Willis update from nfl.com

Bills' McGahee having tests on injured knee

NFL.com wire reports

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (Dec. 20, 2004) -- Running back Willis McGahee was having tests on his injured right knee Dec. 20 and could miss Buffalo's next game at San Francisco.

"We're optimistic," McGahee's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told The Associated Press. "I don't think it's anything serious. We're not that concerned about it. I don't know how it will impact him for next week, but it's nothing to be overly alarmed about."

The Bills declined comment, saying any update will come from coach Mike Mularkey later in the day. The Bills have described the injury as a hyperextension.

McGhaee was hurt when he stumbled and landed awkwardly while catching a swing pass in the second quarter of Buffalo's 33-17 win at Cincinnati on Dec. 19. He returned for the start of the third quarter, getting five carries before sitting out the fourth quarter.

The good news is the injury is not to McGahee's left knee, the one he tore up in his final college outing for Miami in the Hurricanes' loss to Ohio State in the 2003 national championship game. That injury forced the first-round pick to miss his entire rookie season last year.

McGahee has played a pivotal role in the Bills' resurgence this season, helping them overcome an 0-4 start to climb back into AFC playoff contention. Buffalo (8-6) is 8-1 in games McGahee has started and won all six in which he's rushed for 100 yards.

The Bills' offensive backfield is already without backup Travis Henry, the former starter who's missed four games with a broken bone in his right leg. While the Bills have not provided a timetable for Henry's return, he's yet to practice since he was hurt in Buffalo's 38-9 win at Seattle.

Rookie free agent Shaud Williams is next on the depth chart, followed by third-year veteran Joe Burns, who's considered more of a blocking back. Williams had 11 carries for 30 yards filling in for McGahee against the Bengals.

This is why the Travis Henry trade talk is so silly. A team committed to the run needs two quality running backs to get through a season. Look at the Steelers with Staley and Bettis or the Pats with Dillion and Foulke. Would be nice to have Henry back this week.

Even if Willis is physically able to play, they should put him at 3rd string anyway. Let Shaud play his hand against the pathetic 4'ers and let Willis heal. IF we aren't able to build a lead, bring in Willis to get us moving.

BTW, the offense only has to play mistake free ball. Our defense is not going to give anything to San Fran. This should be a Cleveland type game for the defense.

The problem that you have with Travis Henry is that he isn't going to stay and play second fiddle to Willis....regardless of how badly he played this season....

If we dont trade him....he is going to hold out and demand a trade...you watch

What the bills SHOULD do is bring in a veteran running back with size and speed that USED to be the guy somewhere else....

I like Shawd.....but I dont want him as the primary back.....he makes a great 3rd down guy.....

Either way....Henry is history.....mark it down

The problem that you have with Travis Henry is that he isn't going to stay and play second fiddle to Willis....regardless of how badly he played this season....

If we dont trade him....he is going to hold out and demand a trade...you watch

What the bills SHOULD do is bring in a veteran running back with size and speed that USED to be the guy somewhere else....

I like Shawd.....but I dont want him as the primary back.....he makes a great 3rd down guy.....

Either way....Henry is history.....mark it down

169297[/snapback]

What specifically has TH done which makes folks so certain that they cannot both be here next year until TH becomes an FA?

Outside of one article last year which if true (if yiou hadn't noticed the media can be both factually accurate and untrue in their presentation of things) showed that Henry has godawful musical tastes, but hasn't said much that points to him as a cancer on the team or someone who has a hard time saying and doing the right thing to help the team particularly when it helps him make a dime.

This year, there were a few early season media articles in which quotes from him were offered up in a way by the media as they clearly were trying to create a 2004 version of the next RJ/DF fight to nelp them selll ads.

Both TH and WM seemed to do a good job as best as I could tell of avoiding this squabble which the media would love for them to have because it would both hurt the team and hurt their ability to make bigger bucks than they ever saw before.

Right now, TH has three strikes against him in terms of cashing in right now.

1. His performance before was very good but this year it sucked.

2. His history of injury makes him an uncertain commodity to give him big bucks based on the assumption he will produce like he did in 2003 and 2002.

3. His big problem was that he mismanaged his money and had to sign a sweetheart deal with the Bills which put off his cashing in for a year in exchange for a relatively small amount (by NFL contract terms though it was certainly more money than he had ever seen) of upfront cash.

Is there any logical reason for TH to add a fourth strike to these three realities by him suddenly adding being a cancer to his resume. If TH wants to undercut his ability to sign a big deal then he should feel free to fail to co-exist with WM.

If TH has demonstrated anything in the past few years its that he will shut up and say the right thing when he is advised to do so and it is prettty clear from the party line he regularly spouts (with the excception of the occasional media article which he has a clear record of not taking the bait to create the next controversy that they will use to sell ads) that Henry will almost certainly do the right thing for the Bills and his career.

There are certainly athletes who say what they want repeatedly like a Rickey Williams or will plant the needle but not get blamed for doing so (I supect this was Flutie's reaction to years of abuse as a short player no one though could play and who had an autistic kid dependent on him). However, I have not seen any tangible evidence of TH being the type of guy who will not do the right thing because it serves his and the team's interest.

Travis is under contract next year, and him throwing a hissy fit will not only not change that, but will lower his market value at a time he actually needs to pump his value up after his injury and after WM took his job.

Particularly after WM showed yesterday that he is one hit away from giving up the job to the #2 it seems obviously logical for Henry's best financial bet is to simply play out his contract wait for the game or two he will almost certainly get to raise his value and then sign a big deal.

Posters might choose to be juvenile if they were in Travis' shoes and throw a hissy-fit but I think there are far more quotes from him that says he won't kill his chance for big bucks by pulling a Rickey than indicators that such juvenality says more about the poster than about Travis Henry.

This is why the Travis Henry trade talk is so silly.  A team committed to the run needs two quality running backs to get through a season.  Look at the Steelers with Staley and Bettis or the Pats with Dillion and Foulke.  Would be nice to have Henry back this week.

169255[/snapback]

Please.....do not compare TH with Kevin Faulk......Kevin Faulk is a 3rd down

back who can catch......Without Dillon for the game against Pitt, the NE offense

was like a ship without a rudder......TH is much more than a 3rd down back

and will be starting for some team like Miami next year. My feeling is

TH goes for a conditional pick (like Ricky Williams) which will change based

on his performance....probably starting at a 3rd round pick and likely to

move to a 1st based on his performance.

The problem with keeping TH here next year as a backup is that it's a quick fix. TH only has one year left on his contract, and there's no way he's extending with Buffalo. We have to solve the backup running back problem a year from now anyway. We may as well solve it a year early and get a draft pick for Travis for having done so.