How does Fitzpatrick fare when rated on the new QBR system?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6834591/nfl-tom-brady-led-nfl-qbr-2010-season

I dont really know too much about the new rating but it claims to take "everything into account". It seems like any ways you look at it Fitz is a middle of the pack guy. Hopefully he can break out this year and move up on that list for 2011.

Edited by Billsrhody

I dont really know too much about the new rating but it claims to take "everything into account". It seems like any ways you look at it Fitz is a middle of the pack guy. Hopefully he can break out this year and move up on that list for 2011.

Well we see there isn't a Super Bowl winner outside of the top 10 (with the exception of the ancient Favre).

"Total Quarterback Rating" is only as good as the subjective judgments and biases of the persons grading each play. (Example: was that an overthrow, or was it a good throw that the receiver gave up on?) Passer rating, though flawed, is at least objective, transparent, and verifiable. I'll take the devil I know over the devil I don't.

And I'm not enough of a conspiracy theorist to think they'll actually do it, but it sure would be easy for ESPN to fake the results for their home-made stat. Near as I can see, they haven't published any actual formulas or calculations, so we just have to take their word for it on what the ratings are.

"Total Quarterback Rating" is only as good as the subjective judgments and biases of the persons grading each play. (Example: was that an overthrow, or was it a good throw that the receiver gave up on?) Passer rating, though flawed, is at least objective, transparent, and verifiable. I'll take the devil I know over the devil I don't.

And I'm not enough of a conspiracy theorist to think they'll actually do it, but it sure would be easy for ESPN to fake the results for their home-made stat. Near as I can see, they haven't published any actual formulas or calculations, so we just have to take their word for it on what the ratings are.

Stats, ratings, etc...it's all means to quantify the intangibles. I think this ranking is legit. Fitz is a middle-of-the-pack QB. No Brady or Manning, but better than some of the hypes people get all creamy over.

PTR

I have not seen how this is calculated, but i think i heard that a long throw in the air will be graded higher than a throw that goes 5 yards with a high YAC. But i think high YAC are a direct result of QB accuracy, and a great indication of wherther the QB is leading the reciever or making him reach back and getting tackled right away.

Wow I wonder how ESPN types feel about the Bills having the second best QB in the AFC East?

Well if you go by basically any metric Fitz is better than Sanchez or Henne.. He's doing more with less. I think Sanchez is pretty much all hype and hasnt proven anything so far.

Well if you go by basically any metric Fitz is better than Sanchez or Henne.. He's doing more with less. I think Sanchez is pretty much all hype and hasnt proven anything so far.

I bet if Doug Flutie was rated in this system he would score higher than expected.

looks very fair to me....

Stats, ratings, etc...it's all means to quantify the intangibles. I think this ranking is legit. Fitz is a middle-of-the-pack QB. No Brady or Manning, but better than some of the hypes people get all creamy over.

PTR

Truth be told, the list they gave seemed pretty spot on. I'm speaking more in the abstract. Although I'll still take passer rating, with its transparent flaws, over total quarterback rating.

Regarding beardo specifically, I concur. Average to below average, but not the pits. Not a long term solution, but fun to watch in the interim.

I haven't heard how drops are considered? I wonder how much Stevie Johnson's drop against the Steelers hurt Fitz? 30+ yard TD pass in OT to win the game? That one ticks almost all the boxes on what QBR is supposed to achieve...

I haven't heard how drops are considered? I wonder how much Stevie Johnson's drop against the Steelers hurt Fitz? 30+ yard TD pass in OT to win the game? That one ticks almost all the boxes on what QBR is supposed to achieve...

I would assume one play wouldn't do thaaaat much in a full season measure

While in real life all that matters are wins, and there are a lot of QBs that make plays to win games which separates them from other QBs, it seems to me completely unfair to penalize QBs on crappy teams that have trouble winning despite the QB play (like the Bills for instance) or prop up QBs that have great lines or running games or defenses that produce wins. That part of the QBR seems unfair to me. Other parts I like about it.

He will, he is throwing a pretty strong spiral in camp.

While in real life all that matters are wins, and there are a lot of QBs that make plays to win games which separates them from other QBs, it seems to me completely unfair to penalize QBs on crappy teams that have trouble winning despite the QB play (like the Bills for instance) or prop up QBs that have great lines or running games or defenses that produce wins. That part of the QBR seems unfair to me. Other parts I like about it.

Saw that factor too and thought the same thing. With the defense we had last year, no QB would have won many games. I wonder how Fitz rates if you take out that criterion.

Truth be told, the list they gave seemed pretty spot on. I'm speaking more in the abstract. Although I'll still take passer rating, with its transparent flaws, over total quarterback rating.

Regarding beardo specifically, I concur. Average to below average, but not the pits. Not a long term solution, but fun to watch in the interim.

I'm not a huge fan of passer rating myself, and strongly prefer average yards per attempt. I haven't yet formed a strong opinion about total quarterback rating.

That being said, I agree with your assessment of Fitz. He can hold down the fort until the Bills' QB of the future is ready to take the field.

I noticed that the 4th best QB on their list was Aaron Rodgers, with a total QB rating of 67.9. The fourth-worst QB on the list was Alex Smith, with total QB rating of 40.0. Fitz's TQBR of 48.7 puts him a little closer to Alex Smith than to Aaron Rodgers.

Why did I look at the 4th best QB and 4th worst QB on their list, as opposed to the very best and very worst? I did it to eliminate statistical outliers. There was a huge drop-off between their 4th-worst QB (Alex Smith, 40.0) and their worst QB (Jimmy Clausen, 11.7). Clearly Clausen is an outlier. In comparison, the difference between the highest QB on the list (Tom Brady, 76.0) and the fourth-highest (Aaron Rodgers, 69.9) is much, much smaller.