8/4 Practice Notes

Didn't stand out to me anyway. At least nowhere near Dareus and Merriman ... they were beasts.

Caveat: I did spend more time watching the lines and a lot less watching the offense running the short routes against the DBs.

Funny because he had a 40 harder in there

I guarantee that Davis signed for the veteran minimum. There is no way he is any kind of automatic roster spot. He's well behind Roosevelt right now and it will take a lot for him to pass Namaan, even though I don't expect Roosevelt to make the final roster. I think Donald Jones is the one on the bubble (unless Easley cannot get healthy), and because of his ST play and blocking, he's likely to stick. Davis is a long-shot.

Wasn't he the one who left the field 45 minutes early with a couple trainers?

Yesterday? No, that was David Nelson, who had trouble breathing but is fine and expected to practice today.

Ohhh right right right. Thanks.

I also should say that I thought Thigpen looked like crap the times I watched him. Anyone pay attention to the QBs?

Namaan has been killing it at the practices I've been at!

He dropped a few passes the first day of camp. Good to hear he's been looking better.

I was there last night as well. Dareus and Merriman impressed me a LOT. They both were putting out full effort at all times and looked good doing it. I didn't see much from anyone else on a consistent basis, including effort.

Merriman looked to be going half-speed the first day of practice, and several fans noticed it. Looking back, he was working his way up to full speed. And I'm torn on whether he should be going full speed because I don't want him to get hurt again, but it's probably better to find out if he can withstand the rigors now, rather that find out the hard way later.

Yeah, Gailey and Nix love Ubrik but he has done little to impress so far. The weak Steelers O-line was quick to discard him as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else starting there. I don't see any situation (baring injury) that Wood is not our starting center, so Hangartner is a possibility I guess. I think we have a number of options there though, just none that are proven.

Urbik may not yet be at 100%. Hangman might need to start at RG.

With Buster recently signed, Roosevelt is going to have one heck of a time trying to make this team. I doubt it will happen.

Evans, Johnson, Nelson, Parish, Easley, Smith, Davis,

In the mix, guys like Jones, Huggins, Roosevelt, udfa's..

Roosevelt as a rookie did as much as Davis has done. I don't see Davis sticking and I hope he made enough from his rookie contract to be set for awhile.

I guarantee that Davis signed for the veteran minimum. There is no way he is any kind of automatic roster spot. He's well behind Roosevelt right now and it will take a lot for him to pass Namaan, even though I don't expect Roosevelt to make the final roster. I think Donald Jones is the one on the bubble (unless Easley cannot get healthy), and because of his ST play and blocking, he's likely to stick. Davis is a long-shot.

No argument here, I wasn't necessarily suggesting that Davis was a lock to make the team (although that might have been inferred from the way I structured my post), just that Namaan has a lot of competition. Of the "bubble" WR's, I would certainly concur that Jones has the best shot of making the team. I would be pretty shocked if Namaan makes it this year, if injuries knock someone out, well that's a different story.