OT - Please help with Excel file

aussiew

I have an excel spreadsheet that I go into 2-3 times a week. So I go to open it this morning and it says "file format is not valid". :D

All my other excel files are opening with no problem and I've rebooted twice (work computer)

I've never had this happen before - any ideas?

I dont know if you can rename the extension of a file without it being open, but try to convert it to a CSV file instead of a XLS file... you may find a program that can do that for you on Download.com...

a CSV file (comma seperated value) will at least have all of your data, it just wont be formatted very nicely.

i would first go to download.com and search for "xls to CSV" or "xls csv"

OK - here's what happened. And I'm sharing this because I didn't even know this could happen.

I downloaded a word document from outlook and when I went to place it in a folder, I accidently clicked on an excel file. That document overwrote the excel file!!!! But in the view mode, it still looks like an excel file with a .xls extension. If I open Word, then click on the that particular file, it will open up and voila! I have the original word document that I downloaded.

I must have been very distracted last Friday afternoon reading TSW threads.

The worst part is that this excel file is the record of everyone's vacation time and sick time for the 2004 calendar year. And no, I didn't have it on the server. Lucky I implemented paper vacation and sick time requests so I can rebuild it.

What a blonde I am. :)