Poor rich people

So what was Buffett's total tax burden last year, then?

A lot less than mine. I paid about 35%. Just in federal taxes. Not counting any other taxes, just SSI and Federal taxes. Not sure why you would argue with me over this point as it is fairly simple math.

That is income tax brother. You are smarter than that.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot less than mine. I paid about 35%. Just in federal taxes. Not counting any other taxes, just SSI and Federal taxes. Not sure why you would argue with me over this point as it is fairly simple math.

Because you're extrapolating. You're using one number to B word about another number...but you don't actually know, do you? I'm sure, for example, that Buffett owns much more property than you do (with correspondingly higher property tax), and travels far more (correspondingly higher taxes), and pays for far more personal services (even more taxes).

On the other hand, his SSI caps out ridiculously low for his income.

But the point being, you're comparing two different numbers at a guess that they might be correllated strongly. But you don't actually know. So the only real question up for argument is: would you like me to call you an idiot or a !@#$ing moron for it?

That is income tax brother. You are smarter than that.

Weren't we speaking about federal income taxes?

Show your work for full credit.

What? That is fairly common. I have no need to show it. Plenty of people pay more.

Weren't we speaking about federal income taxes?

I used Warrens Buffet's federal tax to show that the rich pay way less in total taxation.

What? That is fairly common. I have no need to show it. Plenty of people pay more.

I used Warrens Buffet's federal tax to show that the rich pay way less in total taxation.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought you were making the claim that some suggested that 50% of the US public don't pay federal income taxes.

Because you're extrapolating. You're using one number to B word about another number...but you don't actually know, do you? I'm sure, for example, that Buffett owns much more property than you do (with correspondingly higher property tax), and travels far more (correspondingly higher taxes), and pays for far more personal services (even more taxes).

On the other hand, his SSI caps out ridiculously low for his income.

But the point being, you're comparing two different numbers at a guess that they might be correllated strongly. But you don't actually know. So the only real question up for argument is: would you like me to call you an idiot or a !@#$ing moron for it?

Can anyone show me numbers proving otherwise? No one seems to be able to do so. I know that I am a middle income earner and paying around 35% in just federal taxes. I know that I pay sales tax, gas tax, so it is easily 40% of my gross income. More in all likelihood. Where is the rich guy paying that percentage? There are rich guys paying 25% total maybe? And there are low income families paying near that. That is my point, produce a link proving me wrong.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought you were making the claim that some suggested that 50% of the US public don't pay federal income taxes.

They don't say pay no federal income tax, they say pay no taxes.

Can anyone show me numbers proving otherwise? No one seems to be able to do so. I know that I am a middle income earner and paying around 35% in just federal taxes. I know that I pay sales tax, gas tax, so it is easily 40% of my gross income. More in all likelihood. Where is the rich guy paying that percentage? There are rich guys paying 25% total maybe? And there are low income families paying near that. That is my point, produce a link proving me wrong.

They don't say pay no federal income tax, they say pay no taxes.

But that's not what the subject matter of the topic. Buffett is talking about federal income taxes.

But that's not what the subject matter of the topic. Buffett is talking about federal income taxes.

But it is indicative of the overall taxation. I bet when you add in all other taxation he barely breaks 30%. Probably far less and yet that is still far lower than my taxes and I am not a high earner by any stretch of the imagination.

But it is indicative of the overall taxation. I bet when you add in all other taxation he barely breaks 30%. Probably far less and yet that is still far lower than my taxes and I am not a high earner by any stretch of the imagination.

It is no more indicative of overall taxation than knowing the number of miles he traveled in a car and saying he must not travel a lot in a plane.

When trying to do the math here ask yourself "WWFLPD?" .

Still doesn't take away the fact that a large portion of the population don't pay federal income taxes after you consider all deductions. I'm sorry Booster, but it's hard to make this case considering these facts.