Right Guard

How is it that we are fielding a right guard that analysts are referring to as one of the worst starting linemen in the league when Geoff Hangartner has experience at the position and while not great, will be a considerable upgrade. If you want to make the arguement he is line to get cut, I completely understand that, while I don't agree with making the move simply for financial reasons. But even to cut salary I just don't understand as he is the only potential backup center on the team. If he is not on the team we will only have one center, so if he is not cut wouldn't it only make sense to play him at guard unless needed at center.

How is it that we are fielding a right guard that analysts are referring to as one of the worst starting linemen in the league when Geoff Hangartner has experience at the position and while not great, will be a considerable upgrade. If you want to make the arguement he is line to get cut, I completely understand that, while I don't agree with making the move simply for financial reasons. But even to cut salary I just don't understand as he is the only potential backup center on the team. If he is not on the team we will only have one center, so if he is not cut wouldn't it only make sense to play him at guard unless needed at center.

I feel like Right tackle is a bigger issue - Pears hasn't looked good

Better to have a big fat unproven guy plucked from someone's PS than a reasonably priced veteran who wasn't acquired by the current regime. Hangartner is getting the Gurode treatment and doesn't fit Nix' mantra of bigger equals better. It doesn't help that he'll earn about 1.75M more than the prospective starter at RG. They're 25M beneath the cap and will be paring it down in short order.

Does anyone really truly believe that we are cutting underneath the salary cap so we can "pounce" on some O lineman that gets cut? That doesn't seem like a way to find talent. There were many other ways to address this need and the Bills have failed to do it. This, coupled with the let-go of Evans is really making me wonder about this franchise.

Looked like Urbik did a great job against Jacksonville, and I did not see anyone running past Pears either. I think I will hold my O-line, Ralph is cheap bashing for after the Kansas City Game.

Does anyone really truly believe that we are cutting underneath the salary cap so we can "pounce" on some O lineman that gets cut? That doesn't seem like a way to find talent. There were many other ways to address this need and the Bills have failed to do it. This, coupled with the let-go of Evans is really making me wonder about this franchise.

That is what is really making you wonder about this franchise? :doh:

Seriously?

I've been really impressed with Pears' play

It's funny ... this post is very similar to the one quoting coaches, general managers, front office personnel, etc. who critiqued the Bills. Who are these "analysts?" Where is the link that says that Urbik is "one of the worst starting linemen in the league?"

If you watched the Jacksonville game you may have noticed that Urbik played well. If you have watched the entire preseason you might have noticed that Pears has played decently too. Neither of these guys are Pro-Bowl calibar (Yet) but they have to start somewhere and frankly they are better than the broken down bodies of old cast-offs from other teams who might have had glory days back before the turn of the century.

In fact Urbik came out of college as one of the highest rated lineman after receiving these honors in college:

2005 second team All-American (Sporting News[1] and Rivals.com[2])

2007 consensus second team All-Big Ten selection[3][4][5]

2008 second team All-Big Ten selection (Coaches)[6]

2008 first team All-Big Ten selection (Rivals.com)[7]

2008 ESPN.com first team All-American[8]

So, to rip on a guy based on preseason play or to quote mysterious experts really isn't allowing for a fair evaluation.

Hangartner is a smart player but he gets bowled over by any bull rush or large nose tackle, which is one of the reasons Wood is now playing center. Center is Hang's natural position not guard. Yes, I would think they might keep him as a back up guard and center but Levitre can also play center. Not sure about Rinehart's history.

So, we have one more preseason game before the cuts come and the waiver wire gets busy. It will be interesting to see who the OL back-ups are but it is very clear that Gailey has his starting offensive line of BELL, LEVITRE, WOOD, URBIK, and PEARS.

It's funny ... this post is very similar to the one quoting coaches, general managers, front office personnel, etc. who critiqued the Bills. Who are these "analysts?" Where is the link that says that Urbik is "one of the worst starting linemen in the league?"

If you watched the Jacksonville game you may have noticed that Urbik played well. If you have watched the entire preseason you might have noticed that Pears has played decently too. Neither of these guys are Pro-Bowl calibar (Yet) but they have to start somewhere and frankly they are better than the broken down bodies of old cast-offs from other teams who might have had glory days back before the turn of the century.

In fact Urbik came out of college as one of the highest rated lineman after receiving these honors in college:

2005 second team All-American (Sporting News[1] and Rivals.com[2])

2007 consensus second team All-Big Ten selection[3][4][5]

2008 second team All-Big Ten selection (Coaches)[6]

2008 first team All-Big Ten selection (Rivals.com)[7]

2008 ESPN.com first team All-American[8]

So, to rip on a guy based on preseason play or to quote mysterious experts really isn't allowing for a fair evaluation.

Urbik's kinda fun to watch, if he wasn't starting...for the Bills.

Against Jax, there were several running plays where it looked like he was driving his guy, but really wasn't. On at least 2 of the plays, the play was designed to run wide to the right, and his guy beat him. Urbik stayed with the guy, hanging on to the defender's inside shoulder, as the guy was moving towards the play.

He's OK at sealing off a side, but on many of the plays, I'm not sure that's what he was supposed to be doing. On at least one, FJ cut it to the inside, and it wasn't by design.

But he does something I've rarely seen an OL do, especially a 330 lb. guy.

It happened at least once against Urlacher, once against Denver, and happened in a trap block against Jax.

Urbik is moving into a stationary target, usually with several yards of momentum in his favor...and gets knocked backwards! It happened twice against an LB and once against a DE. The play against Jax was a trap block, he pulled, the DE moved to the backfield and stopped, Urbik hit him and ended up moving 3 steps backwards.

It's like the Longest Yard, watching the guys hitting the tackling dummy and getting knocked over by it.

The Wilson's are trying to meet a set financial profit goal. They will cut players they think they can do without to decrease payroll & increase profits. they produced a cool million dollars this year by cutting Lee Evans. Most of us don't save that much in a lifetime.

Bad news: investing 10 million or so to produce a winner would have the nation start going a little Bills football crazy again, paying back 10's of millions in Bills regalia sales.

With one foot in the grave Ralphie doesn't even invest in canned food - chances are he won't be there to eat it.

Obviously you haven't watched Hangartner very closely. He has no business playing RG in the NFL. He is a smart player, but is weak and girly...frequently getting shoved into the QB by stronger, meaner DT's. He's an okay option for depth, and a good guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. He even got destroyed by Jacksonville's 2nd stringers!

Pears has looked solid all pre-season. Not incredible, but he hasn't made many mistakes. Personally, I think Hairston has the physical tools to be our future starting RT, but Pears will be just fine for now.

The cutting of Hangy would show nothing except the Bills ownership and bean counters (littman, overdouche) want to cut costs. Nix has been complaining about the OL depth anyway, so there is no football excuse to cut solid vet depth at both G and C. overdouche's trade of Evans and cutting hangy are 2 blatant cost cutting moves that cannot be looked at any differently.

As for the topic, i prefer Old Spice or Speed Stick.

Edited by Ramius

The cutting of Hangy would show nothing except the Bills ownership and bean counters (littman, overdouche) want to cut costs. Nix has been complaining about the OL depth anyway, so there is no football excuse to cut solid vet depth at both G and C. overdouche's trade of Evans and cutting hangy are 2 blatant cost cutting moves that cannot be looked at any differently.

It wouldn't have anything to do with him being not very good.

It wouldn't have anything to do with him being not very good.

Hangy provides good veteran depth at multiple positions along the OL, by far our weakest position on the team. He's one of the best backups weve got. I trust him going in and starting 3-4 games a lot much moreso than i do Howard or Wrotto. The only reason to cut him is more penny-pinching by ownership.

Sorry man, but Hangartner is no "considerable upgrade" IMO. There was a reason he got demoted from starting duty, he got mauled and overpowered by big d-linesman. I am no Urbik fan, but he has looked much better the last two games. I would love an upgrade, but Hangartner is not it.

Clearly you haven't actually watched the pre-season games, or were mistaking Pears for Bell...as bad as the O-line has been for the Bills at times, Pears has been the ONLY consistently capable player. I'll admit I thought bringing in Pears as a starter was a joke at first, but the guy has been playing better than anyone else on the O-line. He may not be that strong, but he has decent pass blocking skills.

Edited by Turbosrrgood