Will we see a bunch of 4-3 this year

I'm hearing some very positive things about Troup and Jasper coming out of camp. We know what we have in Williams and Edwards and by all accounts, Dareus is living up to his 3rd pick status. I'm wondering if we'll see a lot more 4-3 this year simply because of the depth and the ability to create absolute pandemonium with the DL. A DL of Dareus, Troupe, Jasper, and Williams is a freaking nightmare. You could then run Merriman, Barnett and Moats behind them.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd be VERY happy with that defensive front. If nothing else, it's a front you don't want to have to face on 3rd down.

I'm hearing some very positive things about Troup and Jasper coming out of camp. We know what we have in Williams and Edwards and by all accounts, Dareus is living up to his 3rd pick status. I'm wondering if we'll see a lot more 4-3 this year simply because of the depth and the ability to create absolute pandemonium with the DL. A DL of Dareus, Troupe, Jasper, and Williams is a freaking nightmare. You could then run Merriman, Barnett and Moats behind them.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd be VERY happy with that defensive front. If nothing else, it's a front you don't want to have to face on 3rd down.

I think we will see a good deal of both. Merriman is much better as a 3-4 rushing LB than a 4-3. We want him going after the QB as much as we can. A lot will depend on Troup. If he can play NT at a high level, and allow Dareus and Williams to play end, I think we play more of a 3-4 as well. Barnett was a very effective 4-3 backer but now that he is 30, I don't think we want him thumping as much, and in the 3-4 he can run to the ball a little easier if Davis or Sheppard can play the thumper role decently in the 3-4. Overall, our backers are better suited to the 3-4, even Kelsay (as far as playing LB goes, he goes to end in a 4-3).

IMO, we would get absolutely murdered in the short passing game with Merriman and Moats as OLB in a 4-3 until Moats gets some experience, and it would be a waste of Merriman's special talents. I'm predicting we play two thirds of the time in a 3-4 and one third in a 4-3 excluding the specialized packages like short yardage and goalline.

One caveat is, on passing downs, we will often see four linemen rushing the passer, with Merriman essentially being a DE. But that won't be a straight 4-3 defense.

Dareus, Williams, and Edwards are not 4-3 defensive ends. Kelsay will have his hand down in the 4-3. Its not a nightmare It takes our best pass rushers (Merriman and Moats) and takes them out of a pass rush situation. Dareus, Williams, troupe, and Jasper are gap filling pocket collapsing D lineman, the question is can any of them play 3-4 defensive end in the NFL.