Noooooooo!!!!

Just Jack

Nooo! George Lucas Makes More Changes to Original Trilogy

The billionaire filmmaker's latest change can be seen in the upcoming Blu-ray release of the original trilogy. In the battle between Luke Skywalker and the Emperor in "Return of the Jedi," Lucas has given Darth Vader a new bit of dialogue.

I admit, in theory it makes sense, it shows Anakin/Darth coming full circle from Ep3 to Ep6, but seeing the clip screws up the feeling I got seeing the original take.

George Lucas - a no talent hack who was lucky to have competent writers and film makers work his ideas into good films. He probably sits around at Skywalker ranch in his Ewok footie PJs watching his digitally enhanced home movies where Chewie is his best man at his wedding and the Max Rebo Band plays his kids birthday parties. giggling histerically to himself about how awesome and clever he is! What a bag with which one douches!

Edited by TheMadCap

I"m still gonna stand firm...George Lucas raped my childhood and I'm GLAD HE DID. I don't care if he decides to put singing cross-dressing dwarves into one of the star wars films...it's okay with me dammit!

Don't listen to them, George...

George Lucas - a no talent hack who was lucky to have competent writers and film makers work his ideas into good films.

I don't know if you're being serious, and if you are, how much is true, but I lost a lot of the "magic" when I heard Alec Guiness suggested to Lucas that Obi Wan should be killed-off at the end of the first, saying it would strengthen the movie, but mostly because he was sick of the movie/dialogue (I know it's not Bill Shapespeare, Al, but you should be glad you were drawing a paycheck!). I was told that Lucas wrote all 9 episodes when he was laid-up for 6 months after a car accident.

I"m still gonna stand firm...George Lucas raped my childhood and I'm GLAD HE DID. I don't care if he decides to put singing cross-dressing dwarves into one of the star wars films...it's okay with me dammit!

Don't listen to them, George...

Didn't he call them Ewoks?

I don't know if you're being serious, and if you are, how much is true, but I lost a lot of the "magic" when I heard Alec Guiness suggested to Lucas that Obi Wan should be killed-off at the end of the first, saying it would strengthen the movie, but mostly because he was sick of the movie/dialogue (I know it's not Bill Shapespeare, Al, but you should be glad you were drawing a paycheck!). I was told that Lucas wrote all 9 episodes when he was laid-up for 6 months after a car accident.

Hadn't heard that about Sir Alec, but I did hear that Harrison Ford wanted Han killed off in Episode VI and Lucas would hear nothing of it.

Hadn't heard that about Sir Alec, but I did hear that Harrison Ford wanted Han killed off in Episode VI and Lucas would hear nothing of it.

Yep. A pretty important part of the story, and it was suggested by a guy whose motive was to get out. Even after the movie came out he seemed disgusted with the story.

As for Ford, like with Guiness, I can appreciate that he thought the movie was a joke while it was being filmed. Few people realized that history was being made, especially 20th Century Fox, who gave Lucas all the merchandising rights.

I am completely serious. Lucas has been one of the most fortunate film makers in history to have other people make him look good. Sir Alec did not have a high opinion of the film and refered to it after the fact as "nonsense".

We were all told (by Lucas) that he originally had this huge 12 episode fantasy that was all scripted out from day one. That is bull ****. He made this story up as he went along, in fact, it has been shown that he didn't even write Vader as Luke's father until the late 1970's after Star Wars was in the theaters. Then there is the constant tinkering with the movies. We are told by Lucas that the original movies were not exactly as he envisioned, but for 25 years, he did nothing with them other than tinker with the sound. Watch the special features on the three prequel movies, and you won't see creative collaboration, you see people scared to death that they are going to piss George off, so they do exactly what they think will please him. The three prequel moveis suffered greatly from this, and the fact that George crapped out the scripts as he went along. Lucas should be thankfull that talented people like Lawrence Kasdan, Irvin Kershner, Gary Kurtz, Richard Marquand and Howard Kazanjian were involved in the original trilogy to take his ideas and forget them into the movies we all loved. Movies, which sadly, are being constantly destroyed by the man's tinkering and "improvements".

Check out the following link:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/index.html

And of couse, there are Plinkett's reviews of TPM, AOTC, and ROTS. If you can get around the attempts at comedy you will find a very insightfull breakdown of just how far off the sequels really are.

I should clarify something I left out above: I am in no way suggesting that the sucess of Star Wars as a franchise should be credited to everyone but George Lucas. Ok, I sort of did in my first post, but that was really more for dramatic effect. I do not believe him to be a talentless hack, although I do think he has Ewok footie PJs at home.

Yes, the man has vision, no doubting that. My argument is that he is simply not capable of doing it all himself. While he has fantastic ideas and can visualize like no other in history, he is actually a very poor script writter, a mediocre director, and that his most sucessfull films, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark were the MOST collaborative efforts, while everything else (prequels) were the least collaborative...

Edited by TheMadCap

I was wondering if this new bluray set would return to the original versions of the films. I guess that answers that question. Time to spend my money on something else.

On top of all those other changes already mentioned, the other one that always bugged me was all the music changes they made in Jedi. The celebration music at the end flowed seamlessly, but now that modernized crap completely ruined it. When your movie is scored by John Williams, don't touch anything.

I was wondering if this new bluray set would return to the original versions of the films. I guess that answers that question. Time to spend my money on something else.

On top of all those other changes already mentioned, the other one that always bugged me was all the music changes they made in Jedi. The celebration music at the end flowed seamlessly, but now that modernized crap completely ruined it. When your movie is scored by John Williams, don't touch anything.

That actually bothered me too...when I used to hear the original celebration music, it was a very nostalgic thing. But now when I see the film with that new music, it's just not the same. I didn't really mind the Hayden Christensen addition when Luke sees the apparitions, but I agree about the music 100%.

Empire Strikes Back

After the Vader/Luke sabre battle, there is a scene where Vader is walking thru Cloud City and curtly instructs his underlings:

Bring my shuttle!

Super Duper Re-mastered versions now have Vader (in a voice that doesn't sound quite like James Earl Jones) being a little more polite to his employees in asking for his shuttle

Inform Commander ....

:thumbdown:

Empire Strikes Back

After the Vader/Luke sabre battle, there is a scene where Vader is walking thru Cloud City and curtly instructs his underlings:

Bring my shuttle!

Super Duper Re-mastered versions now have Vader (in a voice that doesn't sound quite like James Earl Jones) being a little more polite to his employees in asking for his shuttle

Inform Commander ....

:thumbdown:

I draw the line at Vader pussification dammit!!! What is George thinking??

RJ > George Lucas.

Actually, Lucas runs Star Wars much like Ralph Wilson runs the Bills. They could give 2 craps what the public thinks about their product so long as the cash keeps rolling in.

Both franchises would be better off is lucas and wilson were locked in padded rooms and not allowed near anything.

Next thing you know he'll be saying "please" and "thank you" during the dinner on Cloud City.

I know, right? George needs to put down the Vader.

It would be funny if he keeps tinkering into his later years when senility may start to sink in. Next thing you know you'll have a cameo of Jabb the Hutt stuffed inside the Millenium Falcon flying at light speed or some crazy sheeat.

George Lucas - a no talent hack who was lucky to have competent writers and film makers work his ideas into good films.

Assembling a talented crew & comanding them to create such a huge franchise is not luck, but solid business acumen.

As a screenwriter, though .... he sucks as badly as Eddie Murphy.