Game Notes: First Half

dayman

A few thoughts on the first half:

OFFENSE

Fitz: Slinging it around. Basically our guys seemed to beat the Jags in a lot of situations and even if they didn't Fitz put it in there and we caught it. 11/12 for 165 and a rating of almost 160. His incomplete was dropped by Easley. 10/10. If Fitz can play anything like this...or if he can play the Jags every week, we'll be in good shape.

Johnson: Guy just has "it." He can run a variety of routes. He's out there blocking. He hit that big one, he runs a good comeback and he can pretty much get the quick inside slant (Favre route) anytime he wants. He's a stud and looked like it today.

Easley: I don't wana call his hands shaky but he's a bit of a TO. He likes to suck it into his stomach. He dropped one but caught another difficult one with his hands on the sideline. Showed good footwork on that play. He gets out there and blocks too. I saw him out there blocked 56 (LB) for the jags a few times. Clearly we are more physical blocking downfield with him than we are w/ Evans but that goes w/ out saying.

Fred: He's Fred. He's awesome. Amazing seeing him smoke Poz in coverage. Finds cracks where there seem to be none. Enough said.

Urbik: He just doesn't seem strong to me. I know it's all technique and quickness to the point of push but he gets blown up a bit. He had a few good combo blocks and there was one play in particular where him, Wood, and Pears all somehow put a hat on their guy and really just jacked us up the field on the right side. All in all, not bad last night but still not amazing.

Pears: Didn't do anything overly terrible. Showed some strong run blocks here and there.

Wood/Levitre/Bell: They are who they are. We know who they are.

DEFENSE

Kyle Williams: Is awesome. He is the first off the ball almost every snap. He's so low he's practically on the ground. He never stops is pursuit towards the action. He's the Great White.

Dareus: IDK what his deal was but he looked slow coming off the snap he wasn't low and he got no penetration. I know he wore a boot this week hopefully he just had a bad week of practice/was banged up and this is nothing to worry about. He drew quite a few doubles but when he did he got dominated by them. He just didn't play good last night.

Dwan Edwards: Solid game. His missed tackle on Garrard during that TD scramble was the worst and most pathetic off the 3/4 misses we had.

Carrington: Yet another good outing. A pass knock-down or two, handles himself well. Got ankles broken by Garrard on that broken TD scramble but so be it.

Spencer Johnson: Decent outing. Also missed tackle on Garrard's run.

Troupe: Looks like he basically just sucks to me. He couldn't really look more slow or unathletic he doesn't seem to have much push at all really.

Byrd: They (many of you) say he can't hit. IDK about that.

Florence: Played good to me. BS PI call. Stepped up against his old team.

McGee: Got smoked pretty bad on that one play by Hicks.

...if I recall Corner had a couple bad plays and George Wilson had a few good ones (in run support).

LBs as a whole: Didn't notice much. Batten is pretty relentless it's nice he could be a decent player eventually. We all saw Kelsay get thrown to the ground on that one play by that top 10 pick rookie LT the Jags have but I guess it'll happen from time to time.

My overall impression was that they looked totally in sync on offense. The Jags can't cover anyone and we can blow them off the ball too. They look like one of the worst teams on D I have ever seen right now....so lets not go crazy just yet. Fitz slings it in there....no matter what he doesn't wait for you to be wide open. With some bigger receivers and a line that probably won't block all that well against better pass rush that's a good thing. All in all offense was great as we all know. Defensive front looked solid. It was disappointing to see Dareus play the way he did but all in all I can't complain.

Good game. Impressive offensive outing against one of the crappiest Ds around. Defense played solid against (arguably) one of the crappiest offenses around (without MoJo).

Oh damn that's right haha. Must have been BAtten then I guess getting thrown to the ground there? Some white Kelsay looking guy coming of the end...tried to spin...shouldn't have.

Edited by dayman

It just goes to show you that one fan can look at something and come away with totally different impressions on things......while still agreeing on others....

Pears.....Pears does not "look overly terrible"....the guy has been our most consistant linemen of camp....not bad for a guy that everyone was trying to replace.

Darius....people are not going to like this but the fact is if teams cant run on us? Then Darius is doing his job.....when he played the end he was eating up blockers and when they moved him inside he was getting good pressure.....he isnt going to dominate when teams figure out he is one of our best linmen and double him on every play....that is why he makes the guys around him better. I think nitpicking on players when we dont know the exact scheme they were running is silly....especially when the defense as a whole was flat out dominating...the fact is that with the rid penalties the Jags COULD NOT MOVE THE BALL....I mean not at all...while the starters were in.

It just goes to show you that one fan can look at something and come away with totally different impressions on things......while still agreeing on others....

Pears.....Pears does not "look overly terrible"....the guy has been our most consistant linemen of camp....not bad for a guy that everyone was trying to replace.

Darius....people are not going to like this but the fact is if teams cant run on us? Then Darius is doing his job.....when he played the end he was eating up blockers and when they moved him inside he was getting good pressure.....he isnt going to dominate when teams figure out he is one of our best linmen and double him on every play....that is why he makes the guys around him better. I think nitpicking on players when we dont know the exact scheme they were running is silly....especially when the defense as a whole was flat out dominating...the fact is that with the rid penalties the Jags COULD NOT MOVE THE BALL....I mean not at all...while the starters were in.

For the record I said Pears DIDN'T do anything overly terrible. Not that he did. I said he played pretty good had some nice run blocks. I'm not crazy about him in general though if your point was that you like him a lot then we disagree I guess. Dareus I stand by. He just wasn't coming off the ball good or getting much push from what I saw. Just one game and he was in a boot this week.

Anyway, I don't claim to be a scout and I just watched the first half..and typed up thoughts. It's not a film study.

Edited by dayman

"Rating of almost 160." You do realize that a 160 is not technically possible, right? That a 158.3 is considered a "perfect" rating??

Oh, na I didn't. Don't really care about QB ratings but his was almost 160 which I basically think of as being perfect. His was 158.3. His was perfect. Thank you Mr. QB Rating Guy. Valuable contribution. I love this board.

Edited by dayman

Thanks dayman. I watched the game twice and replayed a bunch of downs so I'm not in complete agreement with everything you mentioned but it's appreciated.

I'm glad Dareus played. Yes with a tender ankle it's possible to make things worse.

But counterpoint, he's still a young player and benefits from the snaps AND I think it sends a message to the coaches/teammates that he's a tough guy and he's not gonna accept the "kid gloves treatment."

You know who else looked good? Spiller. He even made a solid block on a linebacker to buy Fitz some time. On a few of his 7 yard runs, he was one step away from a 60 yard TD. But...it would be heresy to admit this right?

No. It might have been his best game as a pro in terms of decision making, patience, and commitment to the play design.

Bentley and Tasker mentioned that Spiller had not yet embraced the "one cut and go" design of the running game but last night I thought Spiller was much better. On those two consecutive 7 yarders he nearly did break them… but he didn't have any negative yardage plays either and that's a big improvement.

I was greatly encouraged by Spiller's play. But Freddy's my man.

Well I appreciate your thoughts dayman. I can't remember where I read it, but Dareus was not 100%. So I can't understand, why the hell would they play him. That's why he looked the way he did.

Mistake by Bills coaching staff perhaps??

Yep, it was reported that he was "70%" last night. Which showed. I say rest him (and Merriman) the next week and have him ready for KC.

As for Easley's first drop, it was a tough catch. He was fully extended and the defender hit him almost immediately.

I really cannot agree that Pears has been our most consistent lineman...Wood, by a country mile.

I will say Pears so far hasn't been the disaster we feared he might be.

Wood is very inconsistent. He has everything (tools) to be great but sometimes he doesn't play as dominant as he should. I hope I don't get in trouble by pointing this out being Wood one of the untouchables (player that can't be critized no matter what)