NFL coaching changes

eball

The Bills are one of only twelve NFL teams to return the same HC, OC, and DC for 2011. The list includes ATL, CHI, DET, GB, IND, JAX, NO, NYG, NYJ, PIT, and WAS. As only seven of these teams made the playoffs, it's somewhat surprising that five playoff teams have either a new OC or DC.

25% of the league (eight teams) have new head coaches -- which means new coordinators as well.

The remaining twelve teams have made changes at one or both of the coordinator positions.

The Bills play three games against entirely new staffs this season (OAK, TEN, DEN) and four games against teams that made no changes (NYJx2, NYG, WAS). Of course, teams like NE* (new OC) and PHI (new DC) have strong HC leadership and are still considered "stable" franchises.

What does all of this mean? Who the hell knows. One plausible suggestion, though, is that the teams making no coaching changes at the top may be in better position (at least initially) since players returning to those teams are not learning an entirely new system. We've all heard coaches say it's very difficult to install new stuff once the season starts.

More than anything, I guess what struck me were the astounding number of overall changes (37/96, or 38.5% of available positions).

The Bills are one of only twelve NFL teams to return the same HC, OC, and DC for 2011. The list includes ATL, CHI, DET, GB, IND, JAX, NO, NYG, NYJ, PIT, and WAS. As only seven of these teams made the playoffs, it's somewhat surprising that five playoff teams have either a new OC or DC.

25% of the league (eight teams) have new head coaches -- which means new coordinators as well.

The remaining twelve teams have made changes at one or both of the coordinator positions.

The Bills play three games against entirely new staffs this season (OAK, TEN, DEN) and four games against teams that made no changes (NYJx2, NYG, WAS). Of course, teams like NE* (new OC) and PHI (new DC) have strong HC leadership and are still considered "stable" franchises.

What does all of this mean? Who the hell knows. One plausible suggestion, though, is that the teams making no coaching changes at the top may be in better position (at least initially) since players returning to those teams are not learning an entirely new system. We've all heard coaches say it's very difficult to install new stuff once the season starts.

More than anything, I guess what struck me were the astounding number of overall changes (37/96, or 38.5% of available positions).

Wasn't the Patriots current OC calling the plays last season but the team didn't want to name him as OC because other teams keep stealing the assistant coaches?

I have to wonder if the Chiefs offense will be as good without OC Charlie Weis, who left the NFL to take a job as OC of the Florida Gators...which makes no sense to me.

Anyway, like Jerry Glanville says, the NFL = Not For Long

Well it isn't exactly a change but we did get a new inside LB coach/assistant HC. :thumbsup:

To bad he wasn't named as the new DC :devil:

.... to go with trashing the 3-4 and just staying with the 4-3.

I so wanna see Darius next to Kyle Williams and the Bills shutting down the run like they used to do with Pat Williams

Good research, eball. Good food for thought, too.

There was a lot of turnover in the league last year and that turnover will be amplified by the absence of minicamps, OTAs, and voluntary "hanging out at the facilities."

The Bills have a young roster so they'll be hurt in that regard but it's encouraging to me that the coaching staff has some stability.

You really thought Chan would tell the world he whiffed on DC too?

What are all of these "other" whiffs pray tell? Aside from going with Trentative for two weeks, I'd like to know what other huge mistakes Gailey made last year, given the situation he stepped into.

And while we're on the topic of George Edwards, it's pretty clear to those of us who watch the games that he adapted as the season progressed, despite working with a pretty talent-poor roster that was further depleted by injury. I think he deserves the benefit of at least a second season before being categorized a colossal failure.

I know that doesn't fit your agenda, but I had to say it.

Don't forget...over 1/3 of the Bills current roster is made up of rookies or 1st year players. I'd say that balances out any potential gains from having a stable coaching staff, especially in light of the fact that no offseason work took place.

Don't forget...over 1/3 of the Bills current roster is made up of rookies or 1st year players. I'd say that balances out any potential gains from having a stable coaching staff, especially in light of the fact that no offseason work took place.

yup. We're a young team in a lot of positions. As someone has already mentioned we added an AHC/ILB coach who may end up replacing the DC.

I'm very pleased with Wanny as part of our coaching staff. Very experienced and quite good. I hope that the staff can find a good overall working system. Coaching staff friction can be worse than player friction. But at the very least we need the most defensive help at ILB and that's where Wanny is so I'm happy.