Who Gets Cut Next???

It seems likely - especially since the Bills retained only 8 Off Linemen - that we will sign at least one or two players who have been cut by other teams.

To make room for any new additions, the Bills will have to make a couple more cuts.

Who do you see being cut next?

What available players do you think we might sign?

It seems likely - especially since the Bills retained only 8 Off Linemen - that we will sign at least one or two players who have been cut by other teams.

To make room for any new additions, the Bills will have to make a couple more cuts.

Who do you see being cut next?

What available players do you think we might sign?

Some of the Bills cuts are surprising enough to me that I think it's a guess who's next.

On offense, I would guess Ruvell Martin and Colin Brown would be "on the bubble", esp. Ruvell Martin.

On defense, it's more interesting. My guess is they think Chris White and Justin Rodgers have more potential, but might cut them hoping to put them on the practice squad.

Kellen Heard and Arthur Moats are also possible.

Who to try to sign? I'd like to know the story on Brandon Meriweather (cut by NE) and Andre Gurode (cut by Dallas). Other than that, hope someone is scouting the scrap heap of teams with stronger lines and secondaries, in the hopes that "one man's ceiling is another man's floor". Tampa Bay and the Texans both have under-appreciated lines protecting Freeman and Schaub IMO; both have cut 5-6 OL. Could any of them have more upside than who we have, no clue.

Who to try to sign? I'd like to know the story on Brandon Meriweather (cut by NE) and Andre Gurode (cut by Dallas). Other than that, hope someone is scouting the scrap heap of teams with stronger lines and secondaries, in the hopes that "one man's ceiling is another man's floor".

Well put. +1

Some of the Bills cuts are surprising enough to me that I think it's a guess who's next.

On offense, I would guess Ruvell Martin and Colin Brown would be "on the bubble", esp. Ruvell Martin.

On defense, it's more interesting. My guess is they think Chris White and Justin Rodgers have more potential, but might cut them hoping to put them on the practice squad.

Who to try to sign? I'd like to know the story on Brandon Meriweather (cut by NE) and Andre Gurode (cut by Dallas). Other than that, hope someone is scouting the scrap heap of teams with stronger lines and secondaries, in the hopes that "one man's ceiling is another man's floor". Tampa Bay and the Texans both have under-appreciated lines protecting Freeman and Schaub IMO; both have cut 5-6 OL. Could any of them have more upside than who we have, no clue.

We will only sign no-name guys from scrao heap at minimal money that have chance of stating on any NFL team and maybe they could be backups. Once someone gets hurt on our OL we will be in on Luck sweepstakes.

Oline man from Minnesota Ryan Cook 6 year vet plays all line positions, was lead blocker (at RT) for AD a few seasons ago. Was FA in offseason (new coach and changes to the team) came back to get starting G job but was cut. I would think they try for 2 on the oline and maybe a safety.

Oline man from Minnesota Ryan Cook 6 year vet plays all line positions.

I seriously disagree with the notion that the Bills are looking at signing ANY veteran players. Contrary to the idea put out there by Mr. Negativity at The News, it has nothing to do with bean-counters. Whether you like it or not, this team is committed to Buddy's philosophy. Buddy is going to "stay the course" as he has said many times, and the entire football operation will either succeed or go down with the ship based on that sole philosophy.

Wake-up and smell the coffee, guys. Stop being disappointed that the Bills aren't signing [insert name here.]

Gurode, based on what I've heard locally (in Dallas) was a combination of factors. The #1 reason for the cut was that he was unwilling to renegotiate his contract, #2 he's still not 100% and is rehabbing a knee. I'd take him if you can sign him for 2 years at a realistic $$$. But like countless others before him he'll sign elsewhere because the Bills didn't approach him or they were unwilling to pay him what others will.

Any players on the week 1 roster are paid the full year salary. If you sign him next week and cut him in week #4, you only pay him for three weeks. Most teams will limp by week 1 then sign people next week The one exception is if there's a player out there you sign who you feel could start for you and keep that starting job all year. Then you sign him now. On the other hand players may take less to sign this week as they know they are getting a full seasons pay. Wait a week, they could get double.... for three paychecks, then get nothing.

I heard that most signings will probably be after the first game. Something about not having to guarantee the contract.

I seriously disagree with the notion that the Bills are looking at signing ANY veteran players. Contrary to the idea put out there by Mr. Negativity at The News, it has nothing to do with bean-counters. Whether you like it or not, this team is committed to Buddy's philosophy. Buddy is going to "stay the course" as he has said many times, and the entire football operation will either succeed or go down with the ship based on that sole philosophy.

Wake-up and smell the coffee, guys. Stop being disappointed that the Bills aren't signing [insert name here.]

I certainly never meant to agree with Sully and imply the Bean Counters are in charge. It's fairly normal at this point in the season to sign a player or two who have been cut by someone else. Nix said they'll be checking the waiver wire to see if there's anyone out there who could help the team. With the Bills so thin on the Offensive Line, maybe someone like Andre Gurode is better than our worst player.

I understand that Gary Marangi is available ... we could slot him in as our future at quarterback ...

Seriously, I think one of the back-up linebackers might be sitting on the bubble like Moats or a wide receiver like Martin. We are too thin at CB to even think about cutting Rogers plus I think he has a tremendous upside now that he's healthy (I thought he was one of our draft steals based on his college play.).

Obviously, if there is someone out there who will improve the team the player cut will be one of the back-ups at the position he plays.

Now ... on to Kansas City!

GO BILLS!

We will only sign no-name guys from scrao heap at minimal money that have chance of stating on any NFL team and maybe they could be backups. Once someone gets hurt on our OL we will be in on Luck sweepstakes.

This is so insightful and original. Blah, blah, blah, yawn, zzzzzzzzzzzzz ..................

Gurode, based on what I've heard locally (in Dallas) was a combination of factors. The #1 reason for the cut was that he was unwilling to renegotiate his contract, #2 he's still not 100% and is rehabbing a knee. I'd take him if you can sign him for 2 years at a realistic $$. But like countless others before him he'll sign elsewhere because the Bills didn't approach him or they were unwilling to pay him what others will.

Or, he wants to finish his career for a team perceived as a contender.

I think that's the major driver for a lot of the "name" players, truthfully, and who can blame them? They made their money, now they want their ring.

I think Batten may be cut when the Bills sign a lineman.

The current depth chart shows Batten backing up Merriman.

Not that the depth chart means everything, but I think the guys listed as 3rd string (Chris White, Kellen Heard, Justin Rogers, and yes, Moats) would go before Batten.

Batten has played very well this spring. White and Rogers are PS eligible.

The Bills cut Pianalto (TE) to make room for TE Lee Smith ("We are Marshall")from the Pats.

Or, he wants to finish his career for a team perceived as a contender.

I think that's the major driver for a lot of the "name" players, truthfully, and who can blame them? They made their money, now they want their ring.

The current depth chart shows Batten backing up Merriman.

Not that the depth chart means everything, but I think the guys listed as 3rd string (Chris White, Kellen Heard, Justin Rogers, and yes, Moats) would go before Batten.

Batten has played very well this spring. White and Rogers are PS eligible.

Good points.

Maybe we should have have guessed that Pianalto would be the first to go after getting down to 53.

But...but....but....

I know Nix wants to mostly build through the draft.

Yet there have been some promising signings of vets, mostly on D (Dwan Edwards last year, Merriman, Barnett, Morrison). In fact 4 of the 11 D starters on the current depth chart were FA acquisitions by Nix (add Davis to the aforementioned)

On O, less activity, but still 3 of 11 current starters - Urbik, Pears, Chandler.

So with almost 1/3 of the starters acquired by Nix from waivers or FA, just why is it unthinkable that the Bills might pick up some promising players off waivers?

If you mean it's unlikely to sign "healthy big name stars", I would agree - that is unlikely, in large part because healthy big name stars can pick their teams, and they want to pick contenders.

Who wouldn't, in the "Not For Long"?

The Bills cut Pianalto (TE) to make room for TE Lee Smith ("We are Marshall")from the Pats.

Good points.

Maybe we should have have guessed that Pianalto would be the first to go after getting down to 53.

Another factor to consider is who they pick up and what position they play.

If we picked up another QB, I doubt we'd be cutting a Lineman.