Top 15 Defense

Justice

Cris Brown is reporting that Reggie Corner has been the most productive corner in camp. Although he hasn't had as many interceptions as some, he has more pass breakups than anyone. Just thought I'd mention this since you didn't bring up his name. Our secondary is looking pretty good all around.

The line is looking incredibly dominant and there should be some exciting plays on this side of the ball this year. As a result, I think there will be an increase in sacks and interceptions. I also think there will be a decrease in rush yards allowed. All in all, it does look like there is a lot to be optimistic about with the D.

Merriman shouldn't be reliably counted on. The only thing that's really changed on defense is drafting Dareus.

I predict bottom half of the league defense UNLESS Merriman stays healthy and our current players IMPROVE. Barnett is good, sure, but so much better than Poz it'll magically make our LB corps awesome? I don' think so.

x2

The OP must be a Delirious Dreamer like most in here.

I truly believe our Bills will field a top 15 defense, this year. With our last two drafts, the subtraction of a couple of weak links (Poz and Whitner) and good free agent moves will see to that.

Here's my breakdown:

D-Line

Dareus, Williams and Edwards are the starters. All three guys can play and play extremely well, especially Dareus and Williams. These two guys will give opposing offensive lines fits.

Our back-ups aren't too shabby either, with S. Johnson, Troup and Carrington giving our starters a breather. Carrington and Troup haven't proven themselves just yet, but they seem like they put in the work in the off-season that will propel them to the next level.

Linebackers

One of the more maligned groups in the NFL last year just took some major steps in the right direction with the additions of Merriman and Barnett.

Barnett is a major improvement over Poz, especially in coverage and can play the run as good or even better than the aforementioned Poz, mainly because of his athletis ability and sideline to sideline speed. Let's not forget to mention that Barnett is also a much better fit in the 3-4 defense than his predecessor.

Merriman looks like he's back and the Bills have him in the perfect position, ROLB, opposite Dareus on the left. This strategy prevents offenses from stacking both sides of the line for help in stopping these two beasts and puts the Bills at an advantage.

Andra Davis is a good run stopper that fits in well with current line-up. He'll be asked to do what he does best, which is stop the run while his counterpart (Barnett) will be responsible for defending the pass.

Kelsay is the weak link out of the group. He will be asked to maintain his ground on the edge be a run stopper. Before the end of the year, I can see Batten taking over for Kelsay further solidifying our front seven.

Secondary

Although there's no elite cover corner in the bunch, I think this group is good and deep as a whole with McGee, McKelvin, Florence and Williams all seing time at cornerback against various offensive fronts.

McGee looks like he's healthy again and I just love the move made by the Bills' management of putting Terrance in the slot. I believe he will flourish there because of his athletic ability.

The safety positions are in good hands with Wilson and Byrd manning their spots, respectively. Both players have a nose for the ball and a knack for making a big play and that's what you need at the safety position. Whitner was a liability in coverage and Wilson will be an upgrade there.

Coaching

George Edwards was pretty green as a coordinator last year and got much needed experience that should help him come along, this year. It also helps that he got an influx of talent to work with. On top of that, he has Dave Wannstedt to help him out, which is huge.

Overall, I see the Bills Defense giving teams more than they imagined and surprising a lot of people in the process. As long as our offense is capable of stringing together some long drives, I don't see any reasons why this defense shouldn't be a top 15 defense this year.

I can't wait!!!! KC is in trouble, week one!!!

This makes a lot of sense.

I wish someone could make a case for our offense like you did with the D, because they better be scoring points on defense if we want to win some games.

Sure, the Bills have a shot. Offensive lines league-wide are mediocre at best this year. Sure you'll have a star player or two, but analyzing OL units as a whole, it's a whole lot of meh, even for playoff caliber squads.

There will be plenty of opportunities for an improved defense to shine.

One big problem with that assessment: the Bills lack depth. If everyone stays healthy, then maybe top 15. But if people start going down - and the Bills have had a TON of people end up on IR over the past five or six seasons - they're going to plummet. Dareus and Williams can't play every down. Spencer Johnson's had a good camp, but we're thin at LB.

I truly believe our Bills will field a top 15 defense, this year. With our last two drafts, the subtraction of a couple of weak links (Poz and Whitner) and good free agent moves will see to that.

Here's my breakdown:

D-Line

Dareus, Williams and Edwards are the starters. All three guys can play and play extremely well, especially Dareus and Williams. These two guys will give opposing offensive lines fits.

Our back-ups aren't too shabby either, with S. Johnson, Troup and Carrington giving our starters a breather. Carrington and Troup haven't proven themselves just yet, but they seem like they put in the work in the off-season that will propel them to the next level.

Linebackers

One of the more maligned groups in the NFL last year just took some major steps in the right direction with the additions of Merriman and Barnett.

Barnett is a major improvement over Poz, especially in coverage and can play the run as good or even better than the aforementioned Poz, mainly because of his athletis ability and sideline to sideline speed. Let's not forget to mention that Barnett is also a much better fit in the 3-4 defense than his predecessor.

Merriman looks like he's back and the Bills have him in the perfect position, ROLB, opposite Dareus on the left. This strategy prevents offenses from stacking both sides of the line for help in stopping these two beasts and puts the Bills at an advantage.

Andra Davis is a good run stopper that fits in well with current line-up. He'll be asked to do what he does best, which is stop the run while his counterpart (Barnett) will be responsible for defending the pass.

Kelsay is the weak link out of the group. He will be asked to maintain his ground on the edge be a run stopper. Before the end of the year, I can see Batten taking over for Kelsay further solidifying our front seven.

Secondary

Although there's no elite cover corner in the bunch, I think this group is good and deep as a whole with McGee, McKelvin, Florence and Williams all seing time at cornerback against various offensive fronts.

McGee looks like he's healthy again and I just love the move made by the Bills' management of putting Terrance in the slot. I believe he will flourish there because of his athletic ability.

The safety positions are in good hands with Wilson and Byrd manning their spots, respectively. Both players have a nose for the ball and a knack for making a big play and that's what you need at the safety position. Whitner was a liability in coverage and Wilson will be an upgrade there.

Coaching

George Edwards was pretty green as a coordinator last year and got much needed experience that should help him come along, this year. It also helps that he got an influx of talent to work with. On top of that, he has Dave Wannstedt to help him out, which is huge.

Overall, I see the Bills Defense giving teams more than they imagined and surprising a lot of people in the process. As long as our offense is capable of stringing together some long drives, I don't see any reasons why this defense shouldn't be a top 15 defense this year.

I can't wait!!!! KC is in trouble, week one!!!

This is the work media insiders are too lazy to do. Great post. I think it's obvious Buffalo will be far more competitive this year. All your points are valid.