Ground turkey...cook the **** out of it!!!

Beerball

one

Two

three

I am bias, of course....but it is true. :lol:

I'm hearing that the extreme heat will lead to a short term reduction in beef prices as more are slaughtered, but that this fall prices will skyrocket. What does your experience tell you (talking about supermarket beef, not your pampered grass fed herd that I would kill to try).

Source identified. Best advice is still to cook the **** out of it!

I'm hearing that the extreme heat will lead to a short term reduction in beef prices as more are slaughtered, but that this fall prices will skyrocket. What does your experience tell you (talking about supermarket beef, not your pampered grass fed herd that I would kill to try).

Source identified. Best advice is still to cook the **** out of it!

Prices here are going pretty high, I sold my old grumpy bull a few weeks ago and got $91.5/lbs. If a full grown slaughter bull brings you almost 1500k then prices are high. A bull will only be good for ground beef - 680-700 lbs. of it. The cost to just pay the purchase would be about $2.30 per lbs. at the market. You take in transport of him (a big rig @ 3mpg of diesel traveling to the nearest major packing facility in PA = 450 miles) which is about $550, then the packaging cost of about $.20/lbs. = $140...well, the price per lbs. to cover all costs is going to be about $3.15/lbs. for the ground beef. Of course, the plain and simple truth is that when the prices go up the retailer makes the biggest % of it.

Last year slaughter bulls were at about $78 - 85/lbs. The latest average I saw was about $90/lbs. So maybe that will give you some idea of how it all works in that perspective.

However, I have been watching the reports from the markets, there is quite a bit less then this time last year. I do not know if other regions are trending the same but there are fewer receipts then this time last year. There tends to be a pattern in the cattle business and it slides up and down every 4-6 years. It takes roughly 2 years to get an animal to ideal size. Another factor is farming practices such as seedstock farming, the practice of creating dams and sires with idea genetics to produce offspring will be generally sold commercially with specific traits desired. Once the dam has calved it will be about 6 months later to see how the calf will grade out. Every 2-3 years there seems to be a bumper crop and about half of them will be culled. With the drought of 07 and 08 hitting much of the SouthEast causing a lot of people to sell large portions of their herd. In 02 the same had happened, prices in 06 and 07 were poised to do well. Prices are likely to keep trending up but may have already hit their plateau.

For what it is worth, I sold my ground beef for $4.50/lbs. in 2010. This year it is $4.66 or $7/package.