Stadium question

Who thought of the idea to put a 75,000 (once was 80,000) seat stadium into Buffalo, NY?

Seems like alot for a small market team in a small population city compared to smaller stadiums in gigantic cities.

Nonetheless we still sell it out most of the time... Just curious of why such a large seating capacity?

Edited by Frostbelt City

Who thought of the idea to put a 75,000 (once was 80,000) seat stadium into Buffalo, NY?

Seems like alot for a small market team in a small population city compared to smaller stadiums in gigantic cities.

Nonetheless we still sell it out most of the time... Just curious of why such a large seating capacity?

Seems like you answered your own question.

Back in the 1970's the population within the City was still over 450,000 putting Buffalo as the 28th largest city in America. The metro population of Buffalo is still over 1.1 million today and that is not taking into account S. Ontario and Rochester

Picture if the stadium was... maybe... 65,000...

I know it would be smaller but supply/demand would be higher

Supply would be lower, which makes the existing seats more valuable, I guess. But that assumes people have the $ to spend on more expensive seats. Also, don't forget to factor in the fact that on average the Stadium probably makes about 20$ per seat in beer / food / merchandise sales.

Beaver Stadium is in a smaller area, and holds 110,000. And it's usually full.

It was Ralph Wilson's decision.

Back in the 1970's the population within the City was still over 450,000 putting Buffalo as the 28th largest city in America. The metro population of Buffalo is still over 1.1 million today and that is not taking into account S. Ontario and Rochester

We get hung up on the population of the City of Buffalo but you are so right WNY's total population is over 1 million.

I for one am thrilled we have a stadium with more seating because it allows non-season ticket holders, like many of us who live out of town, with an opportunity to see a game or two at a reasonable price. Plus, we sell it out ... Miami, Jacksonville, and other bigger cities can't sell out even smaller stadiums ...

GO BILLS

Picture if the stadium was... maybe... 65,000...

I know it would be smaller but supply/demand would be higher

A smaller stadium has been a hindrance for the Vikings. They want a 75,000 seat stadium, as the Metrodome is too small and not enough parking. Go big, or go home.

Buffalo in total size is relativly small compared to many other NFL cities, ie: see San Diego with a (so I was told) 50 mile city limit. If Buffalo's city limit was 50 miles it wouldn't surprise me if the population was in the 1-2 million range and that's not counting Southern Ontario as you pointed out.

The "talking heads" that sprew nonsense about Buffalo being a small market just show how truely ignorant they are.

There are more than enough people in WNY, Southern Ontario and Rochester and beyond to sell out RWS.......easy!!!! Ten years without making the playoffs and maybe one or two games didn't sell out in time to lift the TV black-out; & those games did sell out !!

The only thing that is missing here is not enough consistant corporate purchases of the suites and to a lesser extent club seats.

Was a big city once, but with the additions of Rochester and Toronto we must be the 3rd largest market now :D