The Bills are one of 11 teams…

"It remains widely believed by fans and some in the media that the mandatory minimum cash spend of 89 percent under the new labor deal immediately applies. It doesn’t.

While the league as a whole must spend cash in 2011 that equates to 99 percent of the cap, there’s no minimum requirement for each team until 2013. Thus, neither the Bengals nor any other specific team is required to spend another dime — as long as all 32 teams cuts checks this year that equal at least $3.814 billion."

The who and why.

"It remains widely believed by fans and some in the media that the mandatory minimum cash spend of 89 percent under the new labor deal immediately applies. It doesn’t.

While the league as a whole must spend cash in 2011 that equates to 99 percent of the cap, there’s no minimum requirement for each team until 2013. Thus, neither the Bengals nor any other specific team is required to spend another dime — as long as all 32 teams cuts checks this year that equal at least $3.814 billion."

The who and why.

To some extent local coverage such as this is going to drive individual teams to spend more.

It is already generally accepted truth (whether it is true or not) on this board that Mr. Ralph is a cheapskate.

However, if this becomes the conventional wisdom in the public eye, then the owner will get more of the blame for any poor finishes because he refused to spend money on the team.

This in turn MIGHT cut down on how rabid local fans are for the team.

In the end, the question is whether the Bengals are the norm for behavior or the exception to the rule that teams will spend to win.

Right now with only a 1/3 of the teams with over $20 mill in cap room despite the delay in the FA period getting underway the market likely will force teams to spend more.

The question is going to be how many stupid expenditures for a Chris Kelsay, Dockery or Walker will a team make.

I am one of those fans who firmly believes Ralph is cheap...Come on the evidence is plentiful.

Having said that, I have no problem with the way the Bills have gone about this off season. As a matter of fact, I can't think of many things they could have done better so far. Other than the moves the Bills made below, which were serious positions of needs there really aren't any free agents that could help us. Why break the bank on another Dockery? Save that cap space for a special player, or when we actually have a chance to contend...

Resigned Florence (their best CB by far the last 2 years), to a reasonable deal.

Got rid of POZ, some may like him, but he is overrated and doesn't fit this defense. 6 years 42 mil? Good luck (LA?)Jags, lol.

Signed Barnett. No superstar, but bigger and better than Pussluzny...to top it off we got him on the cheap (of course) 3 years 12 mil

They went after Clabo (best available OL), but there as long as Atlanta was interested there was never a chance he would leave.

We signed Thigpen, had an amazing 08 season WITH CHAN GAILEY on a horrible KC team (21 TD's in 11 starts) only 1 start since. As a backup. All other available QB's were very expensive and very overrated.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Nix should be praying that the OT position solidifies itself prior to the opener. If not, he should be criticized for not upgrading the position in the off-season. You can draft, sign F/A or makes trades to upgrade a position of need, and so far, the only thing done in the off-season was to use a 4th round pick to address this problem.

Bell, Pears, Wrotto, Wang & Hairston.... :sick:

if it were my team , I would get Levite and wood extended right now. They are team leaders and players they are building around. Stevie is going to have to get paid.. Fitz is on the last year of his contract and I am wondering if it makes sense to do something longer term with kyle williams. Makes more sense to lock up your core then over spending on lesser talent . just my two cents

Nix should be praying that the OT position solidifies itself prior to the opener. If not, he should be criticized for not upgrading the position in the off-season. You can draft, sign F/A or makes trades to upgrade a position of need, and so far, the only thing done in the off-season was to use a 4th round pick to address this problem.

Bell, Pears, Wrotto, Wang & Hairston.... :sick:

Let me ask you this though...Who should they sign? It's not like there is unlimited talent just waiting to be signed, there aren't any young proven OT's out there. This was also considered a very weak draft for OT's, so I'm fine with them not spending an early pick and hoping for the best.

They went after Clabo, even though Atlanta had a huge advantage. He was the only real big name OL available this year.

Let me ask you this though...Who should they sign? It's not like there is unlimited talent just waiting to be signed, there aren't any young proven OT's out there. This was also considered a very weak draft for OT's, so I'm fine with them not spending an early pick and hoping for the best.

They went after Clabo, even though Atlanta had a huge advantage. He was the only real big name OL available this year.

Boss? Miller?

if it were my team , I would get Levite and wood extended right now. They are team leaders and players they are building around. Stevie is going to have to get paid.. Fitz is on the last year of his contract and I am wondering if it makes sense to do something longer term with kyle williams. Makes more sense to lock up your core then over spending on lesser talent . just my two cents

I agree with this to a large extent… was wondering who was gonna post something like this.

Yaaaaaaaaa another Ralph is cheap thread!

Nope.

Pointing out a fact and calling him cheap are two different things.

Boss? Miller?

First name? Team? Those aren't standing out to me.

There are free agents available, my point if you are going to hand out a big contract, they should be BETTER than the guys you already have. We don't need more Langston Walkers, or Derrick Dockerys.

Clabo was a young, proven talent and would have been a huge upgrade. We didn't get him, but that's the type of guy we should target if we are going to make a move...not just more of the same average players we already have. Just my opinion of course.

There are free agents available, my point if you are going to hand out a big contract, they should be BETTER than the guys you already have. We don't need more Langston Walkers, or Derrick Dockerys.

Clabo was a young, proven talent and would have been a huge upgrade. We didn't get him, but that's the type of guy we should target if we are going to make a move...not just more of the same average players we already have. Just my opinion of course.

C'mon, Turbo...Kevin Boss and Zach Miller are the top two TEs in free agency.

Only Nix would know who is available via trade. So the plan was to try and sign Clabo, and if that fails, do nothing and HOPE that one of the guys on the team doesn't get your QB killed at some point in the season?? This is now Nix's 2nd offseason, and this is the best he can do to improve the OT position?

Edited by LabattBlue

Yaaaaaaaaa another Ralph is cheap thread!

Saving up for his funeral I guess. Maybe we can wrap the Ralph is Cheap, Kelsay sucks and the Lee Evans threads all into one. Label them so people know it's WHINE TIME and let the post die quickly.

Saving up for his funeral I guess. Maybe we can wrap the Ralph is Cheap, Kelsay sucks and the Lee Evans threads all into one. Label them so people know it's WHINE TIME and let the post die quickly.

Don't forget to include this post in the "whine time" thread. :D

I am one of those fans who firmly believes Ralph is cheap...Come on the evidence is plentiful.

T.O....Dockery...Walker...Lee Evans extension...yep, what a miser! <_<.

There's plenty of evidence, as long as you ignore the deals when we did spend big bucks.

PTR

If you don't know who Boss and Chandler are, you might want to avoid posting comments about are the FA Buffalo should go after.

Having said that, I have no problem with the way the Bills have gone about this off season. As a matter of fact, I can't think of many things they could have done better so far. Other than the moves the Bills made below, which were serious positions of needs there really aren't any free agents that could help us. Why break the bank on another Dockery? Save that cap space for a special player, or when we actually have a chance to contend...

Resigned Florence (their best CB by far the last 2 years), to a reasonable deal.

Got rid of POZ, some may like him, but he is overrated and doesn't fit this defense. 6 years 42 mil? Good luck (LA?)Jags, lol.

Signed Barnett. No superstar, but bigger and better than Pussluzny...to top it off we got him on the cheap (of course) 3 years 12 mil

They went after Clabo (best available OL), but there as long as Atlanta was interested there was never a chance he would leave.

We signed Thigpen, had an amazing 08 season WITH CHAN GAILEY on a horrible KC team (21 TD's in 11 starts) only 1 start since. As a backup. All other available QB's were very expensive and very overrated.

:thumbsup: This board really makes you shake your head at times ... they want us to spend for spending sake, which Ralph has done in the past wasting 'his' money on bad picks ... but he also didn't overspend for players that other teams were willing to break their banks on and I didn't see the 49ers go to the Superbowl because of Nate Clements even though he was paid more than any other defensive player. Should the Bills have kept him?

Yes, I think they need a tight end but I am also feeling good about how Buddy and Chan analyze this team. Unlike many, such as a certain Buff News columnist, I do not want another old washed up former decent lineman when we haven't given Pears a chance at RT. Bell kept improving all last year.

So, Ralph is cheap ... but then so are the seats at THE RALPH! We can take our families to a Bills' game without a second mortgage but if we were heading over to see the Jets/Giants/Eagles/Patriots we'd be paying a lot more. So, I'll take cheap Ralph with a team of Buddy and Chan ... and I do remember that Ralph paid Bruce, Kelly, Andre, and crew enough to keep them happy here.

C'mon, Turbo...Kevin Boss and Zach Miller are the top two TEs in free agency.

I was specifically talking about OL, so I thought you were too.

If you don't know who Boss and Chandler are, you might want to avoid posting comments about are the FA Buffalo should go after.

Maybe you should actually bother reading the posts to determine what was being discussed. Offensive lineman

T.O....Dockery...Walker...Lee Evans extension...yep, what a miser! <_<.

There's plenty of evidence, as long as you ignore the deals when we did spend big bucks.

PTR

Ok, you just proved the point you were trying to fight...All of those players you named were lower level free agents when they were signed, not one of them was a "big name" signing (maybe TO, but no other team wanted him). They were all guys that had a "decent showing". So this post proves that not only is Ralph cheap, but that when he does actually sign someone, he has no idea what the contract should be worth....

Having said that, if you read my whole post you would have noticed that I LIKE what they are doing this year. They picked up one of the best available free agent LB's in Barnett, at just a 12 mil contract. The signed Florence to a 15 mil contract. These signings were way more valuable than the Dockery/Walker signings, at half the price. Maybe Nix actually knows what he is doing, and is actually calling the shots...

Edited by Turbosrrgood