"Make Mom Proud"

Here's the thing, though...the opposing players only hear general noise levels, not specific words. Yelling "FREE NECK TIES IN THE LOBBY AFTER THE COMPLIMENTARY POTATO SALAD!" has about the same effect as yelling "!@#$ YOU, YOU kitty !@#$ !@#$ DICKBAG!!!"

So how does swearing increase the intimidation factor? In fact, the best way to make noise on a big play for the opposing team is to pound on the seats and bleachers. And kids LOVE doing that.

Family friendly doesn't mean placid. It just means not out of control.

I remember when we played the Cowboys on the Monday Night game. Romo said that he received a bunch of extreme comments from Bills fans (which I would never do personally. I'm relatively quiet at games, I just like the rowdy environment) and he went on to say that the Ralph is one of the toughest and intimidating places to play in the league. He threw two INTs that game against an inferior Bills team. I really do think fans can get in the head of opposing players.

Bills games are a party. I don't condone fighting or vandalism, but swearing and yelling are a part of football. No matter how much the Bills try, they will never be able to eliminate that from the stands.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when we played the Cowboys on the Monday Night game. Romo said that he received a bunch of extreme comments from Bills fans (which I would never do personally. I'm relatively quiet at games, I just like the rowdy environment) and he went on to say that the Ralph is one of the toughest and intimidating places to play in the league. He threw two INTs that game against an inferior Bills team. I really do think fans can get in the head of opposing players.

Bills games are a party. I don't condone fighting or vandalism, but swearing and yelling are a part of football. No matter how much the Bills try, they will never be able to eliminate that from the stands.

Fair enough I suppose. You'd have to be pretty damn close to the field to have your specific voice not only heard by the players, but also heard distinctly from the thousands of other voices. Maybe it was a chant.

I've been to 6 stadiums to see the Bills play, and nowhere is as bad as the Ralph in terms of treatment of opposing fans, out of control tailgaters, etc...

I give the Bills credit for the things they are attempting to do in terms of controlling the knuckleheads, but as long as people have 4-6 hours of drinking time before the games, the worst behavior is not going to stop.

Ditto - with the possible exception of being pelted by beer bottles in the Foxboro parking lot simply for wearing a Bills #7 Flutie jersey, I can't think of crowd more hostile to visiting colors than RWS. (And I've been insulted by some of the best!)

I'm sorry but I'm with the opposition on this one. When it comes down to it you'd have to be in about the first 4 rows of the section he's standing in front of. There are about 20 people out of 80k that can reach any given player personally. It also omits anyone upperdeck, or home sideline. Seems like a weak excuse.

Not to mention-- do you want to be the most vulgar belligerent fans or the loudest and most passionate?

Edited by NoSaint

OK, I just have to add this one caveat - 99.99% of the time I don't condone Bills fans behaving badly, but I just LOVE that Brian Cox HATED playing here, and that we used to throw snowballs (and sometimes D-cells) at him :beer:

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Make Mom Proud!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by The Senator

I remember being a kid in War Memorial at a night game (might have been pre-season). They used to serve beer in bottles then (I was too young to drink at that point), but a thrown bottle hit right next to me on one of the support posts. I remember being pretty surprised at all the drunk adults at the game. So maybe things have not really changed that much but saying that I still support the new policy.

Here's the thing, though...the opposing players only hear general noise levels, not specific words. Yelling "FREE NECK TIES IN THE LOBBY AFTER THE COMPLIMENTARY POTATO SALAD!" has about the same effect as yelling "!@#$ YOU, YOU kitty !@#$ !@#$ DICKBAG!!!"

So how does swearing increase the intimidation factor? In fact, the best way to make noise on a big play for the opposing team is to pound on the seats and bleachers. And kids LOVE doing that.

Family friendly doesn't mean placid. It just means not out of control.

I went tonight and had fun. And it certainly was "kid's night." The most out of control guy that I heard was a grandfather, WITH his grandchildren, and oh boy, did he let out a few words. But that was the worst. Granted, it's preseason, and I was in seats that I've never been in before (20 rows up and RIGHT on the 50--I'm used to either end zones or the top tier corners when I have the opportunity to go). Not sure what factor was most dominant (the "rich people" seats, the kid's night, the "Make Mom Proud" or the preseason), but it was ok.

As for the bolded part, I am going to scream that next time it's third down. That's hilarious, and no one can hear what I'm screaming through cupped hands anyway.