Netflix Takes Another Hit

ajzepp

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dish-network-planning-launch-blockbuster-230877

I honestly have no idea what Netflix has been thinking over the past couple of years. I have been a customer for TEN YEARS and have always considered the service to be the greatest value on earth. I used to always tell others how great it was to have the new releases for that week in my MAILBOX an hour or two before Blockbuster or Hollywood video even opened their doors that day. I used to love how we'd have access to their streaming libray at no charge, just as sort of a bonus to being a subscriber. Well, that's all gone now.

I watch movies from all different time periods, but I have been in the habit of putting new releases at the top of my queue each and every week. When they started delaying new releases for 30 days (for most studios), all of a sudden I found my dollars heading toward Amazon's way, cause if there was a new release I really wanted to see, I could stream it for a few bucks. That has now taken a back seat to my new favorite streaming service, Vudu. I don't get my lossless audio tracks, but I get 1080p PQ along with DD+ audio, and so far it looks and sounds glorious.

I've always hated Blockbuster since learning of their predatory practices against Netflix several years ago, but now the waters have shifted. Blockbuster is now owned by Dish Network, and apparently they are making some plans to provide a service that will be what I expected Netflix to be. They will have the main-in option, plus streaming, PLUS on-demand new releases, which is where I think Netflix dropped the ball. Why not just have newer releases available for a few bucks instead of not offering them at all? Don't take away the option from me entirely...give me a way to remain your customer. But Netflix dropped the ball here, so my money goes into Amazon's and/or Vudu's pockets instead.

I'm all about competition and choice, so this sounds like a win/win for us as the consumer...It just makes me sad, cause I've had a very long relationship with Netflix that I've enjoyed tremendously. I just wish they'd get their head out of their ass!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be nothing better than for Netflix's stock to take a hit and for Netflix to struggle from here on out to remain competitive. It will be a lesson for companies like this who have really good things going and decide they can do whatever they want and the consumer will follow like zombies. Unfortunately, that's too often the case, and it will only continue as long as consumers allow it.

I still have a Netflix account, but like you I'm looking elsewhere and will likely jump ship as soon as I get a better feel for other providers.

Meh... Anyone under 25 simply streams whatever they want to watch; there are an endless number of sites that offer an HD (at the very least DVD quality) version of your favorite TV shows the day after they air.

This service is going nowhere until the studios realize that restricting access to content is what drives people to bypass them all together. I don't want to have to sit through four unskippable trailers before I watch a DVD, and it frustrates me to hell that most TV shows aren't available on demand right after they air. Oh, I can't get this movie on Netflix for 30 days? I'll just go to icefilms and watch/download it now.

I'm fine with paying for content (I have a netflix subscription), but it's just stupid that free sites offer a better customer experience than ones you pay for.

This service will fail, just like all the rest.

If they offer streaming through Roku, I may have to look at either getting both services or switching.

Roku rules man...that's how I stream my Amazon flicks whenver I want to see a new release. And of course it's also a must-have if you want Netflix streaming...I have last year's model, but I hear the newer ones are even better.

Roku rules man...that's how I stream my Amazon flicks whenver I want to see a new release. And of course it's also a must-have if you want Netflix streaming...I have last year's model, but I hear the newer ones are even better.

i have apple tv and am pretty happy with it. might be buying another similar device for another room. are there advantages to roku over apple tv?

When they started delaying new releases for 30 days (for most studios), all of a sudden I found my dollars heading toward Amazon's way, cause if there was a new release I really wanted to see, I could stream it for a few bucks.

I know I've told you this before, and I know you still don't care, but this was NOT Netflix's fault. The move studios were requiring it in their latest round of contract negotiations. If Netflix said, "No way," then Netflix wouldn't have had ANY movies to send to your mailbox.

The studios are simply extorting money from providers, same as before. And that's the reason distributors (like Netflix and DirecTV) are working on creating their own content as well.

There could be nothing better than for Netflix's stock to take a hit and for Netflix to struggle from here on out to remain competitive. It will be a lesson for companies like this who have really good things going and decide they can do whatever they want and the consumer will follow like zombies. Unfortunately, that's too often the case, and it will only continue as long as consumers allow it.

I still have a Netflix account, but like you I'm looking elsewhere and will likely jump ship as soon as I get a better feel for other providers.

Yep, I was on the 5 out at a time plus free streaming, but due to the changes, I reduced it to 3 out plus streaming...and now I"m on 2 out plus streaming. I rent about 4 Vudu films per month, so it comes out to about the same as I was paying before.

I dunno, I just don't understand Netflix's strategy. When I heard they were delyaing new releases for 30 days, I expected to see some real improvements in their streaming options. There are some nice titles to choose from, but I do like to have access to new releases when they are available.

I know I've told you this before, and I know you still don't care, but this was NOT Netflix's fault. The move studios were requiring it in their latest round of contract negotiations. If Netflix said, "No way," then Netflix wouldn't have had ANY movies to send to your mailbox.

The studios are simply extorting money from providers, same as before. And that's the reason distributors (like Netflix and DirecTV) are working on creating their own content as well.

Right, but why can't they have on-demand options for new releases like everyone else though? I could live with this change if they didn't take ALL my options for new releases away from me. In the meantime, I am sending $20 to Vudu and Amazon each month that could have gone into Netflix's pockets. I called them and told them that's why it was a bad move...they forced me to go elsewhere because all of a sudden they couldn't accommodate my needs dammit!!! lol

Right, but why can't they have on-demand options for new releases like everyone else though? I could live with this change if they didn't take ALL my options for new releases away from me. In the meantime, I am sending $20 to Vudu and Amazon each month that could have gone into Netflix's pockets. I called them and told them that's why it was a bad move...they forced me to go elsewhere because all of a sudden they couldn't accommodate my needs dammit!!! lol

Because the studios weren't willing to offer that up. If you read about the Starz deal that fell through a couple of days ago, the biggest sticking point was that Starz wanted their content on a higher-priced Netflix tier. They wanted customers to pay roughly $16/month to stream their content, and Netflix wanted to keep it at the $8 level. Because of that, Starz walked.

Back in 2008, before streaming video was mainstream, studios gave away their libraries relatively cheap. They won't make that same mistake again, and are actually over-valuing their content IMHO.

Because the studios weren't willing to offer that up. If you read about the Starz deal that fell through a couple of days ago, the biggest sticking point was that Starz wanted their content on a higher-priced Netflix tier. They wanted customers to pay roughly $16/month to stream their content, and Netflix wanted to keep it at the $8 level. Because of that, Starz walked.

Back in 2008, before streaming video was mainstream, studios gave away their libraries relatively cheap. They won't make that same mistake again, and are actually over-valuing their content IMHO.

Well, in that case I'm glad for Vudu then. I will just continue to pare down my use of Netflix and rely on Vudu for new releases. I'd much rather have a one-stop-shop like I've been used to for the last ten years, but as long as I can get what I need somwehere I'm happy.

This Starz contract falling through really has me bummed out and worried. Netflix has been my favorite monthly service Ive ever paid for. Even with the recent pricing changes, I still derive great value from it.

But if they are pulling a ton of content (and mostly the good stuff), I'm afraid it will be the death of it. Too bad too, because I was just about to get Hulu+ and see how living with just that and Netflix would go...

Man, I must be the only one that can't keep up with all this technology. All I want is for things to work like my DVR - where I can watch a movie in one room, then stop it, go to another room, pick up where I left off...........If they can add my phone to that mix, even better.........And, there's probably a way, but it's sooo confusing!

This Starz contract falling through really has me bummed out and worried. Netflix has been my favorite monthly service Ive ever paid for. Even with the recent pricing changes, I still derive great value from it.

But if they are pulling a ton of content (and mostly the good stuff), I'm afraid it will be the death of it. Too bad too, because I was just about to get Hulu+ and see how living with just that and Netflix would go...

Let me know how you like Hulu if you try it. I cancelled it after a month, cause it seemed like every time I looked up a show I wanted to see, they didn't carry it. On top of that, if Im going to pay to watch tv, I don't want commercials...and even though it wasn't as bad as regular tv, they still had quite a few commercial breaks that you can't FF through.

Man, I must be the only one that can't keep up with all this technology. All I want is for things to work like my DVR - where I can watch a movie in one room, then stop it, go to another room, pick up where I left off...........If they can add my phone to that mix, even better.........And, there's probably a way, but it's sooo confusing!

I think DirecTv, U-verse (AT&T), or a sling box can do what you're asking

I decided I'm thru with Netflix. The only use I had for it anymore is to rent BD's that I didn't trust to make blind buys on. and right now, I've got a big backlog of purchased BD's that I haven't had a chance to watch yet. I might return if streaming quality somehow improves up to BD quality, but I still do prefer having the physical product.

I decided I'm thru with Netflix. The only use I had for it anymore is to rent BD's that I didn't trust to make blind buys on. and right now, I've got a big backlog of purchased BD's that I haven't had a chance to watch yet. I might return if streaming quality somehow improves up to BD quality, but I still do prefer having the physical product.

If you have a cable modem, check out Vudu...I love it.

I looked... no lossless sound, huh? DD 5.1 is a step up though.

Yeah, no lossless, but it's the DD+ 5.1 and it sounds pretty damn good....but they have the option to get full 1080p on most of their films if your internet can support it. It's called "HDX" or something like that. But even the HD version looks really damn good...I've been very impressed with this service so far. I watched "Red State" and "Everything Must Go" this weekend and I didn't feel I was missing much not having the actual BD in hand. For films where PQ and audio quality are paramount, though, I'll still wait for the BD from Netflix...but for other non-critical new releases I'm a Vudu guy now for sure

I'm all about competition and choice, so this sounds like a win/win for us as the consumer...It just makes me sad, cause I've had a very long relationship with Netflix that I've enjoyed tremendously. I just wish they'd get their head out of their ass!

I was an early adopter of Netflix and loved their business model of mail-in movie rentals for a flat fee. I also liked their quick turnaround time. Then they started streaming and I embraced it enthusiastically. But then they started chipping away at the fun:

- Deleted the community feature which allowed us to look at friends ratings and reviews

- Delayed new releases by 30 days: part of the 'deal' with the studios was to have more streaming content. Well, streaming content did not change by much and is fairly limited in 'good' movie content

- Increased prices (even before this latest round, prices went up by ~ $2 fairly recently)

- This latest outrageous price increase

- Lost Starz

I have downgraded to streaming only. Using Redbox+ local Family Video for DVD/BD movie watching