Upset Watch Week 1

Ramius

With the college football season officially underway, i figured i'll try and post weekly upset picks. Here's mine for week 1 with some brief descriptions of why i think they can/will happen. And maybe every now and again, i'll actually get 1 right!

The one big upset (and this will make the non-BCS fans happy), is that I’ll take Baylor over #14 TCU. TCU has to head on the road, not an easy start for any team. Baylor was looking good at the end of last season and returns a pretty good QB. TCU, while the defense is good, has someone besides current NFLer Andy Dalton under center for the 1st time in 4 years. Their offense will definitely suffer as they adjust to a new QB. Baylor is looking to make some noise in the “TEXAS and those 8 other schools” conference.

My second upset pick is ECU over South Carolina. While the gamecocks got a very good squad, I don’t trust any team that is going to trot out Stephen Garcia under center. ECU is always a tough OOC opponent for some reason, and I think they’ll come out firing. Garcia will toss 4 picks before the ol ball coach removes him, but the damage will be done as ECU rolls onto victory.

My 3rd upset pick is SMU over aTm (Texas A&M). I know the aggies are most likely headed to the SEC, but I simply don’t trust them. SMU had played decent for the first time since getting the death penalty in the 1980s, and I see all the conference issues affecting the focus of aTm. SMU will take advantage and score the upset.

With the college football season officially underway, i figured i'll try and post weekly upset picks. Here's mine for week 1 with some brief descriptions of why i think they can/will happen. And maybe every now and again, i'll actually get 1 right!

The one big upset (and this will make the non-BCS fans happy), is that I’ll take Baylor over #14 TCU. TCU has to head on the road, not an easy start for any team. Baylor was looking good at the end of last season and returns a pretty good QB. TCU, while the defense is good, has someone besides current NFLer Andy Dalton under center for the 1st time in 4 years. Their offense will definitely suffer as they adjust to a new QB. Baylor is looking to make some noise in the “TEXAS and those 8 other schools” conference.

My second upset pick is ECU over South Carolina. While the gamecocks got a very good squad, I don’t trust any team that is going to trot out Stephen Garcia under center. ECU is always a tough OOC opponent for some reason, and I think they’ll come out firing. Garcia will toss 4 picks before the ol ball coach removes him, but the damage will be done as ECU rolls onto victory.

My 3rd upset pick is SMU over aTm (Texas A&M). I know the aggies are most likely headed to the SEC, but I simply don’t trust them. SMU had played decent for the first time since getting the death penalty in the 1980s, and I see all the conference issues affecting the focus of aTm. SMU will take advantage and score the upset.

Nice call on the TCU/Baylor game!

As for SC, there's no WAY they're going to lose their opener...GAMECOCKS BABY!!!!

Looks like last years champs might fall to Utah St...in Auburn. This could be another App St/Michigan.

EDIT: Well, Utah St falls apart in the last 2 minutes and lets Auburn get 2 TD's in less than a minute.

Edited by Faustus

Nice call on the TCU/Baylor game!

As for SC, there's no WAY they're going to lose their opener...GAMECOCKS BABY!!!!

Thanks! This started because there's a guy at work and we each pick a few upsets each week and see who can do better. He took USF over ND, UGA over Boise, and 1 other.

Hopefully others here will jump on board for the competition. I'm actually trying to pick real upsets, and sometimes finding 3 of them can be tough!

Thanks! This started because there's a guy at work and we each pick a few upsets each week and see who can do better. He took USF over ND, UGA over Boise, and 1 other.

Hopefully others here will jump on board for the competition. I'm actually trying to pick real upsets, and sometimes finding 3 of them can be tough!

What is the criteria for upset? Is it just the spread? Personally I don't see USF over ND or UGA over Boise as upsets.

What is the criteria for upset? Is it just the spread? Personally I don't see USF over ND or UGA over Boise as upsets.

I think UGA over Boise would be an upset given the relative inexperience of UGA vs the heisman hopefull at QB for Boise...but then again you have basically a home field environment for the 'dawgs, so maybe wouldn't be a HUGE upset...I just hope we have a great game...I've been looking forward to this since I first heard it was scheduled about 7 or 8 months ago

I think it's a great idea...and it must feel good when you peg one that ends up coming out the way you predicted :) East Carolina and the 'cocks kickoff in a little over an hour...can't wait to see the first hour of that before I cut over to the 'dawgs and Boise...and also keep tabs on Oregon/LSU....WOW, what a great night of ball!!

I think UGA over Boise would be an upset given the relative inexperience of UGA vs the heisman hopefull at QB for Boise...but then again you have basically a home field environment for the 'dawgs, so maybe wouldn't be a HUGE upset...I just hope we have a great game...I've been looking forward to this since I first heard it was scheduled about 7 or 8 months ago

If I'm picking a winner, I'd pick Boise. A Georgia win just doesn't fit my idea of "upset". As I was saying, if it's just a spread pick, it makes sense. But I think of "upset" as a bigger deal.

If I'm picking a winner, I'd pick Boise. A Georgia win just doesn't fit my idea of "upset". As I was saying, if it's just a spread pick, it makes sense. But I think of "upset" as a bigger deal.

Well, speaking of upsets, Ramius may be heading for another accurate prediction if the 'cocks don't get their you know what together!!!

How bout those Nike combat unis on the 'dawgs!!! Lookin' SHARP in the dome, baby!!

Well, speaking of upsets, Ramius may be heading for another accurate prediction if the 'cocks don't get their you know what together!!!

How bout those Nike combat unis on the 'dawgs!!! Lookin' SHARP in the dome, baby!!

Uni's look alright, but the helmets are stupid, and I am not digging the all-white look from Boise State.

Sacramento State beat Oregon State 29-28 in OT.

Well, at least a couple of the other SEC teams showed up today, cause UGA looks TERRIBLE. They are out of shape, injured, and just plain uninspired. This may be Mark Richt's last year here, which would be too bad cause he's a really great guy. The pathetic thing is that UGA plays a no-huddle, so you'd think their defense would be accustomed to that. Instead, you've got Kellen Moore and the Broncos literally wearing them out during the drive....just pathetic. My boy Aaron Murray has no time, even with seven blockers vs five rushers, and his receivers are AWFUL. Just a very poor showing so far...this team has a lot of work to do in order to justify their top 25 ranking.

Well, at least a couple of the other SEC teams showed up today, cause UGA looks TERRIBLE. They are out of shape, injured, and just plain uninspired. This may be Mark Richt's last year here, which would be too bad cause he's a really great guy. The pathetic thing is that UGA plays a no-huddle, so you'd think their defense would be accustomed to that. Instead, you've got Kellen Moore and the Broncos literally wearing them out during the drive....just pathetic. My boy Aaron Murray has no time, even with seven blockers vs five rushers, and his receivers are AWFUL. Just a very poor showing so far...this team has a lot of work to do in order to justify their top 25 ranking.

Tonight's game has become typical of the Mark Richt era: underachieving.

Richt seems to have lost the ability to get the most out of his players.

Tonight's game has become typical of the Mark Richt era: underachieving.

Richt seems to have lost the ability to get the most out of his players.

I hate to agree, but I think you hit it right on the head. This team started the game with three penalties on their first drive, couldn't keep up with Boise St in terms of conditioning, the receivers couldn't catch a cold, the Oline consistently missed assignments, etc, etc, etc. At least the Gamecocks got their act together before the end of the first half and righted the ship. I don't know what the hell the 'dawgs were doing. Aaron Murray deserves better...

That being said, congrats to LSU for whoopin up one of the best teams in the country. Could LSU be this year's representative from the SEC to win the National Title? Will Oklahoma have anything to say about that? Who will the dark horse team be? Can't wait to find out!

I hate to agree, but I think you hit it right on the head. This team started the game with three penalties on their first drive, couldn't keep up with Boise St in terms of conditioning, the receivers couldn't catch a cold, the Oline consistently missed assignments, etc, etc, etc. At least the Gamecocks got their act together before the end of the first half and righted the ship. I don't know what the hell the 'dawgs were doing. Aaron Murray deserves better...

That being said, congrats to LSU for whoopin up one of the best teams in the country. Could LSU be this year's representative from the SEC to win the National Title? Will Oklahoma have anything to say about that? Who will the dark horse team be? Can't wait to find out!

If Richt doesn't get it together very quickly, he's going to lose his job. Too bad, as he won't get use all those new toys he recruited this year.

I haven't seen the game, but I'm surprised to see the score of the LSU/Oregon game. With all the crap going on down there, to go to Oregon and win that big says a lot...mostly that I really hate Les Miles.

But anyway, I still think Alabama is the team to beat again this year and has the inside track to the title.

If Richt doesn't get it together very quickly, he's going to lose his job. Too bad, as he won't get use all those new toys he recruited this year.

I haven't seen the game, but I'm surprised to see the score of the LSU/Oregon game. With all the crap going on down there, to go to Oregon and win that big says a lot...mostly that I really hate Les Miles.

But anyway, I still think Alabama is the team to beat again this year and has the inside track to the title.

The Oregon/LSU game was fairly ugly. Plenty of mistakes to go around. Both teams (espcially Oregon) squandered opportunities to seize control of the game in the first half. It was closer than the score indicates. Midway through the 3rd quarter, it was still 16-13 LSU. They scored, oregon fumbled the kickoff, another LSU TD, and the game was effectively over at 30-13.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.