"Make Mom Proud"

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article535666.ece

"This is a family event, so watch your mouth, or you'll catch a whole lot of heck."

I've never been a big fan of the way a lot of people act at games. On the other hand, I don't necessarily think that a NFL game needs to be a family-friendly event; in my mind, it's a place for grownups to blow off steam, like a rock concert is. I wouldn't have taken a 10-year-old to see Alice Cooper last night; why should a football game be different? (And more kids will grow up to make at least some money playing music than will grow up to make at least some money playing sports, so the "role model" argument doesn't work for me.)

I'm more concerned about grownups staying out of fights and car accidents than I am about making the stadium a nice place for children.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't necessarily think that a NFL game needs to be a family-friendly event; in my mind, it's a place for grownups to blow off steam, like a rock concert is.

I disagree. If we can't expect a pro sports event to be family-friendly, then the country is sliding further and faster than I thought.

"This is a family event, so watch your mouth, or you'll catch a whole lot of heck."

I've never been a big fan of the way a lot of people act at games. On the other hand, I don't necessarily think that a NFL game needs to be a family-friendly event; in my mind, it's a place for grownups to blow off steam, like a rock concert is. I wouldn't have taken a 10-year-old to see Alice Cooper last night; why should a football game be different? (And more kids will grow up to make at least some money playing music than will grow up to make at least some money playing sports, so the "role model" argument doesn't work for me.)

I'm more concerned about grownups staying out of fights and car accidents than I am about making the stadium a nice place for children.

Some anecdotal clues that these events are not the same:

No Alice Cooper kids day

No Alice Cooper kids merchandise

Alice Cooper doesn't stream all his shows on basic cable

Alice Cooper doesnt use big furry kid friendly mascots at shows

Kids tend not to play rock star on a pee wee level

Music has never been marketed as a father-son activity

I'm not saying the stadium should be G rated, but I definitely see a middle ground.

Some anecdotal clues that these events are not the same:

No Alice Cooper kids day

No Alice Cooper kids merchandise

Alice Cooper doesn't stream all his shows on basic cable

Alice Cooper doesnt use big furry kid friendly mascots at shows

Kids tend not to play rock star on a pee wee level

Music has never been marketed as a father-son activity

I'm not saying the stadium should be G rated, but I definitely see a middle ground.

I like the middle ground idea a lot, mostly because (as above) I don't like the atmosphere at the stadium at all, but hold on there--the furry mascots are recent, kids definitely play music, including rock, at a pee-wee level, and music has always been a family activity. Well before there was football, families were singing together and fathers were teaching sons how to play instruments. Still happens all across the country.

Yes, there is no Alice Cooper kids day, but I would argue that there shouldn't be a Bills kids day, either.

The idea of Alice Cooper kids merch has me laughing, though.

(And I am not an Alice Cooper fan--just picked that one because of the concert last night.)

I like the middle ground idea a lot, mostly because (as above) I don't like the atmosphere at the stadium at all, but hold on there--the furry mascots are recent, kids definitely play music, including rock, at a pee-wee level, and music has always been a family activity. Well before there was football, families were singing together and fathers were teaching sons how to play instruments. Still happens all across the country.

Yes, there is no Alice Cooper kids day, but I would argue that there shouldn't be a Bills kids day, either.

The idea of Alice Cooper kids merch has me laughing, though.

(And I am not an Alice Cooper fan--just picked that one because of the concert last night.)

My point on much of the music stuff was that although music is a family activity - rock music is not. I think football skews towards the family end of the music spectrum, not the mosh pits and chicken sacrifice end of it.

That's not to say ban booze, and boot people that are too tall so kids can see better but I do think as men at a game, we can be aware of our surroundings and while having fun still be respectful. Honestly some of my favorite off the field memories in stadiums involve kids being stupid excited about anything and everything going on. The other day the ref gave the kid in front of me the coin from the coin toss. It was pretty cool to see something simple create a fan for life.

Last, just because you think it's new or you don't agree doesn't mean that it's any less true. You seem reAsonable on the topic though, for the most part. Could always go off the deep end and prove me wrong but I think we more or less agree.

Edited by NoSaint

I think people should use discretion. If there happens to be a young kid in the seat in front of you, just cool it off a little with the swearing. Not dropping F-bombs really shouldn't alter the game experience.

I am not what anyone would call a teetotaler, not by any stretch of the imagination, and admit to having been embarrassingly inebriated at some of the games during my younger days, but I was never more horrified at the collective behavior of a Bills crowd than that Monday night game against the Browns a few years back. Even though I took the NFTA Game Day Express to avoid a possible DUI or getting hit by a DWI-driver, I still had to amble through a parking-lot 'scene' of raging bonfires within inches of the gas tanks of the SUVs that transported the adjacent cadres of screaming drunks. The closest comparison I can think of is that it best resembled a burnt-out city-scape right out of Escape From NY - flames, smoke, screamed-obscenities, violence, and mayhem all around me. After that game, I swore off attending night games at The Ralph altogether.

The proliferance of alcohol abuse, when coupled with what seems to be a steady decline in basic human civility toward one another, is what has driven then Bills organization to these new policies at this point - and while we may not like it, whom do we have to blame?

So go to the games, enjoy a few beers even - but continue to behave like animals, and you'll see even more draconian policies.

OK, StuckInCincy-like rant is over...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

I think people should use discretion. If there happens to be a young kid in the seat in front of you, just cool it off a little with the swearing. Not dropping F-bombs really shouldn't alter the game experience.

THIS is more what I'm afraid of. I don't get wasted at games (in fact, I rarely go because of the number of people who do get wasted at games), but I am prone to scream obscenities when the team screws up, and I want to be able to let it all out without disturbing someone's precious snowflake. I guess I see the other side of it: if you want to bring a child to a game, expect some foul language. (But there should be no need to expect violence or the type of behavior that Sen describes below.)

I am not what anyone would call a teetotaler, not by any stretch of the imagination, and admit to having been embarrassingly inebriated at some of the games during my younger days, but I was never more horrified at the collective behavior of a Bills crowd than that Monday night game against the Browns a few years back. Even though I took the NFTA Game Day Express to avoid a possible DUI or getting hit by a DWI-driver, I still had to amble through a parking-lot 'scene' of raging bonfires within inches of the gas tanks of the SUVs that transported the adjacent cadres of screaming drunks. The closest comparison I can think of is that it best resembled a burnt-out city-scape right out of Escape From NY - flames, smoke, screamed-obscenities, violence, and mayhem all around me. After that game, I swore off attending night games at The Ralph altogether.

The proliferance of alcohol abuse, when coupled with what seems to be a steady decline in basic human civility toward one another, is what has driven then Bills organization to these new policies at this point - and while we may not like it, whom do we have to blame?

So go to the games, enjoy a few beers even - but continue to behave like animals, and you'll see even more draconian policies.

OK, StuckInCincy-like rant is over...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

I've seen this scene too many times. Disgusting.

THIS is more what I'm afraid of. I don't get wasted at games (in fact, I rarely go because of the number of people who do get wasted at games), but I am prone to scream obscenities when the team screws up, and I want to be able to let it all out without disturbing someone's precious snowflake. I guess I see the other side of it: if you want to bring a child to a game, expect some foul language. (But there should be no need to expect violence or the type of behavior that Sen describes below.)

I've seen this scene too many times. Disgusting.

And I think for the most part people understand when one flies out, as opposed to the guy that has a steady stream going for hours on end. On the other hand there are people that are pricks on both ends of the spectrum. Johnny might see or hear a few things it doesn't give you the right to throw a fit every time it happens either. I don't see those people as near a threat to my gameday experience though.

Expect some foul language, yes. But people take it to the extreme and use the sporting environment as a crutch while conveniently forgetting they're out in public. I was at a Bills-Raiders game and a Raiders fan was there with his daughter who was probably 10 or 11. She was dressed up in Raiders make up and all, and to any rational person it was kinda cute. To a couple of drunken idiots, though, she was public enemy #1 and they called her a "little B word" twice before the dad stood up and confronted them. Like most idiots who would pick on a little girl, they backed down.

That's just one example of people going beyond just venting when it comes to cursing. There are plenty of others. Why should being at a football game make people forget they're still a part of humanity. Would anybody call an innocent 10 year old girl a little B word at the grocery store or the post office?

And I think for the most part people understand when one flies out, as opposed to the guy that has a steady stream going for hours on end. On the other hand there are people that are pricks on both ends of the spectrum. Johnny might see or hear a few things it doesn't give you the right to throw a fit every time it happens either. I don't see those people as near a threat to my gameday experience though.

Cool.

Expect some foul language, yes. But people take it to the extreme and use the sporting environment as a crutch while conveniently forgetting they're out in public. I was at a Bills-Raiders game and a Raiders fan was there with his daughter who was probably 10 or 11. She was dressed up in Raiders make up and all, and to any rational person it was kinda cute. To a couple of drunken idiots, though, she was public enemy #1 and they called her a "little B word" twice before the dad stood up and confronted them. Like most idiots who would pick on a little girl, they backed down.

That's just one example of people going beyond just venting when it comes to cursing. There are plenty of others. Why should being at a football game make people forget they're still a part of humanity. Would anybody call an innocent 10 year old girl a little B word at the grocery store or the post office?

Saw something very similar with a ten year old boy in Flyers gear outside the arena after a Sabres game. I confronted the guy who was picking on him. Frankly, it wouldn't make a difference whether it's a kid or a grownup in that situation; there's friendly banter and then there's being a dick. What we saw is the latter.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

To me anyway, you can still blow off steam without being a barbarian about it. I like to think that no matter how many parking lot pops i have had before the game, I still am cognizant enough to not start screaming obscenities if there is a family in front of me.... at least hard core language anyway. Of course when you get 73,000 people together for anything it can get dicey, but it's definitely not a license to do whatever you want.

I'll preface my post with full disclosure. I am an old fogey so maybe my views maybe are a bit skewed .....

You can't compare rock concerts to sporting events because by and large "rock stars" are single generational, granted there are a few who's music span a few generations (The King, and Beatles come to mind), and there are a few that seem to hang on well past their "best if used by date" (Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, The Who ... and yes Alice Cooper come to mind), but by and large I go to see my rock stars, my kids go to see their rock stars, and it's getting to the point that my grand kids go to see theirs ... but never the three shall meet.

Sporting events on the other hand are multi generational, My Dad followed Babe Ruth, I followed Mickey Mantle, my son follows A-Rod. The rules of sport either stay the same or evolve slowly over time ... If my dad were still alive I could envision him, me, my son, and my grandson all sitting together and enjoying a baseball or football game, but there is no way all four of us would enjoy a Glen Miller concert.

Cool.

Saw something very similar with a ten year old boy in Flyers gear outside the arena after a Sabres game. I confronted the guy who was picking on him. Frankly, it wouldn't make a difference whether it's a kid or a grownup in that situation; there's friendly banter and then there's being a dick. What we saw is the latter.

I think the last part touched on what the goal is for most - NFL included. Create a fun fan experience, some joking around being part of that - but a safe and generally friendly one. There's being a human having a little fun, and there's being a belligerent jerk. Sometimes it's hard to regulate without stepping on some toes. Generally I think the NFL creates a good gameday experience.

To me anyway, you can still blow off steam without being a barbarian about it. I like to think that no matter how many parking lot pops i have had before the game, I still am cognizant enough to not start screaming obscenities if there is a family in front of me.... at least hard core language anyway. Of course when you get 73,000 people together for anything it can get dicey, but it's definitely not a license to do whatever you want.

And it's tough because it's a security team that's often part time, works games maybe 10 days a year.... It's hard to do quality control in those ranks and make sure every guard in every section, gate or concourse is on the same page. A huge volume of people coupled with a scarcity of events makes for sometimes spotty policing.

Sporting events on the other hand are multi generational, My Dad followed Babe Ruth, I followed Mickey Mantle, my son follows A-Rod. The rules of sport either stay the same or evolve slowly over time ... If my dad were still alive I could envision him, me, my son, and my grandson all sitting together and enjoying a baseball or football game, but there is no way all four of us would enjoy a Glen Miller concert.

macaroni, Let's Go Yankees!

But for the love of god, get that boy in a Jeter jersey! :)

Take away the booze from the parking lots and don't sell any at the stadium. Then you'll have a kid friendly environment. Are the Bills ready to really make this stadium family friendly? The "Mom" slogan is corny!