Okay, I Think We've Hit Rock Bottom as a Society

ajzepp

There should be a rule about letting those PPP guys post up here. Oh wait. :censored:

I think people who interject political comments into threads should have their tax rate increased to pay for an entitlement program for same-sex-married death row inmates to have access to free abortions.

I read those articles and I again think about how tired I am of society. I'm burnt out.

People are ****ty. They always have been, they always will be. It is no better or worse than it was in the past. And no better/worse than it will be in the future.

The only difference is that we are in the "information age" where we get absolutely pummeled with crap like this on an hourly basis. And it's only because the worst stuff is what sells. There are plenty of uplifting stories and events happening, but we dont hear about those.

If you're burnt out, tune out for a bit. Get off the grid, take a walk, find some people in your neighborhood to talk with. In other words "take it old school".

It would be great if this fad of a 24-hour news cycle would drop out of style, but they have a number of people scared and addicted to their BS. I long for the day when CNN/MSNBC/FoxNews have to run infomercials at night.

I read those articles and I again think about how tired I am of society. I'm burnt out.

I totally hear ya, brother. I like to consider myself pretty well adjusted as an adult member of society, but sometimes I find myself remembering what it was like to be a kid back in the 70s and 80s. I agree with what Dr said about how this stuff has always happened, we're just more aware of it now...but honestly, it's amazing to think about the contrast between the safety and security of childhood (even if we considered this a bad thing at the time), and the fact that as adults we're basically on our own exposed to all the evils of the world. Very few filters, no pauses or breaks from the barrage of negativity, the feeling of being powerless to protect OTHERS from it, etc. You can really mind-fug yourself thinking about all of this stuff...so when you say you're burnt out, I feel you man.

I totally hear ya, brother. I like to consider myself pretty well adjusted as an adult member of society, but sometimes I find myself remembering what it was like to be a kid back in the 70s and 80s. I agree with what Dr said about how this stuff has always happened, we're just more aware of it now...but honestly, it's amazing to think about the contrast between the safety and security of childhood (even if we considered this a bad thing at the time), and the fact that as adults we're basically on our own exposed to all the evils of the world. Very few filters, no pauses or breaks from the barrage of negativity, the feeling of being powerless to protect OTHERS from it, etc. You can really mind-fug yourself thinking about all of this stuff...so when you say you're burnt out, I feel you man.

It's true. A lot of bad stuff happens out there, but a lot of good stuff too. If the media were inclined to report on positive items, it would outweigh the negative 10 to 1 or more.

I think the best thing we can do is to make sure to be part of the solution. Leave our mark on the world by being as decent as possible. It won't fix all the bad stuff, but a collective effort of good can have an enormous impact.

An example of a truly good man making a difference...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7362328n

I totally hear ya, brother. I like to consider myself pretty well adjusted as an adult member of society, but sometimes I find myself remembering what it was like to be a kid back in the 70s and 80s. I agree with what Dr said about how this stuff has always happened, we're just more aware of it now...but honestly, it's amazing to think about the contrast between the safety and security of childhood (even if we considered this a bad thing at the time), and the fact that

as adults we're basically on our own exposed to all the evils of the world. Very few filters, no pauses or breaks from the barrage of negativity,

the feeling of being powerless to protect OTHERS from it, etc. You can really mind-fug yourself thinking about all of this stuff...so when you say you're burnt out, I feel you man.

Make your own pauses and breaks; see the good for yourself and don't wait for others to show you. It is there.

Sad story. Have been reading a lot about this locally and it's becoming clear that this man was complaining about hearing voices, had a drug problem. And friends telling him the kid should be moms responsibility not his.... Bad trio of things that was bound to end poorly.

Mental health issues + drugs + antaganizing = recipe for disaster

I'd enjoy a day where all news sources only reported "good" news. I don't care if it's all amazing pet stories, litter cleanups, bake sales, habitat for humanity projects or kids stirring the lemonade with their arms or women jumping up and down on trampolines...it'd be refreshing.

What really did it for me, where I started really feeling it, was the almost inescapable 24/7 news tickers, stations, etc post September 2001. I detach from the grid often, and I try not to over do it on news consumption. The stories about adults that prey on the helpless, especially kids, like the one above, really sticks with me as a person.