State of the Secondary

Billsrhody

With an obvious improvement on the defensive line and in the line backing corps, it doesnt seem as though opposing teams will be able to run down our throats this year. While this is a good thing, it remains to be seen how our secondary will react to the increased work load. In the last couple of years, the unit has been ranked near the top of the NFL but mostly for lack of use rather than for real performance. Will they continue their "success"?

I love the talent and potential we have in our secondary but I'm worried that a lack of experience will end up showing some glaring holes in our defense. I think the secondary is going to be key to whether or not we have a good defensive unit this year, and I'm not sure they can live up to it.

With an obvious improvement on the defensive line and in the line backing corps, it doesnt seem as though opposing teams will be able to run down our throats this year. While this is a good thing, it remains to be seen how our secondary will react to the increased work load. In the last couple of years, the unit has been ranked near the top of the NFL but mostly for lack of use rather than for real performance. Will they continue their "success"?

I love the talent and potential we have in our secondary but I'm worried that a lack of experience will end up showing some glaring holes in our defense. I think the secondary is going to be key to whether or not we have a good defensive unit this year, and I'm not sure they can live up to it.

I think the promise we have of a pass rush this year will only help our secondary. This defense has potential to be a very good.

there is no doubt about it this team clearly needs a solid pass rush. Hopefully Merriman can provide that along with everyone else on the team. If the team has a solid pass rush its only going to help the secondary. Now...if we lack a pass rush we are in trouble, I know we were 4th last season is passing defense, but thats cause teams ran all over us and rarely threw the football. Like i posted earlier about our young WR's and what they will do this year....its the men in the trenches that sets the tone for the rest of the team. Guys the games won and lost in the trenches....

Being able to create pressure with our front four, without having to blitz all the time, is going to be the real difference maker for this defense. It's nice to have guys like Merriman/Batten/Coleman/Moats who can rush the passer effectively, but it's even better if Dareus, Williams, Edwards, Carrington, and Spencer can consistently collapse the pocket. If our defensive lineman continue to put pressure on the QB, and we can utilize our LB'ers more in coverage, I suspect that our passing defense will improve tremendously.

Plus, our defensive backs will be more effective because they will not have to cover receivers for 6-7 seconds while Brady and Sanchez take a nap in the pocket.

Many of us have long assumed we have some talent back there and they simply can't hang on forever w/ no rush. I question the talent back there. I have a sneaking suspicion McKelvin sucks. I'm not crazy about McGee either. I wouldn't mind if Florence started and hopefully Williams gets w/ it quick and is good. That said...it's incredibly hard IMO to evaluate CBs as a fan.

Edited by dayman