Mike Williams

Thailog80

Actually, FFS, if you watch the tape you'll see Tucker getting pushed around pretty badly on a number of key occasions.  I'm telling you - at least yesterday, he was losing his individual matchups.  I don't blame the guy, he's just not strong enough to be an elite (or even competent) player in this league at this point.

168930[/snapback]

I hope to gve it a watch and going over tonight (the holiday season may well intrude on my Billsdom(that darn family godblessem). I think one of the things I have found most fun about the OL the past few years is that like few other units in football the whole can really be much better than the sum of the individual parts.

Seeing episodes like the Bills OL getting ravaged by injuries during a game against TN and seeing moderate players at best (and an actual stumblebum at tackle like one of our Gs whose name I forget fill in at tackle against Jevon Kearse and hold him down with a lot of help was an indicator of this. Seeing a player like Dusty Ziegler who I originally rolled my eyes when we plugged him in as our center and in fact have him do a good job which won him a big time contract at center and then to see JMac take a bunch of low taklent guys and turn them into an SB making OL has convinced me that a key to OL assessment is not judging individual players but judging how well they play together.

It doesn't necessarily strike me as a non-starter that Tucker does not have the the athletic abilities to be the individual player we can afford to be our LG. The question is whether the advantages and disadvantages of Tucker, Jennings, Williams, Teague, Villarial and the back-ups and plan Bs we can put together can be the OL we want and deserve..

I think this perspective is the key to putting together no names like the NYG group which took them to the SB or the below weight guys that Denver used for years to open holes for Terrel Davis and other rushers.

The key is not the individuals, the key is the unit.

For everyone jumping on Mike Williams in this thread....

Lets keep in mind that a big part of the offensive resurgence is Willis Magehee.....who wasn't in for most of this game.....

Despite that fact......they were able to give Drew plenty of time even though Drew couldn't do anything with it for most of it......

I thought given the circumstances the O Line played ok....not good...but ok

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Ok. I would say thats pretty accurate. The line played ok. It's amazing how ok they look when Willis isn't in there covering up for their blocking and getting 3-4 yds out of nothing. Point being is, Willis' running ability covers up a lot of ok performance.

For everyone jumping on Mike Williams in this thread....

Lets keep in mind that a big part of the offensive resurgence is Willis Magehee.....who wasn't in for most of this game.....

Despite that fact......they were able to give Drew plenty of time even though Drew couldn't do anything with it for most of it......

I thought given the circumstances the O Line played ok....not good...but ok

169305[/snapback]

John,

This one is not on Drew....His receivers stunk it up and couldn't make some

of the catchs that were hitting between the numbers.....Neufield, Moulds

and Reed dropped a few each....

John,

Earlier in the season, I meant to look at STATS, Inc. and see Drew's stats after each game, particularly paying attention to the number of "dropped" passes by his receivers. I never got around to doing it, but I'd be interested to see it. For the season, he has 24 dropped passes, but it seems like more.

John,

169443[/snapback]

To be honest I would like to see what Trafford can do at TE....

I dont know....I just gotta feeling about him

It seemed to me that Cinncinatti had 8 - 9 men in the box for most of the game to stop the run. McGahee would look inside, and there'd be no hole. He'd break the ball to the outside, and there would be 2 - 3 unblocked Cincinnnati defenders there to greet him at or behind the line of scrimmage. With that many men in the box, our passing game should have destroyed their defense. It didn't. I'm not sure whether to blame it on the receivers, the TEs, or the QB. But the line itself seemed to give Drew good time most of the day.