Mike Williams

Thailog80

Did the "Hole" o line actually open up a "hole" yesterday???  I may have missed one cause I blinked a few times.

168581[/snapback]

It was not their best game, but MaGahee was ailing, and Drew didn't get murdered. This OL is the Best the Bills have put forth in 10 or so years.

Sure, I would like to see it improve, but they have played SO well as of late that even I am off their case.

I thought that with Bengals LDE Duane Clemons being out, there would be less of a pass-rush. Turns out his replacement, Carl Powell, got 2 sacks, which is 30% of the sacks that Clemons had on the season. Combine that with the lack of a running game, and I wasn't too happy with MW yesterday. However someone mentioned that he was coming off an injury, so I'll wait until the Pgh to make further comment.

It was not their best game, but MaGahee was ailing, and Drew didn't get murdered. This OL is the Best the Bills have put forth in 10 or so years.

Sure, I would like to see it improve, but they have played SO well as of late that even I am off their case.

168589[/snapback]

5 Olinemen can't block 6-8 guys in the box. At some point the RB has to make guys miss (or run over them) and/or the passing game has to be effective enough to back the LBs off. Neither of those things happened yesterday. Just looking at the effectiveness of the running game doesn't tell you if the line was doing a good job yesterday.

I'd agree with you, this Oline is the best we've seen on the field in 10 years.

I thought that with Bengals LDE Duane Clemons being out, there would be less of a pass-rush.  Turns out his replacement, Carl Powell, got 2 sacks, which is 30% of the sacks that Clemons had on the season.  Combine that with the lack of a running game, and I wasn't too happy with MW yesterday.  However someone mentioned that he was coming off an injury, so I'll wait until the Pgh to make further comment.

168790[/snapback]

I read somewhere that Chris Villarial gave up both sacks but I didn't watch the tape or anything.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Of course Chris Vill. gave up the sacks it's never Mikeys fault. BS. Watch the tape and tell us what you think. Also check out that run blocking.

Backup left d-end Carl Powell was heard from yesterday and I know who was assigned to block him the majority of the time. Those are the facts but you all can spin them any way you like.

Big Mike has really stepped up his game this year. After the offseason madness and him skipping practice that one day he seems to be a different guy.

I was really impressed with him the day after he skipped practice. He was talking to the press and straight up told them that he will take whatever punishment the coaches wanted to give him. He owned up to his own actions said it was his fault and that he is going to work hard from then on out. He has held up to that promise.

Both Mularkey and Bledsoe have pointed out this year about the force that Big Mike is out there.

Big Mike hasn't turned into a flop like people claimed he would. He was slow in his development for a 1st round draft pick but what's done is done. It is Mularkey's team now everything before it doesn't mean sh--.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

All true kota.

I was just evaluating his play yesterday and imo it wasn't very good. It wasn't terrible but definitely not good.

Way to step up this season and look like I hoped you would when we drafted you. He will only get better also. Props to the hole o-line. Ross Tucker has a nasty streak......I like it.

168570[/snapback]

Williams hates apologies. Send him a beef quarter from Angus beef.

I read somewhere that Chris Villarial gave up both sacks but I didn't watch the tape or anything.

168811[/snapback]

Some folks were also finding fault with Tucker for giving up the sacks as well as Bill's Daily's indictment of Villarial for the sacks which is in addition to MadBuffetc. finding fault with Williams.

I plan when a free moment allows to take a look myself, but my guess is that this will probably be a case where the whole OL really must get indicted for a sack and pressure issue rather than one player simply getting beaten. We outsiders can never really know for sure what the line calls are on a particular sack and who had blocking responsibility for a player making a sack, or whether a particular blocker had double responsibility on a play if he has the order to provide a chip block and misses either his primary or secondary assignment. The center can easily be at fault for a particular sack if he made a stupid or impossible line call that the guy whom we can see whiffing and flailing on the sack is not actually the main problem here,

My guess is that in many cases on Sunday, MW is actually the primary issue here but rather than an indictment of his capabilities as an athlete, he has practiced little and is coming off an injury which might have led to some odd blocking assignments if Teague was shifting things to help out an injured MW or not giving him full call to help out Villarial because of the injury.

The problems which the OL had across the board opening holes against a Cincy D which has been vulnerable to the run is more of an indicator of a systemic problem rather than laying it all on the performance of one player.

There are cases where the performance of a particular player is more clearly the issue. If we had run wonderfully when we went left but stunk up the joint when we went right I'd be more inclined to blame the RT but we couldn't run well on the left, right or up the middle. Against the Jets earlier this season Abraham got three sacks going up against Jennings and because Abraham is an edge rusher the two were often one on one so finding fault with Jennings play as an individual in this case is probably valid. However, in this case as Powell is used to doing business on the inside and as the loss of two TEs and the replacement with Neufeld, Peters and Trafford is probably significant for an RT I'd really want to look at this hard before drawing conclusions.

He didn't have a very good game yesterday, but it didn't hurt us.

I'm still pleased with what I've seen from him this year.

If you throw out his brutal 1st 4 games,

MW has really stepped it up.

GOD BLESS JIM McNALLY!!!

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday
I plan when a free moment allows to take a look myself, but my guess is that this will probably be a case where the whole OL really must get indicted for a sack and pressure issue rather than one player simply getting beaten.  We outsiders can never really know for sure what the line calls are on a particular sack and who had blocking responsibility for a player making a sack, or whether a particular blocker had double responsibility on a play if he has the order to provide a chip block and misses either his primary or secondary assignment.  The center can easily be at fault for a particular sack if he made a stupid or impossible line call that the guy whom we can see whiffing and flailing on the sack is not actually the main problem here,

168917[/snapback]

Actually, FFS, if you watch the tape you'll see Tucker getting pushed around pretty badly on a number of key occasions. I'm telling you - at least yesterday, he was losing his individual matchups. I don't blame the guy, he's just not strong enough to be an elite (or even competent) player in this league at this point.

Way to step up this season and look like I hoped you would when we drafted you. He will only get better also. Props to the hole o-line. Ross Tucker has a nasty streak......I like it.

168570[/snapback]

No apology is needed. He deserved all the heat he was getting. He brought it upon himself. He showed up late and overweight, skipped practices and mini camps, did not play well at beginning of the season, etc.

That being said, he is playing much better. So, has the entire offensive line. There are a lot of people who deserve credit his and the line’s improvement (the most obvious is Mike Williams himself) but I think you are starting to see how important McNally is.

I thought that with Bengals LDE Duane Clemons being out, there would be less of a pass-rush.  Turns out his replacement, Carl Powell, got 2 sacks, which is 30% of the sacks that Clemons had on the season.  Combine that with the lack of a running game, and I wasn't too happy with MW yesterday.  However someone mentioned that he was coming off an injury, so I'll wait until the Pgh to make further comment.

168790[/snapback]

Blame stevestojan for that. He angered the gridiron gods.

I agree Coach Tuesday. I'm hoping our highest pick is used to draft the best LG available. Elton Brown or CJ Brooks would be the bomb! Tucker may still start the year but we can work the new guy in slowly until he is ready, and Tucker will be a great interior backup like Marcus Price is at tackle.

MW had a good gamw overall yesterday. Sealed off the right edge for the two big WM runs. Didn't give up a sack!

And for the draft Mckinnie people out there--for what it's worth the Vikings are VERY dissatisfied with his play. Listening to one of the national programs last Thursday (can't remember if ESPN or Foxsports) the Lions advantage was that they were going up against the LT of the Vikings Mckinnie who they described as a very disappointing pick as a top ten pick for the Vikes. Gave up 19 sacks in 28 games, and the fans there are not quite as enamored with him as some on this board are! Hey, I think he is a good tackle--but don't have tunnel vision just analyzing your own team. Three of the most overrated players in the NFL were LT--Samuels and Ogden on the list.