QB arm strength

It wasn't so much of a "media" thing as it was a Twitter/insider thing.

Just like our rag-tag young receivers have dubbed themselves "The Goon Squad."

The Amish Rifle and his Goon Squad.

sounds like a satirical avante garde western.

I had never used twitter last year and I saw and heard it 100 times. I'm also almost positive that late in the season, Gus Johnson, or the main announcer on the network broadcasts of the Bills games used the phrase during the game and that's about as mainstream as it can get.

Apparently, Drayton Florence first came up with it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/14413994

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I had never used twitter last year and I saw and heard it 100 times. I'm also almost positive that late in the season, Gus Johnson, or the main announcer on the network broadcasts of the Bills games used the phrase during the game and that's about as mainstream as it can get.

Apparently, Drayton Florence first came up with it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/14413994

Fair enough, my viewing is relegated to a bar. While we're a Bills bar, and get the audio, often the commentary is lost.

At the end of the season all that matters is W-L Fitzbeard has emerged as a leader and is well liked by his HC these are likely his best assets. I think he has the talent to get the Bills back to the playoffs. Their ability to go anywhere deep into them will depend on defense.

Lucky you!

You're not missing anything… and you probably know that.

My million dollar idea (note: million a deliberate amount to indicate good/not great): Somehow convincing the NFL (or any other sports league) to license the television feed sans commentary to different broadcast outlets. This would achieve two ends: allowing you to watch a game at home hearing only crowd and ambient game noise (with today's home theater systems this could be sweet), OR allowing you to subscribe to different commentators (at a price) of your choosing.

Say you want guys who will really dissect the nuts and bolts, the X's and O's of the game, you can have that.

May be you watch sports for reasons other than the "sport" and want somebody commenting on the uniforms, how good looking the players are, weaving in celebrity gossip during those boring "action" moments throughout the game.

May be you want to watch with two people who can TEACH you about the game, you have that option too.

Or, may be you want to watch with two comedians who know a lot about sports who can give you not only thorough and thoughtful analysis, but R-rated quips and digs along the way.

How I pray that one day content becomes truly democratized over the Internet, thus giving way for customizable viewing options like these (also: each commentator option would also have its own production crew to vary camera feeds/viewing angles to match commentary).

Ah, if I ruled the world...

My million dollar idea (note: million a deliberate amount to indicate good/not great): Somehow convincing the NFL (or any other sports league) to license the television feed sans commentary to different broadcast outlets. This would achieve two ends: allowing you to watch a game at home hearing only crowd and ambient game noise (with today's home theater systems this could be sweet), OR allowing you to subscribe to different commentators (at a price) of your choosing.

Say you want guys who will really dissect the nuts and bolts, the X's and O's of the game, you can have that.

May be you watch sports for reasons other than the "sport" and want somebody commenting on the uniforms, how good looking the players are, weaving in celebrity gossip during those boring "action" moments throughout the game.

May be you want to watch with two people who can TEACH you about the game, you have that option too.

Or, may be you want to watch with two comedians who know a lot about sports who can give you not only thorough and thoughtful analysis, but R-rated quips and digs along the way.

How I pray that one day content becomes truly democratized over the Internet, thus giving way for customizable viewing options like these (also: each commentator option would also have its own production crew to vary camera feeds/viewing angles to match commentary).

Ah, if I ruled the world...

It would take s lot more than two broadcasters, it would be full teams of production etc... Heck- the non-national games barely have enough cameras for effective replays yet alone a budget for 4 separate production crews.

It would take s lot more than two broadcasters, it would be full teams of production etc... Heck- the non-national games barely have enough cameras for effective replays yet alone a budget for 4 separate production crews.

Yep, I covered that. :thumbsup:

Believe me, I understand how pie-in-the-sky this idea is. I'm aware of what kind of sea change it would require. I just think it would be neat! B-)

At the end of the season all that matters is W-L Fitzbeard has emerged as a leader and is well liked by his HC these are likely his best assets. I think he has the talent to get the Bills back to the playoffs. Their ability to go anywhere deep into them will depend on defense.

You are right in that all that matters is W-L's (maybe not for Ralph), so how did Fitz emerge as a leader? They were 4-12 (4-10 P.E.-Post Edwards), kinda contradictory statement from yourself. It takes alot more than being well liked, otherwise Mike Williams and Erik Flowers would be getting ready for Canton.

Big Cat,

I love the ideas and I don't think they're that far fetched.

To simplify the concept at its onset, all of those concepts could be supported by one common video feed… with priority given to the NFL's "preferred vendor" in other words, one set of broadcasters would be synced up with the production crew as far as replays etc. The others would just have to make do like Andrew Siciliano does on the Red Zone Channel which is part of DirecTVs NFL coverage.

Already NASCAR offers services where viewers can choose among numerous different cameras making each subscriber a virtual producer/director of his/her own race coverage.

You could have a Sabremetric perspective of the game. A lounge lizard perspective. You could have smartass commentary a la Mystery Science Theater 3000. You could, as you suggested (and was done in the early 80s as an experiment) have a feed with crowd noise but no announcers… only informational graphics.

Good stuff, Cat.

Guest three3

anyone else seen fitzy without the pads on after practice / in public? the guy has to be the smallest starting quarterback in the league.

Thought about starting a thread about this as just watching some of his throws online he has had good zip on the ball with nice tight spirals. Thank God he hit the weights this year, now maybe we have our QB of the future and can focus our draft on other positions.

We said last year he needed to "hit the weight room" if he wanted to be "the man", and it looks like he saw that too.

Although....I think there's a reason Fitzy wound up on the bench behind Edwards last year. In shorts, Edwards outshone him and he just didn't look that great.

Perhaps Fitz is the kind of guy who somehow just doesn't "get it going on" until gametime, so it shouldn't be that worrisome if he doesn't shine in shorts.

On the other hand, maybe you're on to something and he needs to do some more throwing to adjust for his increased strength.

Zip is good. Hitting the target is good. I'm waiting for Zip + Hitting the target. And if you can't hit the target, keep the other guy from hitting the target.

Hey Doc.

Lots of folks aren't aware of what Bleacher Report actually is. Here's Wiki's description:

Bleacher Report is a website that provides news and fans' opinions of sporting events.

The website was launched in February 2008 [2] by California-based entrepreneurs Dave Finocchio, Zander Freund, Bryan Goldberg, and Dave Nemetz. The purpose of the website was to provide a platform for bloggers and amateur sports writers to publish their work where visitors could find their articles easily.

Being fair to Dr. Fishfinder, one could say the same about a number of websites

Are a lot of professional sportswriters much better? (uncertain)

I remember great amusement in the football TV analysts when Fitzy took over as the Bill's QB like, "seriously?".

I also remember reading former Dolphins greats at the end of the year saying seriously, that the Bills were ahead of the Dolphins rebuilding "because they've got Fitzpatrick".

Fitzy seems fondly remembered by most Rams fans I know, BTW.