Are we that good? Or are Jags that bad?

Have not finished watching the game. What I know. After 1st half, bills 1st team rested.

If not for a fake pass interference, we had them stopped on 4th and 3.... Bills keep the ball on almost the 50 yr line. Heck. Maybe we could have added to the 17....

I really study preseason with an emphasis on game 3. However the 1st 2 games were very different from the 3rd.

So what guys? Are we good.....Is there hope?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Jags had 3 of their 4 starters on the DL not playing. We were basically going up against their 2nd string line.

If you want to take anything away from the Jags game, it should be the fact that the skill positions on offense looked fantastic behind an OL that can block. We probably won't fare so well against starters, but it is a sign of things to come if we focus on the OL in next year's draft.

We dont have any major stars, but we showed that we have the ability to put points on the board. While the fans of every team in this league think of us as a cupcake team thats an easy win. I dont think theres a team on this schedule thats looking forward to playing us. We can jump out to a lead, and without DJ on the sidelines we may be able to hang in the 2nd half.

Put it this way:

The Lions just blew out the Pats. I guarantee you that if the Bills O line played as bad against Jacksonville as the Pats O line against Detroit, this board would have had a conniption. Are we to conclude that the Pats are going to be a second-rate team this year? Why not? The Pats D line was just as awful as their O.

The point is: anybody can have a bad game. And, anybody can have a good one. The Jags had players sitting out, but so did we. IF Roscoe Parrish is in the game, that does a lot to negate the 3 Jag pass rushers that weren't in the game. And on and on....if Jones-Drew was in the game, but, if Merriman was in the game...blah, blah, blah.

The truth is that the Bills players that were in the game on both sides of the ball executed play after play, consistently, against another NFL team that has been decent recently. But, we can read as much into this as we can read into the Pats getting thrown around the field last game.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

What amazes me about fans is their need to take previous seasons as a total judge of what a team is going to do the following year.....

This is NOT the same Bills team as seasons past for a multitude of reasons.

For this game....Buffalo was rolling on both sides of the ball...and had Chan not mercifully pulled his starters at halftime this would have been an ugly blow out for the jags...they had no answer for us.

Also...Saturdays game is the closest indication you can have on where teams are at as far as regular season "ready".....

We looked ready

I don't think anybody knows what they've got until the second week of the regular season.

Preseason is all about experimenting with different players, plays, schemes, line calls, etc and trying not to give away regular season strategy to the battalion of opposing team operatives there filming the game and taking notes about what they see.

First week of the regular season, every player on every team is stoked just to be out there and gives 150% effort.

Second week games, things "settle" a little.

Edited by dpberr

It's definitely a little bit of both. I mean the Jags are definitely not the best team but they are rated higher than us and finished with a better record than us last year. And I know numbers aren't everything but they crushed us last year as well. I do beleive we are better than them this year however. I also beleive we have a lot better talent on our roster.

the Bills are better then what the doom and gloomers predict... and they are not as good as the super homers think...

but JAX showed that this team can play. JAX brought blitzes and multiple formations at our OL and they stood tall and protected Fitz well.. Well enough to heave the ball down-field a few times without being pressured

OCinBuff has it right. As much as anyone can easily come out and say the Jags didn't have thier RB and Pass rushers we didn't have Merriman, Roscoe, Jones or Roosevelt. And we also split time with the LTs. So if we both had our starting teams and the same LT playing the entire game like in the first quarter then maybe we win all the same. We also got boned by the refs on that TD drive where they got a bogus first down on 3rd from Florence barely touching thief WR. They still had thier starting line and we had some really good pressure without Light Out. We still stopped tuier 2nd string RB who is no slouch. And we only played thier starters until the half while they played thiers into the 3rd quarter.

We got blown up against Denver and laid a very bad egg that game but I font see Chicago as hopeless as some thought. The run D was good in that game and you can't argue that the pass rush wasn't amazing on all levels of play. Regardless if they had in thier 1st, 2nd or 3rd stringers in all of our guys overpowered them all game.

Overall I'm happy so far with the play in preseason. Fitz, Stevie, Jackson all showed they can do it against a legitimate defense. The Dline has showed massive improvement stopping the run from last year and thier pass rush/pressures have been greatly improved as well. The LBs were looked at as the biggest weakness of the team potentially and they have showed up so far. When Merriman plays he's dominant, Davis looks more than adequate, Barnett looks better than Poz, Kelsey seems to have gotten more reliable and not as much of a weakness, Moats can play all positions, Coleman and Batten have shown flashes that they belong on the field and give us hope that Nix and Gailey knew what they were doing by not drafting more LBs or picking more up in FA, Morrison will probably start or give plenty of backup help to the inside and we still haven't seen more than 2 minutes of Shephard. Overall I'm pleased with the unit and think they won't be killing us as much as last year.

I think our Defense will be around the 15th best/worst in the league across the board and our offense will be right where it was last year but will get more shots to be on the field because our Defense will force more punts.

My .02