Poor rich people

Are you implying I am creating a strawman?

I certainly am. Blanket statements often create straw men, whether you like it or not.

It sure is easy to rail against unfair taxes while the "other side" is saying that the middle class pay nothing in taxes when it just isn't so.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly am. Blanket statements often create straw men, whether you like it or not.

It sure is easy to rail against unfair taxes while the "other side" is saying that the middle class pay nothing in taxes when it just isn't so.

But they are not paying higher taxes. Show me where they are and then yes, it is a strawman. Fail to do so and it is a legitimate argument. It is a common statement on here that 50% of the country pay no taxes, when the fact is that is just not so. Why didn't you call them out on that complete fallacy?

Really? How so? Do you dispute my point that middle class and lower income pay more taxes than the rich? No one else is really. Simple matter is they cannot. Do you deny that Republicans use the no federal taxes as a talking point?

Your failure to distinguish between different forms of taxation both in economic and political terms is a gaping hole in your argument. Republicans often use Federal Income tax disparities as a talking point, but thus far you have not specified this, hence your strawman.

But they are not paying higher taxes. Show me where they are and then yes, it is a strawman. Fail to do so and it is a legitimate argument. It is a common statement on here that 50% of the country pay no taxes, when the fact is that is just not so. Why didn't you call them out on that complete fallacy?

So when arguing that 50+% of the country pays no taxes it's bad?

But when arguing that some fat cat corporation paid 0 in taxes it's good?

Your failure to distinguish between different forms of taxation both in economic and political terms is a gaping hole in your argument. Republicans often use Federal Income tax disparities as a talking point, but thus far you have not specified this, hence your strawman.

What? I have been saying this for years. Total taxation is my point and it is not a strawman if you cannot comprehend that. In any case, please try and argue against my point, not what you perceive it as.

So when arguing that 50+% of the country pays no taxes it's bad?

But when arguing that some fat cat corporation paid 0 in taxes it's good?

You are an idiot®.

He smoked so much of his strawman that he still doesn't realize his initial post was actually about federal taxes and he is whining about other people even mentioning federal taxes. Imagine if they start taxing pot.

Only losers smoke pot + most losers are poor = only poor people pay pot tax = taxes are unfair to poor people.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

But they are not paying higher taxes. Show me where they are and then yes, it is a strawman. Fail to do so and it is a legitimate argument.

Who said anything about higher or lower taxes? You said, "nothing." Not all conservatives think that the middle class pays nothing in taxes. In fact, I'd say that most of them probably don't. Implying that all conservatives do think this way and following it up by railing against that statement is, indeed, setting up a straw man.

There's room for a legitimate argument to be made here. Don't waste your time on silly things like "according to conservatives, they pay nothing."

It is a common statement on here that 50% of the country pay no taxes, when the fact is that is just not so.

So an obscure political forum, that approximately 20 people frequent (that's generous), on a board dedicated largely to discussion of the Buffalo Bills is representative of all conservatives? Interesting.

Why didn't you call them out on that complete fallacy?

Because that's ignorance, not a fallacy. I don't care nearly enough to illuminate ignorance in someone's life. That's why I think DC Tom is such a nice guy. He cares so much.

What? I have been saying this for years. Total taxation is my point and it is not a strawman if you cannot comprehend that. In any case, please try and argue against my point, not what you perceive it as.

You are an idiot®.

Yeah, you seem to be doing a great job with this discussion so far. :rolleyes:

Rob's right. This is a very Conneresque attempt at discussion.

He smoked so much of his strawman that he still doesn't realize his initial post was actually about federal taxes and he is whining about other people even mentioning federal taxes. Imagine if they start taxing pot.

Only losers smoke pot = most losers are poor = only poor people pay pot tax = taxes are unfair to poor people.

Yeah and yet you cannot dispute my point oh one who eats crayonz. Must suck to be out argued by a stoner. Would it sting more if I said I was from Canada?

Yeah, you seem to be doing a great job with this discussion so far. :rolleyes:

Rob's right. This is a very Conneresque attempt at discussion.

Dispute the point. You cannot. Republicans routinely say that 50% pay no taxes. Only they are lying. You are a total stooge so you probably believed that prior to today.

Really? How so? Do you dispute my point that middle class and lower income pay more taxes than the rich? No one else is really. Simple matter is they cannot. Do you deny that Republicans use the no federal taxes as a talking point?

One time you say "poor people", the next time it's middle class and lower income. One time it's federal taxes, the next time it's all taxes. Nice moving target there.

Yeah and yet you cannot dispute my point oh one who eats crayonz. Must suck to be out argued by a stoner. Would it sting more if I said I was from Canada?

Dispute the point. You cannot. Republicans routinely say that 50% pay no taxes. Only they are lying. You are a total stooge so you probably believed that prior to today.

You're really good at the Strawman thing that Levi was talking about.

Bravo.

Like dude like your original point in the thread was like totally based on a statement about like federal taxes dude. Why should I dispute your point when you like killed it in the opening entry to the like thread? Am I am losing the argument?

I am not even arguing. At least you have a .500 record arguing with yourself in this thread. It doesn't really matter which side won.

stick to your guns. you're right. there's honor in having a social conscience.

stick to your guns. you're right. there's honor in having a social conscience.

He's stoned. It makes it difficult to stick to a point. If you think he is sticking to a point you must be absolutely baked.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

You're really good at the Strawman thing that Levi was talking about.

Bravo.

So Republicans never say that? And I have always been about total taxation and if you are unable to focus on that, then well, not sure what to say. But 50% pay no taxes is a fair statement to some of you. When that is clearly not reality, how do you hold these beliefs?

About 47% will pay no federal income taxes for 2009. Either their incomes were too low, or they qualified for enough credits, deductions and exemptions to eliminate their liability. That's according to projections by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington research organization.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/1001289_who_pays.pdf

Edited by Magox

So Republicans never say that? And I have always been about total taxation and if you are unable to focus on that, then well, not sure what to say. But 50% pay no taxes is a fair statement to some of you. When that is clearly not reality, how do you hold these beliefs?

So what was Buffett's total tax burden last year, then?