How the playoffs should work

col_forbin

It should be the four div. winners from both the NFC and AFC, then the next four best teams in the league. If all four come out of the AFC, then it is what it is. Thoughts???

168136[/snapback]

Round 1 Wildcard Game: Buffalo Bills vs. Atlanta Falcons..........

I like it <_<

Although I am still undecided about a Bills/Patriots superbowl. :devil:

It should be the four div. winners from both the NFC and AFC, then the next four best teams in the league. If all four come out of the AFC, then it is what it is. Thoughts???

168136[/snapback]

the playoffs are just fine the way they are,it just happens that the nfc sucks this year.in the 80's and early 90's the nfc was superior and the afc was the joke.this will always flip flop back and forth.what would you want..............2 afc teams fighting for the superbowl?no in every sport you have your different opposing conferences as it should be.well this is tough love we could go 10-6 and not make playoffs,but that happened to miami recently also.we just have to be that much better/hungrier next season is all! go bills

the playoffs are just fine the way they are,it just happens that the nfc sucks this year.in the 80's and early 90's the nfc was superior and the afc was the joke.this will always flip flop back and forth.what would you want..............2 afc teams fighting for the superbowl?no in every sport you have your different  opposing conferences as it should be.well this is tough love we could go 10-6 and not make playoffs,but that happened to miami recently also.we just have to be that much better/hungrier next season is all! go bills

168149[/snapback]

That is my point I wouldn't have a problem of an all NFC or AFC Superbowl. I would think the NFL would want their best products on the field come playoff time. It would all balance out in the end some years you would have more AFC teams and some years you would have more NFC teams. At least the better teams would be on the field instead of sitting at home.

That is my point I wouldn't have a problem of an all NFC or AFC Superbowl. I would think the NFL would want their best products on the field come playoff time. It would all balance out in the end some years you would have more AFC teams and some years you would have more NFC teams. At least the better teams would be on the field instead of sitting at home.

168155[/snapback]

yes but if you stacked the deck with more afc or in some years nfc teams the law of probability is that one year all the nfc teams or afc teams could be eliminated.in our superbowl years the nfc east was the dominate conference,hell the giants won 2 so did washington so did dallas,besides the niners in the west no division ever swept like that before and guarranteed if you added extra afc teams this year there could be the possibility of the eagles not even making it to the superbowl. the patsies,steelers,chargers and the jets would destroy the iggies if that playoff system was in place.

168136[/snapback]

The other side of the story is that if you are a fan of a team like Pitt, NE or Philly it's almost unfair that ANY of these other teams will have the opportunity to upset you after they battled so brilliantly for 16 weeks and a team like the Bills tanked an entire month of the season.

The current playoff system is VERY inclusive. If the Bills make it at 10-6, we should consider ourselves lucky that we may have the opportunity to compete in a one game playoff format with a team that finished 4-5 games ahead of our team in a 16 game season. Worrying about a few duds making the NFC dance is like worrying about a few small conference champion hoops teams making the NCAA tournament while the 35th best major conference team has to stay home.

the playoffs are just fine the way they are,it just happens that the nfc sucks this year.in the 80's and early 90's the nfc was superior and the afc was the joke.this will always flip flop back and forth.what would you want..............2 afc teams fighting for the superbowl?no in every sport you have your different  opposing conferences as it should be.well this is tough love we could go 10-6 and not make playoffs,but that happened to miami recently also.we just have to be that much better/hungrier next season is all! go bills

168149[/snapback]

Here's my variation. A team must win 9 games to make playoffs. If a conference cannot meet that requirement for eight teams, the other conference gets to expand the widecards at the ohter conference's expense. For example, the AFC would get at least 1 extra team in the playoffs this season. It would mean one less bye team, but it would be fair and therefore never happen.