Hey JW, a 'Mats cover by Deer Tick

The Poojer

it was funny....on my way home today...they played the 'mats original version of waitress in the sky...so i got to hear it 2 days in a row...musical heaven....i did know that about Middle Brother covering Portland...Deer Tick is very heavily influenced by the Replacements....not a bad thing at all

Middle brother covers Portland, by the mats, on their album. Deer Tick is also going to be covering Bastards of Young on tour this fall. It really fuels my housemate's dueling Deer Tick and replacements obsessions

it was funny....on my way home today...they played the 'mats original version of waitress in the sky...so i got to hear it 2 days in a row...musical heaven....i did know that about Middle Brother covering Portland...Deer Tick is very heavily influenced by the Replacements....not a bad thing at all

Poojer, have you picked up the John Prine tribute album? Deertick does one of my more favorite later Prine songe, "Unwed Fathers". Good stuff...

btw- picked up tickets to see Dawes on the 24th...

didn't know there was a john prine tribute cd...will have to grab it this evening...

Poojer, have you picked up the John Prine tribute album? Deertick does one of my more favorite later Prine songe, "Unwed Fathers". Good stuff...

btw- picked up tickets to see Dawes on the 24th...

didn't know there was a john prine tribute cd...will have to grab it this evening...

Yeah, I think you would dig it...it's called "Broken Hearts and Dirty Windows"...has Deertick (w/Liz Isenberg), Drive-By Truckers, Avett Brothers, Lambchop, My Morning Jacket, Old Crow Medicine Show and my current favorites Those Darlins...a bunch of others too...good tribute album...no Sheryl Crow, which is always a good start! :lol:

btw- just got home from my part-time gig at the record store...there is so much going on there all the time..didn't even realize, til today, Dawes are playing in our store on August 24th. I had never really listened to their stuff, until I picked up the Middle Brother cd, and really dug some of his stuff...they also back up Robbie Robertson on his new record...normally RR puts me to sleep, as a solo artist, but it might be worth checking out.

I am going to NYC the weekend of Oct 14th...gonna see Those Darlins that Friday night, in Brooklyn, and out to the Meadowlands on Sunday, to see the Bills/Giants game...and getting to see my best friend on top of it all...really looking forward to it!

PS: the original "Waitress In the Sky"...Johnny Rivers '66!

Edited by Buftex

Waitress in the Sky - i know this is probably close to blasphemy for you, but I really like Deer Tick(and Dawes, and Delta Spirit, and as a result, Middle Brother). Hope you like it.

haven't heard of this one, but i'm aware of the Middle Brother "Portland" as noted by the very respected music poster Astrojanitor. is there anything he doesn't know.

and, no offended at all. very much appreciated, in fact.

keeping this 'mats kindling burning is continued proof that they continue to resonate today. the hep cats, of course, know this, snap and snap.

by the way, anyone listening to this Raphael Saadiq guy. geez, he can rock.

jw

Yeah, I think you would dig it...it's called "Broken Hearts and Dirty Windows"...has Deertick (w/Liz Isenberg), Drive-By Truckers, Avett Brothers, Lambchop, My Morning Jacket, Old Crow Medicine Show and my current favorites Those Darlins...a bunch of others too...good tribute album...no Sheryl Crow, which is always a good start! :lol:

btw- just got home from my part-time gig at the record store...there is so much going on there all the time..didn't even realize, til today, Dawes are playing in our store on August 24th. I had never really listened to their stuff, until I picked up the Middle Brother cd, and really dug some of his stuff...they also back up Robbie Robertson on his new record...normally RR puts me to sleep, as a solo artist, but it might be worth checking out.

I am going to NYC the weekend of Oct 14th...gonna see Those Darlins that Friday night, in Brooklyn, and out to the Meadowlands on Sunday, to see the Bills/Giants game...and getting to see my best friend on top of it all...really looking forward to it!

youtube.com/watch?v=F5R-_ZUf0wY

by the way ... just saw from an e-mail this morning that Those Darlins will be touring with the Drive-By Truckers. this is a good thing.

jw

youtube.com/watch?v=F5R-_ZUf0wY

Johnny Rivers has this great psych record called "Realization." Been in heavy rotation at my house since I found it in an antique mall in Oklahoma 3 years ago. His version of positively fourth street is my favorite Dylan cover period

Johnny Rivers has this great psych record called "Realization." Been in heavy rotation at my house since I found it in an antique mall in Oklahoma 3 years ago. His version of positively fourth street is my favorite Dylan cover period

I am a big Johnny Rivers fan...I know he is not, perhaps, the most original artist out there, but he just made damn great sounding records...big fan of good, vintage pop...he does it. Agreed on "Positively 4th Street" cover. :thumbsup:

haven't heard of this one, but i'm aware of the Middle Brother "Portland" as noted by the very respected music poster Astrojanitor. is there anything he doesn't know.

and, no offended at all. very much appreciated, in fact.

keeping this 'mats kindling burning is continued proof that they continue to resonate today. the hep cats, of course, know this, snap and snap.

by the way, anyone listening to this Raphael Saadiq guy. geez, he can rock.

jw

by the way ... just saw from an e-mail this morning that Those Darlins will be touring with the Drive-By Truckers. this is a good thing.

jw

Wow...that would be a terrific line-up, for me. I don't know how familiar you are with the Darlins, but I could see some Drive-By fans not digging them...but they are really fun to see live, and their records are just infectious grooves...always a sucker for cute chicks with guitars...their first album was a little more coutrified pop,but the new one is more of a Spectre-ish contemporary ramshackle rock-n-roll record... love this song:

Almost posted this in your "favorite nut busting songs" thread...but then I realized we weren't thinking along the same lines. :P

Edited by Buftex