Water spout buzzes my condo

PromoTheRobot

Never saw a tornado/water spout in person before. This one just hung along the shore for 20-30 minutes before breaking up on land. :w00t:

youtube.com/watch?v=8wOp7Th_yMM

PTR

Pretty cool to see. Glad no damage occurred and everyone is safe.

Is that your video? The commentary is hilarious (but you might get the NSFW police upset).

KD, there are no storm cellars at beach condos so there really wasn't anyplace to hide, other than the stairwell. The spout turned inland about 4 buildings north of us and quickly dissipated. DD, yes that's my video and the voices are me and my wife. We were mesmerized but also not wanting to be gawking while we getting whisked away to Oz. Actually since there is only one road off the island, we would have driven right into the worst part of the cell so it was good we stayed put.

PTR

Stupid question Promo. How much damage can a water spout do? Are they as strong as a tornado?

Water spouts are tornados, just over water. So they can do as much damage as one. This one happened to be fairly small and fizzled out a soon as it was on land, but it did break up a dune walkway before it was done. Those people standing around were not too smart.

Lucky beach bum...this is one of the best times to be at the beach - all the kids are gone and the temps are still great.

Man you know it! Weather, crowds, etc have been great all week. Today's my last day, dang. I recommend Carolina Beach highly.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR - just got here hours ago - staying at ocean sands just down the road - pretty wild, didn't see any damage on the way in though. How close did it come to you?

PTR - just got here hours ago - staying at ocean sands just down the road - pretty wild, didn't see any damage on the way in though. How close did it come to you?

Do water spouts usually cause damage on land? I thought they were only hazardous to marine interests... ???

Water spouts are tornados, just over water. So they can do as much damage as one.

In theory...

But... As soon as they hit land, they almost usually fizzle out... No? Am I mistaken?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

No kidding. Enjoy yourself. I'm leaving in 20 minutes. Best place for a vacation, IMO. When the spout made landfall it was 9 houses north of us. We were on the 600 block of South CB Blvd.

Do water spouts usually cause damage on land? I thought they were only hazardous to marine interests... ???

In theory...

But... As soon as they hit land, they almost usually fizzle out... No? Am I mistaken?

Not an expert. This one certainly did not do much damage, though I'm not sure I'd want to run into one. FYI, I just wrote a buddy who is a meteorologist and asked. I'll let you know what he says.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No kidding. Enjoy yourself. I'm leaving in 20 minutes. Best place for a vacation, IMO. When the spout made landfall it was 9 houses north of us. We were on the 600 block of South CB Blvd.

Not an expert. This one certainly did not do much damage, though I'm not sure I'd want to run into one. FYI, I just wrote a buddy who is a meteorologist and asked. I'll let you know what he says.

PTR

THNX PTR... I am curious to know... I am not down playing the water spouts... But, I just never thought they did much damge coming ashore... It will interesting to see what your friend says.

THNX PTR... I am curious to know... I am not down playing the water spouts... But, I just never thought they did much damge coming ashore... It will interesting to see what your friend says.

I'm interested in hearing this too. My completely uneducated guess is that the water somehow provides energy to the system. Water spouts are impressive if you aren't in danger.

I'm interested in hearing this too. My completely uneducated guess is that the water somehow provides energy to the system. Water spouts are impressive if you aren't in danger.

BINGO! Which means IF you are only out in a boat... Probably why the people on the beach were so lackadaisical???? Were they locals or tourists?