Post-Evans, concerns about respect from defenses down the field?

eball

The pats don't have a "deep threat" either and Brady seems to find open receivers. You can scheme guys open in the passing game.... Especially with a smart QB who knows what you are trying to do

Exactly. What does anyone expect him to say ... "yes, we are totally !@#$ed"?

The thing is, as far as possible responses there are two extremes… one which is your hypothetical and the other which is what Gailey actually said.

Just think about that for a second and then think about what 31 other coaches would have said.

In a world of "coachspeak," Gailey is refreshingly honest, straight-forward, and blunt.

his record speaks for itself

4-12 :worthy:

Spartacus is made happy.

I consider Gailey 4-10. No one can win games with Trent "Checkdown" Edwards :devil:

That's awesome, 4-9 minus the dynamic duo of brown and brohm

I consider Gailey 4-10. No one can win games with Trent "Checkdown" Edwards :devil:

That's awesome, 4-9 minus the dynamic duo of brown and brohm

The thing is, as far as possible responses there are two extremes… one which is your hypothetical and the other which is what Gailey actually said.

Just think about that for a second and then think about what 31 other coaches would have said.

In a world of "coachspeak," Gailey is refreshingly honest, straight-forward, and blunt.

And if you really want to make yourself cry, think about what Dickless would have said:

"Well, you know, it's very hard to get open as a WR in the NFL. The defenses are so good, and it's very hard to throw deep. We'll just have to give it our best shot, but it's going to be very hard to move the football against these strong defenses."

:sick:

And if you really want to make yourself cry, think about what Dickless would have said:

"Well, you know, it's very hard to get open as a WR in the NFL. The defenses are so good, and it's very hard to throw deep. We'll just have to give it our best shot, but it's going to be very hard to move the football against these strong defenses."

:sick:

Exactly what I was gonna say... how soon folks forget.

Evans lovers say that now Stevie will have all the doubles coverages and now players like Revis will be covering Johnson

full time. So of course they are saying that Chan messed up and now nobody will be open. A few things to add here to that:

1. Do you really think after the year that Stevie had that he wouldn't be getting the double teams and Revis' of the world now? With or without Lee he has turned into the face of the Bills WR Corp and he will/would be the attack point of every defense we face.

2. Lee has never done anything more than run a deep route. What has you believing that all the sudden he's going to do something different? Even if Stevie got all the doubles all year long do you really think Lee could get open? He's never done it and it's not going to change now.

I'm not saying were better without Lee. Personally I think were better with him, however by how much is the question. I don't think it's enough to make a huge difference in the W column. How much does 30-40 receptions and 4 TDs really change you over an entire season? It doesn't make much sense. I think Chans play style will utilize more WRs in the slot and use shirt slant routes over the middle that will get more production out of guys like Rosevelt, Jones and Easley because they are big physical guys where Lee would have been bumped off the coverage and out of the okay because he can't power his way I to the middle. It's deep or nothing with Lee and you've already seen his best years . These young guys will only get better and that's the main reason why Lee is gone. They are more versitle and have room to grow with thier QB. Why us itee didn't have that good a repor with Fitz? It's proven by his low numbers last year. And my other question is why wasn't Lee at camp Fitz in Arizona working out withe the rest of the WRs? He should have been first in line to get in a better page with Fitz to ensure a comeback year. Instead he was the only one not there, when he should have been the first one on the plane.

Mrags.....I just wanted to compliment you on your post....of our "new" posters here you seem to have a lot of common sense.

We have several burners available that run just as fast or Bette than Evans, it isn't like a deep route needs a huge amount of form either.

Who do we have that is a "burner"? Roscoe is quick but his 40 time is 4.43, Nelson's is 4.54, Stevie's is 4.59, Jones runs a 4.47 and Easely runs a 4.46. CJ runs a 4.27, probably the fastest guy on the team but

he isn't a WR. Davis runs a 4.4 which is solid but not quite what I would call a burner and he has been a bust so far. Lee ran a 4.33. He may be getting old but he hasn't had a serious injury

which neither Easely or Roscoe can say.

I think we will survive without Lee just fine because what these guys lack in speed they make up for with other qualities whether it's quickness, height or strength. Even if we get along fine without him, the fact is that we lost a very fast, experienced and sure handed receiver and a 4th round pick wasn't exactly a brilliant coup trade-wise.

Evans either was not allowed to or did not play over the middle. His game was limited to sidelines. He was also not big in YAC. I hated to see him go but if you really look at what he did last year he was not a good fit for this offense.

Couldn't you say the same thing about Spiller?

The funny part of this topic is 'when have we had offensive respectability in the past 5-6 years?

Granted Evans was a great WR for the Bills, but homeboy was under utilized by every coach he has played for...when drafted Evans had the potential and the breakaway skills of a top pro for this team--but came away with just 2 of 6 seasons with 1,000 yards.

However...In the past few seasons, I've seen him get jammed at the line and not recover, drop catchable passes and watched his speed diminish...

If you don't believe me go back and watch for yourself...

EDIT: I agree with Chan on this one...

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Who do we have that is a "burner"? Roscoe is quick but his 40 time is 4.43, Nelson's is 4.54, Stevie's is 4.59, Jones runs a 4.47 and Easely runs a 4.46. CJ runs a 4.27, probably the fastest guy on the team but

he isn't a WR. Davis runs a 4.4 which is solid but not quite what I would call a burner and he has been a bust so far. Lee ran a 4.33. He may be getting old but he hasn't had a serious injury

which neither Easely or Roscoe can say.

I think we will survive without Lee just fine because what these guys lack in speed they make up for with other qualities whether it's quickness, height or strength. Even if we get along fine without him, the fact is that we lost a very fast, experienced and sure handed receiver and a 4th round pick wasn't exactly a brilliant coup trade-wise.

Couldn't you say the same thing about Spiller?

Two things...

First, I always find it hard to believe that a tenth of a second in 40 times makes any difference when pads are on and you are running against a CB or safety that may bump you at the line. Its not like these guys start off in blocks on all fours with a gunshot to start a play. That being said, evans certainly did have a talent at getting deep, and probably the best we've had since beebe at that skill, but I think its more important how fast a guy is when running a route against coverage than what he can do when being timed running a straight line in shorts. I mean, just grab a stop watch and try and see if you can start and stop it in a tenth of a second. Its not easy. I know it is the only measure we have for speed, but I think it should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't care what a person's forty time is (as long as its respectable), If he can run with pads with the wind blowing and a guy in his face, or can get to top speed quickly or stop and start quickly, that's a guy that will be successful in my humble and non-professional opinion (I am personally slow as a llama, so I can't make any first hand judgments)

Second, on a related note, my uncle knew Lee well and would hang out with him frequently. He was always really nice and down to earth when he would hang out with us, always just acted like a regular guy even if the rest of us thought of him as a superstar. Last guy I saw my uncle hang out with that much was Darryl Talley, someone he still talks to today, so he has a pretty good feel of who the "solid" guys are. I am pretty bummed that Lee has left town, even if he wasn't the best wide receiver in the league, he was sure as hell good enough to be a productive player on the Bills, I mean, do you really think Namaan Roosevelt (who I like) is a better person to have on your team than Lee? As for him not fitting Gailey's scheme, I thought gailey was good at building an offense that matched the talent on the team? Anyways, I am not one to gripe about the coulda, woulda, shoulda. Its time to move forward, but its a shame to see another good player and a really GREAT person leave the bills.

Go Bills.