggin HUGE. That's why Blockbuster started crapping themselves a few years ago, cause Netflix was growing like a week. I think the number I heard a while back was over 20 million subscribers, and that was a while ago so it's probably even bigger now. When I first heard about this deal to delay new releases in exchange for growing their streaming options, I figured they'd really become the leader in that service. But now that I've seen how good the Vudu service is, Netflix can't even touch it right now it terms of quality. The 1080p image is beautiful, and the digital audio is in DD+ format, which sounds surprisngly good. It's not as good as the lossless tracks from bluray discs, but it's very good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting less and less upset about this, and my loyalty is nearly completely gone. I like having my 2-out at a time for bluray discs, but I've been really enjoying my VUDU downloads...and now that VUDU was purchased by Walmart, I expect them to be an excellent option for a long time. In fact, the movie Patton just came out on bluray and this is a classic film that I've never had the pleasure to see. I checked on VUDU, and they have the 1080p version of it all ready to go...I'm more than happy to pay a few bucks to see it, too :thumbsup: