Rochester hotel questions

GG

Heading to a friend's wedding in Rochester, and the recommended hotel is the Strallahan downtown. My concern is that the reviews on Tripadvisor are mostly negative. What's the real story about the place from anyone who stayed there?

Heading to a friend's wedding in Rochester, and the recommended hotel is the Strallahan downtown. My concern is that the reviews on Tripadvisor are mostly negative. What's the real story about the place from anyone who stayed there?

I haven't stayed there since I live just down the street, and that would just be a damn waste, but I've heard its not too sweet. Where is the wedding and what part of town are you looking to stay in?

I haven't stayed there since I live just down the street, and that would just be a damn waste, but I've heard its not too sweet. Where is the wedding and what part of town are you looking to stay in?

The wedding is apparently not too far away and we have to stay downtown, preferrably to keep driving that weekend to a minimum.

The wedding is apparently not too far away and we have to stay downtown, preferrably to keep driving that weekend to a minimum.

The main knock against the Strath is people come expecting a 5 star hotel and feel let down. You're not going to find rats or roaches, but from what my girlfriends parents said when they stayed there, the interiors are dated and the walls looked dirty. The Hyatt isn't very far away, which should be comfortable, and if you want to spend some bucks check out the Inn on Broadway. There's also 1 or 2 bed and breakfasts on Park Ave, about a mile away from the Strath which are supposed to be nice.

There's also the East Ave Inn, which is a dump but its cheaper. And how could I forget the Cadillac Hotel. I believe its a men's hotel, so you have to bring your hooker in through the back door or something. But nobody will judge you and there are plenty of needles around. Waste not, want not.

Stay at the Delmonte in Pittsford. Downtown is super close, 590 is right down Monroe. And the place is awesome.

Stay at the Delmonte in Pittsford. Downtown is super close, 590 is right down Monroe. And the place is awesome.

Not that close to drive after a wedding reception.

Not that close to drive after a wedding reception.

Depends on how many libations you plan on partaking in and if you can drive. A cab ride to the Del Monte would cost ya, but the drive would be nothing. I'm guessing you'll be drinking so.....

I'd recommend the Hyatt or Radisson if you want to be downtown.(and not because they are all that great, but the best with a lack of options.) I've never been in the Inn on Broadway but it might be worth a shot. Looks nice.

Edited by kegtapr

And how could I forget the Cadillac Hotel. I believe its a men's hotel, so you have to bring your hooker in through the back door or something. But nobody will judge you and there are plenty of needles around. Waste not, want not.

We could always recommend the 490 Motel. Rents by the hour so he could really save some cash.

if you're downtown, best place to stay is the crowne plaza. it was the host site for the PGA Championship a few years back. it's not a "great" hotel, and the service in the restaurant was very, very slow. however, it should work.

another option is the raddisson downtown. i've never stayed there, but from what i saw from the lobby when i was covering some conference, it looked to be ok.

otherwise, i've got a pullout sofa in my hotel you can flop on. :pirate:

jw

Edited by john wawrow

if you're downtown, best place to stay is the crowne plaza. it was the host site for the PGA Championship a few years back. it's not a "great" hotel, and the service in the restaurant was very, very slow. however, it should work.

another option is the raddisson downtown. i've never stayed there, but from what i saw from the lobby when i was covering some conference, it looked to be ok.

otherwise, i've got a pullout sofa in my hotel you can flop on. :pirate:

jw

Just in case GG goes looking for it, it's not longer a Crowne plaza, it's called the Rochester Plaza