Has AMC Gone Full Retard?

ajzepp

My $0.02: AMC went public last month. Speaking from my own limit experience, having to answer quarterly to shareholders can change the culture of any business. That can be VERY bad when it comes to creative folks, who (IMHO) are best left to their own devices.

Wow, there are many more variables at play here than I realized...

My $0.02: AMC went public last month. Speaking from my own limit experience, having to answer quarterly to shareholders can change the culture of any business. That can be VERY bad when it comes to creative folks, who (IMHO) are best left to their own devices.

Amen.

There are of course plenty of brilliant filmmakers operating outside of the studio system. And there are visionaries who refuse to compromise and still manage to get the MBA's to give them what they need without having to compromise their creative integrity. But those are all, sadly, very rare in this town.

Amen.

There are of course plenty of brilliant filmmakers operating outside of the studio system. And there are visionaries who refuse to compromise and still manage to get the MBA's to give them what they need without having to compromise their creative integrity. But those are all, sadly, very rare in this town.

One of those rare examples is Louis CK and his show "Louie". He shoots on a small budget and takes the union minimum for himself. Of course, he does the show to promote himself as a brand so that he can sell-out theaters on the road. Matt Weiner & Vince Gilligan don't have a road-show to promote - this is it for them and they need to get paid.

The good news is that Breaking Bad was renewed for 16 more episodes.

Leave it to bottom line people to ruin something good....

This seems to lend support to your opinion:

http://io9.com/5830082/amcs-crazy-ideas-for-cutting-costs-on-the-walking-dead

I keep meaning to watch Walking Dead.. is it any good?

I liked it a lot and would recommend it. As someone else stated, it's not so much about running around mass killing zombies. It's more about the interactions between families, friends, and strangers while trying to stay alive and away from the zombies. But of course, there's some sick zombie kills involved as well. :thumbsup:

Amen.

What do you do, TGreg?

This, I believe, was Gilligan's plan all along. Five seasons. After watching so many other shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, Friends, CSI, etc...) stay past their welcome and go far past ripe, it's refreshing to see this sort of thing.

Leave it to bottom line people to ruin something good....

This seems to lend support to your opinion:

http://io9.com/5830082/amcs-crazy-ideas-for-cutting-costs-on-the-walking-dead

That article makes my blood boil. Thank you Frank Darabont for trying to fight the good fight against these idiots. They have a money maker on their hands and they are determined to ruin it. Maybe they should take a look at Heroes for an example of how a show can go really wrong after a fantastic start.

... Matt Weiner & Vince Gilligan don't have a road-show to promote - this is it for them and they need to get paid.

This is of course true to an extent. As the creative authors of their worlds, I wholeheartedly agree they deserve to get paid for their efforts. And I know it's easy for me to say this from my cheap seats but there comes a point where you can choose between your art and your bank account. That's sadly not always the case in this business as a writer. Getting stuff made is hard. And getting NEW stuff made is impossible. And when you're starting out you sometimes have to make compromises with your material just to get it out there because if you don't, you will be unemployed for quite a while.

But someone who creates and runs a hit show? That should never be the case.

Face it, as the creator of a hit television show, you are well compensated. Even on basic cable. And there comes a point where, if you're not a total idiot with your money, that extra three million you're holding out for isn't going to affect any aspect of your lifestyle. Especially if you keep making quality shows that people want to watch. And if I were in that position and had to choose between more money for myself at the expense of the world I created -- I'd hope like hell I'd side with my show. After all, that's your job as the creator. To protect your vision and create something compelling. As a fan, that's what I expect and I hope I'd hold myself to that standard.

If that's how it all really went down, and I'm not saying it was. But if it did ... then Frank should be applauded.

What do you do, TGreg?

I'm a walking cliche. :nana: