Seal Team Six may be dead

Booster4324

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the guys (maybe as some may rotate in and out) that killed Bin Laden.

AP twitter:

Horrible way to go out for a warrior. Put them on the ground and they take the guys at a 10-1 ratio easily. Eternal :beer: forever and my thanks.

Big loss for America and for their families. Sad . . .

You know this OBL thing really reveals what a chicken s*** yellow piece of cowardly crap he was. Preaching death and sending out suicide killers to destroy in the name of Allah. Why did he not rig the building with explosives he could have detonated if capture was imminent? He single handily could have killed 20 or more of the most hated infidels. Wonder what his followers think of that.

Yeah, I was speaking to how they would have wanted to go out.

The crash itself may not be that ideal death, but at the end of the day, they were killed while coming to the aid of fellow soldiers. If there really was some way they'd want to go out, I'd like to think it would be something along those lines.

Something like seven or eight.

So what? Were they going to get him again?

Not really. President Obama insisted that we have two choppers on standby with troops in case there was a firefight. He knew what the military has apparently forgotten, that things go wrong and you have to have a back up.

Apparently the military forgot the old rule about not bunching up in combat as well. I've seen enough choppers brought down by AK-47's to know that having one monster chopper going into a firefight to offload troops is not the best idea in the world.

I don't mean to go all conspiracy theory after such a tragedy, but...

The Seal Team 6 part seems a little too convenient. If Seal Team 6 is dead, there's no need for America hating Muslims to go looking for revenge on them or their families

First thing I thought of as well...

apparently questions are being raised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14449165

HIGH RISK

The usual American practice in Iraq and Afghanistan is for the QRF to be made up of US Army Rangers (less highly trained than the Tier 1 units) and for them to ride in one or two Chinooks, while the team carrying out the assault normally flies in a pair of Blackhawks.

This way the Tier 1 men ride in two well protected helicopters, and the more vulnerable (and noisy) Chinooks are kept a little further from the target. On Saturday, for some operational reason, this usual practice was reversed and the Seals ended up flying into action as QRF to back up some Rangers carrying out a raid who had got into a heavy fire fight.

British Special Forces commanders have long been dubious about sending an entire squadron into action in a single large helicopter like the Chinook. One SAS man told me that a raid he was on in Baghdad was cancelled because their commander did not want to take the risk of putting dozens of highly trained operators in one such aircraft.

The SAS reluctance results in part from an incident during the 1982 Falklands war when a Sea King helicopter ditched, with the loss of 18 SAS men. In Iraq they switched to medium-sized Puma helicopters, two of which were lost on operations.

Not really. President Obama insisted that we have two choppers on standby with troops in case there was a firefight. He knew what the military has apparently forgotten, that things go wrong and you have to have a back up.

Apparently the military forgot the old rule about not bunching up in combat as well. I've seen enough choppers brought down by AK-47's to know that having one monster chopper going into a firefight to offload troops is not the best idea in the world.

But again...what where the mission requirements?

(Funny thing is: the rest of you claim I think I know everything, when I'm the only one here claiming any sort of ignorance.)

But again...what where the mission requirements?

(Funny thing is: the rest of you claim I think I know everything, when I'm the only one here claiming any sort of ignorance.)

Good point. I just don't understand why the military would not have anticipated that a Chinook going into such a trap was foreseeable. The Afghans have well over twenty years experience in shooting down Russian and American helicopters.Seems crazy to put so many highly trained assets in one oversize target like that.

Good point. I just don't understand why the military would not have anticipated that a Chinook going into such a trap was foreseeable. The Afghans have well over twenty years experience in shooting down Russian and American helicopters.Seems crazy to put so many highly trained assets in one oversize target like that.

Yes, but...

Maybe a couple of the Blackhawks were down with a problem (or simply weren't available for whatever reason), and someone felt it was better to send the entire QRF in than just part. Not exactly practical to say "Sorry, we can't go, two of our helos are grounded."

Maybe the Chinook was one of the combat-rated SF modifications (MH-47E, I think) considered as combat-survivable as a Blackhawk...and replacing them in service for that reason.

Maybe speed/range/altitude needs were outside the Blackhawk's envelope and required the Chinook instead.

Maybe the tactical situation on the ground dictated landing them as a unit (or terrain situation...no landing site big enough for 5 Blackhawks)?

Lots of unknowns to be saying "they shouldn't have". Perhaps as a matter of doctrine or practice they shouldn't (which I agree with), but there are no absolute doctrinal rules. Unless you're fighting for Stalin.

Yes, but...

Maybe speed/range/altitude needs were outside the Blackhawk's envelope and required the Chinook instead.

I actually heard this reasoning today on the radio. Don't remember what I was listening to at the time.

This Time article addresses a number of the concerns.

http://battleland.blogs.time.com/2011/08/09/second-guessing-the-doomed-chinook-mission/

I'm still not impressed with the decision and certainly no one is satisfied with the outcome, but I'd like more on whether the rangers involved were actually "pinned down", and I'd like to hear more about alternatives to sending so many seals on a mission in one big target. We will see in the next few weeks.