Should 'therapy' dogs be allowed in courtrooms?

Beerball

link

Can the dogs unfairly sway jurors? Don't sympathetic witnesses do the same thing?

I think the argument is more that such a dog can unfairly make a witness seem more sympathetic, which is certainly a valid point.

Simple solution to me seems to be to keep the dogs off the witness stand. The idea that testifying should be a pain-free, pleasant experience is well-meaning, but ridiculous.

I think the argument is more that such a dog can unfairly make a witness seem more sympathetic, which is certainly a valid point.

Simple solution to me seems to be to keep the dogs off the witness stand. The idea that testifying should be a pain-free, pleasant experience is well-meaning, but ridiculous.

Defense lawyers argue that the dogs may unfairly sway jurors with their cuteness and the natural empathy they attract, whether a witness is telling the truth or not

You can't allow dogs in court. Too influential. I know my dog, Billie, can control people's thoughts just by looking at them. I mean just look into her eyes--it's mesmerizing.

Anyway, like I was saying, these dogs definitely should be allowed in the courtroom. Also, there should be lots and lots of treats available for them. And I mean the good ones, like those gourmet chicken jerky strips.

Edited by gringo starr

Is all of America in need of therapy?

Yes, and 'therapy dogs' should certainly be covered by Medicare.

But I don't see what the fuss is about by having the dog in the courtroom. Just a sick pervert grasping at straws to avoid facing justice. Hopefully he'll meet an exceptionally unpleasant end in prison.

Edited by KD in CT

Yes, all of America is in need of therapy.

But what should be banned isnt the therapists, its the pills when prescribed as shortcuts around the actual therapy.

Fixed that because, let's be honest here, it's not always the case that they're simply being used as "shortcuts."

Edited by LeviF91

Fixed that because, let's be honest here, it's not always the case that they're simply being used as "shortcuts."

Agreed ... However Americans and the medical system seem to be far too prone to believe that pills are the answer. Doctors are unwilling to tell people live with less stress, eat better, exercise and take care of yourself. Instead it is a 10 minute consult ending with a prescription.

Agreed ... However Americans and the medical system seem to be far too prone to believe that pills are the answer. Doctors are unwilling to tell people live with less stress, eat better, exercise and take care of yourself. Instead it is a 10 minute consult ending with a prescription.

Yep. Doesn't just go for mental health meds, either. That doctors just hand out prescriptions for things like high blood pressure and high cholesterol just shows laziness on the part of doctor and patient.

Not my doctor. He'll tell you that and send you home with articles about healthy living.