I like Brad Smith A LOT!

Smith doesn't look to be the best passer, but definitely better than RBs who try to throw the ball out of the wild cat. I'm very happy with him in the short look I got at him. I hope he can get his passing game going so that we can keep opposing defenses honest.

In trying to decode Gailey's statements about Smith, I THINK what he's going to do is have him on the field as a "regular" player often. That is, he'll be a running back, and he'll be a receiver. But because of who Brad Smith is and what he can do, defenses will constantly be uncertain if he's in as a RB, a WR, a QB or in for the wildcat (the Wild Bill?). And when you can make the defense uncertain, you've just gained an edge. In a league where teams are so close, this could be huge. And as a fan, it's going to make this a lot more fun to watch than anything from the Jauronica era.

In trying to decode Gailey's statements about Smith, I THINK what he's going to do is have him on the field as a "regular" player often. That is, he'll be a running back, and he'll be a receiver. But because of who Brad Smith is and what he can do, defenses will constantly be uncertain if he's in as a RB, a WR, a QB or in for the wildcat (the Wild Bill?). And when you can make the defense uncertain, you've just gained an edge. In a league where teams are so close, this could be huge. And as a fan, it's going to make this a lot more fun to watch than anything from the Jauronica era.

That's what I've been saying all along and exactly how Gailey should be using Smith. It's not like he's a wasted player if he's on the field, so why not use him on most downs?

That's what I've been saying all along and exactly how Gailey should be using Smith. It's not like he's a wasted player if he's on the field, so why not use him on most downs?

I think it will be key to make sure he's on the field often enough so that the defense doesn't autmatically know it's a gimmick play if he's in the game. It's kind of like how teams knew we were probably running with Spiller in the backfield because he was such a poor pass protector.

But anyway, just imagine the potential confusion on plays where Brad Smith lines up out wide, followed by the offense shifting formations and bringing Smith back to QB. Things like that would keep defenses on their toes, and would be exciting to watch.