Wood to center is a mistake!!It can be fixed before the opener

Lenigmusx

I still do not understand the need for the uninformed to bash Pears at every turn.....go back and WATCH the games....Pears has been solid. We have ranted and raved about changing RT so much that now it is just accepted no matter what.

The fact is if you watch Pears he is DOING HIS JOB.....he is not dominating anyone in particular but he is also not getting beat on the pass rush.....the pressure is not coming from his assignments.

The problem is Urbik and now the unsettled LG position which is just bizarre to me.....Levitre solidified his position if they wanted to give Rhinehard "a chance to start because he has worked so hard in camp" then it should be at Urbik's position who continues to struggle.

What they should do is bring in a veteran RG (maybe even two OL) and dump Wrotto and Howard. Behind our first OL unit we are absolutely atrocious.

John, you should know by know that it's far more popular to be a lemming and keep parroting the same nonsense whether it bears any basis in reality or not. I completely agree with you on your assessment of Pears and Urbik. Urbik looks completely lost when he's out in space. I know they were playing base last night but that should simplify things rather than complicate them. I'm not sure how the whole Wood, Levitre, Hangartner, Rhinehart, Urbik scenario plays out but it's clear that Gailey wanted to get bigger but it's not having the desired result. Pound for pound I'd say Hang appears to be just as strong as Urbik and better in space.

They'll review the film and I wouldn't be shocked to see a number of lineup changes this week.

This line is 2 draft picks, and everyone's castoffs, I believe that is a recipe for disaster. We would be 2 times better if we picked up Bulaga instead of CJ Spiller. Not to mention drafting a Left Tackle instead of Maybin. We've wasted so many picks on little whimps Donte, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin, CJ.

I still do not understand the need for the uninformed to bash Pears at every turn.....go back and WATCH the games....Pears has been solid. We have ranted and raved about changing RT so much that now it is just accepted no matter what.

The fact is if you watch Pears he is DOING HIS JOB.....he is not dominating anyone in particular but he is also not getting beat on the pass rush.....the pressure is not coming from his assignments.

The problem is Urbik and now the unsettled LG position which is just bizarre to me.....Levitre solidified his position if they wanted to give Rhinehard "a chance to start because he has worked so hard in camp" then it should be at Urbik's position who continues to struggle.

What they should do is bring in a veteran RG (maybe even two OL) and dump Wrotto and Howard. Behind our first OL unit we are absolutely atrocious.

Completely agree......after going back and re-watching and analyzing every single offensive play of the first team, Pears played pretty well. Granted, he certainly is not a mauler in the run game, but he deserves the least criticism of all the offensive lineman. First of all...Bell's play was atrocious. He was consistently beaten off the edge by Dumerville, Bunkley, and Von Miller. Wood wasn't terrible, but he had a couple plays where he just looked lost, missed his assignment, and Fitz had instant pressure. The guards ALL looked horrible. Completely destroyed by a pretty weak defensive line. Chandler also looked pretty bad in run and pass blocking.

Pears is the least of our worries at this point.

This line is 2 draft picks, and everyone's castoffs, I believe that is a recipe for disaster. We would be 2 times better if we picked up Bulaga instead of CJ Spiller. Not to mention drafting a Left Tackle instead of Maybin. We've wasted so many picks on little whimps Donte, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin, CJ.

To be fair, Hangartner was a FA acquisition from Carolina that was fairly well thought of. We also drafted a tackle at #4 a few years ago that should still be anchoring our line. Imagine a scenario if you will where Mike Williams puts directs his energy into being great and not eating and we spend the money to keep Jason Peters.

I think Peters is one of those players that Nix would fight like hell to retain.

Just as a point of clarification, Fitz made the line calls last season.

GO BILLS!!!

He did, according to Hangartner.

If you have 3 bald tires and one good one, rotating the tires isn't going to do much good.

I don't think Bell was getting beat last night because he was confused on which guy to block.

To be fair, Hangartner was a FA acquisition from Carolina that was fairly well thought of. We also drafted a tackle at #4 a few years ago that should still be anchoring our line. Imagine a scenario if you will where Mike Williams puts directs his energy into being great and not eating and we spend the money to keep Jason Peters.

I think Peters is one of those players that Nix would fight like hell to retain.

Mike Williams was nine years ago.

Nine.

We've used 3 number one picks on RB's since then, and have drafted 967 DB's in that time (968 if you count Maybin).

Completely agree......after going back and re-watching and analyzing every single offensive play of the first team, Pears played pretty well. Granted, he certainly is not a mauler in the run game, but he deserves the least criticism of all the offensive lineman. First of all...Bell's play was atrocious. He was consistently beaten off the edge by Dumerville, Bunkley, and Von Miller. Wood wasn't terrible, but he had a couple plays where he just looked lost, missed his assignment, and Fitz had instant pressure. The guards ALL looked horrible. Completely destroyed by a pretty weak defensive line. Chandler also looked pretty bad in run and pass blocking.

Pears is the least of our worries at this point.

I went through the same exercise, and Bell was by far the worst out of all of them. However, I thought Pears was pretty bad versus speed rushers off the edge. Just like Bell, Pears struggled vs Linebackers. DJ Williams specifically took advantage of this on a couple plays.

I graded out Pears pretty negatively. He, like Bell, had major issues with speed rushers off the edge. It's by far the biggest OL weakness right now. The other thing I noticed really hurting the OL was the confusion on who to block. There were multiple plays with someone looking for their block, while a rusher got through the line without getting hit. On the pass to Jackson that resulted in a roughing the passer penalty, but Pears and Bell got beat by speed rushers on the edge. It was ugly.

The rest of the line was pretty average - below average. All of them did some good and some bad. Urbick I thought made some nice blocks, but we can't rely on him to do any type of consistent running. He's outmatched on screen plays. Rinehart I thought did a nice job pulling on a couple plays, but he also needs to get better. Wood made a couple nice blocks but also got beat/failed to block anyone a couple times.

I think moving Wood to center has weakened the line alot. Although he is better at the point of attack (in theory) he seems to be much worse at making the line calls. This also seems to be hindering his abililty to just play football. I think shifting the interior of our line back to Wood Hangman and Levitre would do alot to stabilize things right now. Bell was awful last night and against a player that frankly reminds me of Maybin. Pears was equally bad and so was Chandler. They did not read any of Denvers Blitz packages and its sad when Freedy Jackson made the best block of the night. That said I think shifting the interior line back and picking up a free agent tackle (anyone at this point) would make the line OK. Last Night was absolutely awful though.

:thumbdown:

Can't agree more, I was thinking maybe Pears should start at LT...can't be worse.

No I am not an insider but I am a former Left Tackle and I have a very good understanding of Blitz pick up and O line calls. It was clear that the oline was not recognizing Blitz packages last night and that players were reading the wrong directions on passing plays putting them out of position to carry out their blocking assignments. If players are out of position on plays they are either:

A. Bad and not executing assignments

B. Incorrectly reading the defense putting them out of position

It seem to me that although Hangartner was weak at the point of attack last year he was very good at making the correct line calls and getting the other linemen into good positions. I think Wood may be struggling with this and a move back to Guard could strengthen the line for now. It is clear the line needs help

This is why it is pre season. Wood will never get that experience in practice. The guy was a fantastic center in college. You don't just forget the position. I played center for 4 years, the center talks to the guards and they relay the verbage to the tackles. Who knows where the translation is getting lost. Denver came out to play last night and we didn't. Stop over thinking a fkn preseason game!! When we play at home next week and we light it up this board will be saying how great everyone is and they just needed time to gel.... Blah blah blah.

Where have all the good posters gone????? I guess we have to wait till the season starts before we draft luck, trade Fitzpatrick, start thigpen, cut bell, Ralph moves the team, we go to LA, and skoobys BMW is parked in the players lot.

This is why it is pre season. Wood will never get that experience in practice. The guy was a fantastic center in college. You don't just forget the position. I played center for 4 years, the center talks to the guards and they relay the verbage to the tackles. Who knows where the translation is getting lost. Denver came out to play last night and we didn't. Stop over thinking a fkn preseason game!! When we play at home next week and we light it up this board will be saying how great everyone is and they just needed time to gel.... Blah blah blah.

Where have all the good posters gone????? I guess we have to wait till the season starts before we draft luck, trade Fitzpatrick, start thigpen, cut bell, Ralph moves the team, we go to LA, and skoobys BMW is parked in the players lot.

I am far from a "doom and gloomer" usually most posters on the board rip me for my optimism. You are definitely right about in game experience as well. I just thought Wood looked like a more instinctive football player at Guard and with the current disarray across the line the other combo of linemen seemed much more stable "in the Now". If we had a couple real road grader tackles it would seem switching Wood to center would be more logical but but the interior line was much better with our current personel with Hangartner at center. I also hope they get Levitre back on the field this week. Why haven't they tried Levitre-Wood-Rhinhardt?? Now in light of Gailey's comments I now better understand some of what was going on on Saturday. When one team "Game plans" and the other does not the one that does not is clearly going to look worse than they are and conversely the team that does will appear better than they are. Defensively Denver game planned, they ran stunts, Blitz packages etc.. So maybe that is all that is going on here in reality, after all it's preseason you can't really tell much from it.

Edited by Lenigmusx

I am far from a "doom and gloomer" usually most posters on the board rip me for my optimism. You are definitely right about in game experience as well. I just thought Wood looked like a more instinctive football player at Guard and with the current disarray across the line the other combo of linemen seemed much more stable "in the Now". If we had a couple real road grader tackles it would seem switching Wood to center would be more logical but but the interior line was much better with our current personel with Hangartner at center. I also hope they get Levitre back on the field this week. Why haven't they tried Levitre-Wood-Rhinhardt?? Now in light of Gailey's comments I now better understand some of what was going on on Saturday. When one team "Game plans" and the other does not the one that does not is clearly going to look worse than they are and conversely the team that does will appear better than they are. Defensively Denver game planned, they ran stunts, Blitz packages etc.. So maybe that is all that is going on here in reality, after all it's preseason you can't really tell much from it.

I know what you are saying, the only thing that confuses me is Bells inconsistency. He should be better now that he is healthy. Dumervil is a stud but there really is no reason to get abused like that.

We have to be realists. 8-8 would be fantastic. can we go 9-7? Stranger things have happened....