It's official

ATBNG

Indeed, a 7-9 team could easily qualify, but the Rams loss makes it fact.

Right now one of those 6-8 teams is the six seed (Carolina?). I don't feel like figuring it out. This is almost on the level of basketball in terms of one conference being that much worse than the other.

I'm not sure,  but even some of the 5-9 NFC teams may still be alive at this point.  Heck,  it may even be mathematically possible for a 6-10 team to make the playoffs.  That's pathetic.

167667[/snapback]

That comment intrigued me. The answer is no - NO is at Carolina in week 17, so the sixth seed in the NFC will be at least 6-9-1.

Assuming five teams are in (Sea, Phi, Atl, Min, GB) and one is out (SF), the other ten all would appear to be alive for spot 6 since Carolina and NO could tie in that last game.

Relevant teams and my spread projections:

St. Louis 6-8 (underdogs in final two vs. Philly, vs. NY Jets)

Carolina 6-8 (underdogs at Tampa, favored vs. NO)

New Orleans 6-8 (pick 'em vs Atlanta, underdog at Car)

Arizona: 5-9 (underdogs at Seattle, and ever so slight dog vs. Tampa Bay)

Tampa Bay 5-9: (favored vs. Carolina, slight favorite at Arizona)

Washington 5-9: (underdog at Dallas, pick 'em vs. Minnesota)

NY Giants 5-9: (underdog at Cincy, favored vs. Dallas)

Dallas 5-9: (favored vs. Washington, underdog at NYG)

Detroit 5-9: (favored vs. chicago, dog at Tennessee)

Chicago 5-9: (dog at DET, dog vs. GB)

I mean....who knows??? :doh: Let's look at the 6-8 "cream of the crop."

St. Louis has the advantage that they get two home games versus teams that may have nothing to play for (as you all know, that would entail the Jets beating NE, but that's not outlandish). However, they're atrocious and probably still will lose to the Philly and NYJ backups.

Carolina could beat Tampa down there, but I like Tampa - home division revenge game at a short price.

New Orleans is interesting. They keep winning random road games. Can they beat a disinterested Atlanta (clinched two seed and can't move) and Carolina? Carolina beat them in NO, so I doubt it.

I think there is an 80-90% chance you will see a 7-9 team in the playoffs for the first time.