50 years ago today, the Berlin Wall goes up

Just Jack

wow...i feel stupid...i thought the berlin wall went up much earlier than that....for some reason i thought it was a result/by-product of ww2...guess i got my learning in for the day...

Went up under Kennedy's nose and - though it came down on Bush 41's watch - met it's demise (as did the rest of the Soviet Union) in one Ronald Reagan.

Interesting opinion column by George Will this morning - JFK’s blundering on Berlin

Went up under Kennedy's nose and - though it came down on Bush 41's watch - met it's demise (as did the rest of the Soviet Union) in one Ronald Reagan.

Interesting opinion column by George Will this morning - JFK’s blundering on Berlin

Will's conclusion is silly and myopic:

Tens of millions of East Europeans might have been spared those years of tyranny, and the West might have been spared considerable dangers and costs, if Kennedy had not been complicit in preventing the unraveling of East Germany.

Sure, if "ifs" and "buts"...but, Will is simply playing a game of what if while leaving out the incredible complexity of the situation there. 1961 was not 1989. It is true that Kennedy and many other Americans were relieved the wall went up and a crisis that might have led to (nuclear) war was averted. That's a bad thing?

A very interesting documentary was on PBS days leading up to the anniversary (a couple of weeks ago). The Germans literally put up the first version of the wall/fence overnight.

George Will can second guess all he wants as he is known to do but the situation back then was very confusing and desperate with few options.

I may be visiting Berlin for the Sabres and Kings game.

Here is a link to more info about the documentary:

http://www.pbs.org/programs/the-wall/