Aaron Maybin only weighs 228lbs

Labatt I think its close between maybin and mike williams. At least Williams saw the field

Williams started 3 seasons as a Bill and then was on the road to making a comeback with Washington before the blood clot issues. Maybin's resume...<nothing but crickets chirping>.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, if Mike Williams had Maybin's alleged desire, or if Maybin had Mike Williams' physique, we would have had a lock HOFer. Instead, we have two overpaid wannabe rappers one of which can't manage to keep his tricked out ride on the road.

You make a good point but here is something to chew on.

Orakpo was on the board when the Bills came up. He had a better than average college career and was productive. I almost hit the ceiling was they drafted Maybin. They would be much futher ahead if they would have drafted Ngata instead of Whiter but the Rack would have helped the team just as much because he has proven to get pressure on the passer.

Does Maybin have a sack in a regular season game? That's what they drafted him for and it just didnt not work out because they fell for a kid who was a one year wonder.

Let's say for the sake of argument that you're right, and that Orakpo and Ngata would have been of roughly equal value to the Bills. The question we then have to ask ourselves is, would either player be as valuable as Jay Cutler?

If you don't have a franchise QB, and if there's one available to be drafted, you take him. Period. The question is, is Jay Cutler a franchise quarterback?

To me, the best single statistical measure of a quarterback's success is yards per attempt. A QB with a career average yards per attempt of 7.2 may or may not be considered franchise, while one with a career average of 7.4 yards per attempt or more is definitely franchise, no questions asked. 7.4 yards per attempt is a high standard--Tom Brady's career average is 7.4 yards per attempt, and Peyton Manning's average is 7.6 yards per attempt.

Jay Cutler's career average is 7.2 yards per attempt, which puts him in borderline franchise QB territory. This past season he averaged 7.4 yards per attempt. This is all the more impressive when you consider that he played without an offensive line.

When Denver traded him away, they received two first rounders, plus Kyle Orton, in return. I recall reading that Chicago wasn't the only team willing to part with two first rounders for Cutler. But they were the only team willing or able to throw in a QB which Denver liked as much as they liked Kyle Orton. If Orakpo or Ngata were to be traded away, how would their trade values compare to what Denver received for Cutler?

You could argue that the Bills should have taken Cutler 8th overall. (In fact, that's precisely what I did argue leading up to the 2006 draft! :angry: ) Had they done so, they could have either a) used Cutler as their long-term answer at QB, or b) trade Cutler away for some really juicy draft picks. Two first rounders + Kyle Orton for Cutler is worlds better than a fourth and sixth rounder for Marshawn Lynch, or first-contract-and-out for Whitner and Poz!

The Whitner pick cost us Cutler, and the Maybin pick cost us Orakpo. I'd argue that the pain of losing Cutler is even worse than the pain of losing Orakpo.

Going by all the rationalization approaches, Worst pick EVER = Tom Cousineau first overall pick in 1979.

He never played a season for buf and instead went to CFL. Joe Montana was drafted that year.

However, on the ludicrous Donte vs Whitner pick contrast…. Whitner has been a solid starter, made plays and consistently started. Maybin wasn’t even getting off the bench when the Bills were 6 LB’s into the depth chart and picking up Training camp cast offs off of the street due to injuries.

Going by all the rationalization approaches, Worst pick EVER = Tom Cousineau first overall pick in 1979.

He never played a season for buf and instead went to CFL. Joe Montana was drafted that year.

However, on the ludicrous Donte vs Whitner pick contrast…. Whitner has been a solid starter, made plays and consistently started. Maybin wasn’t even getting off the bench when the Bills were 6 LB’s into the depth chart and picking up Training camp cast offs off of the street due to injuries.

Sorry, but Cousineau was the most valuable 1st round draft choice we ever made. And it's not even close.

GO BILLS!!!

Sadly, if Mike Williams had Maybin's alleged desire, or if Maybin had Mike Williams' physique, we would have had a lock HOFer. Instead, we have two overpaid wannabe rappers one of which can't manage to keep his tricked out ride on the road.

In football, a willingness to go thru the motions is not something that should be confused with desire. When you are a 228 pound pass rusher facing 320 pound OT's you need to be a tough SOB. Maybin is not. To some extent, it's human nature. If you are a 20 year old kid with millions in your pocket......do you sell out and tear your sh*t up in search of glory.....or do you go thru the motions, get paid and party? I think Maybin is the latter. Would he like to keep this gig going? Certainly. Is he tore up about not actually being any good? Nope.

There is no way he will survive at his current position at that weight. I read articles from a few months ago saying he was 245 and wanted to be 255 for camp. I got this weight from from their website.

I was kind of hoping he would do something but at that weight there is no chance. He may have to be moved to safety or cut outright. Another high pick wasted.

He already has a headstart on his life after football. Coming very soon!

Sorry, but Cousineau was the most valuable 1st round draft choice we ever made. And it's not even close.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't follow the trail to Jimbo. Thanks for cross check... Proves the point that despite how useless a guy is at the time, randomn scenarios evolve which are completely unpredictable at the time of the pick.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

In football, a willingness to go thru the motions is not something that should be confused with desire. When you are a 228 pound pass rusher facing 320 pound OT's you need to be a tough SOB. Maybin is not. To some extent, it's human nature. If you are a 20 year old kid with millions in your pocket......do you sell out and tear your sh*t up in search of glory.....or do you go thru the motions, get paid and party? I think Maybin is the latter. Would he like to keep this gig going? Certainly. Is he tore up about not actually being any good? Nope.

Agreed, Dick.

I don't think Maybin has that burning desire one needs in order to do hand-to-hand combat with the elite human monsters that populate the NFL.

Some players are motivated by an ultra-competitive nature. Some had to fight their way out of the ghetto and treat football as a street fight for survival. Other players are motivated by the desire to continue collecting big paychecks.

I agree with the general discussion in this topic… that Maybin is not a very driven person, nor is he particularly mature.

Maybin might end up being one of those guys who looks back on his career with the regret that he didn't know what he had when he had it.

Agreed, Dick.

I don't think Maybin has that burning desire one needs in order to do hand-to-hand combat with the elite human monsters that populate the NFL.

Some players are motivated by an ultra-competitive nature. Some had to fight their way out of the ghetto and treat football as a street fight for survival. Other players are motivated by the desire to continue collecting big paychecks.

I agree with the general discussion in this topic… that Maybin is not a very driven person, nor is he particularly mature.

Maybin might end up being one of those guys who looks back on his career with the regret that he didn't know what he had when he had it.

have to disagree about the issue being desire...-i just dont think he has talent. a guy without the desire but with the talent would at least show SOMETHING. maybin has shown nothing. its not his fault that he was put in a position to make a few sacks at one stretch in one college season---enough to fool a dumb organization like buffalo.he got incredibly lucky financially--and the price he paid for it was to be made to look foolish out on the football field-and have to take a lot of ridicule. yes i think he is immature, and he may not be the hardest working guy either---but i dont think thats the core of it.

Let's say for the sake of argument that you're right, and that Orakpo and Ngata would have been of roughly equal value to the Bills. The question we then have to ask ourselves is, would either player be as valuable as Jay Cutler?

If you don't have a franchise QB, and if there's one available to be drafted, you take him. Period. The question is, is Jay Cutler a franchise quarterback?

To me, the best single statistical measure of a quarterback's success is yards per attempt. A QB with a career average yards per attempt of 7.2 may or may not be considered franchise, while one with a career average of 7.4 yards per attempt or more is definitely franchise, no questions asked. 7.4 yards per attempt is a high standard--Tom Brady's career average is 7.4 yards per attempt, and Peyton Manning's average is 7.6 yards per attempt.

Jay Cutler's career average is 7.2 yards per attempt, which puts him in borderline franchise QB territory. This past season he averaged 7.4 yards per attempt. This is all the more impressive when you consider that he played without an offensive line.

When Denver traded him away, they received two first rounders, plus Kyle Orton, in return. I recall reading that Chicago wasn't the only team willing to part with two first rounders for Cutler. But they were the only team willing or able to throw in a QB which Denver liked as much as they liked Kyle Orton. If Orakpo or Ngata were to be traded away, how would their trade values compare to what Denver received for Cutler?

You could argue that the Bills should have taken Cutler 8th overall. (In fact, that's precisely what I did argue leading up to the 2006 draft! :angry: ) Had they done so, they could have either a) used Cutler as their long-term answer at QB, or b) trade Cutler away for some really juicy draft picks. Two first rounders + Kyle Orton for Cutler is worlds better than a fourth and sixth rounder for Marshawn Lynch, or first-contract-and-out for Whitner and Poz!

The Whitner pick cost us Cutler, and the Maybin pick cost us Orakpo. I'd argue that the pain of losing Cutler is even worse than the pain of losing Orakpo.

Don't think the Bills had the thought of drafting Cutler because at the time we still did not know what we had in Losman . Matter of fact Losman had his best season in 2006 even though he did not light the world on fire.

But your right, missing on Cutler cost us but at the time the front office thought (wrongly) that we had a up and coming QB.

The Whitner pick cost us Ngata if you throw JP in the mix in that equation.

But I still believe that missing Orakpo and taking MaybeNot is the worst mistake in the last decade.

Don't think the Bills had the thought of drafting Cutler because at the time we still did not know what we had in Losman . Matter of fact Losman had his best season in 2006 even though he did not light the world on fire.

But your right, missing on Cutler cost us but at the time the front office thought (wrongly) that we had a up and coming QB.

The Whitner pick cost us Ngata if you throw JP in the mix in that equation.

But I still believe that missing Orakpo and taking MaybeNot is the worst mistake in the last decade.

I agree with you that the Bills were unlikely to take a QB in the first round until they'd given Losman a chance.

Shortly after the 2004 draft, Dave Wannestadt said he wouldn't have taken Losman with the last pick of the seventh round. Had Wannestadt been the Bills' GM in 2006, it's fairly safe to say he wouldn't have passed up an opportunity to draft a franchise QB just because of Losman's presence on the roster. Nor was Wannestadt unique in seeing, fairly early on, that Losman would likely be a bust. Losman did little or nothing in college to turn himself into a proven pocket passer. His first round draft status was based largely on his physical gifts, and quarterbacks like that are disproportionately likely to fail.

But suppose, for the sake of argument, that the Bills in 2006 thought there was a 50% chance of Losman becoming a good player. If they had identified Cutler as a franchise or near franchise QB, they should have drafted him anyway. Then they'd line up Losman as their starter in 2006. If he played well, he'd be the Bills' starter for however long it took to trade him. The objective would be to obtain at least one, and ideally two, first rounders for him. Then Cutler would become the starter. But if Losman didn't work out, his replacement would already be on the roster in the form of Cutler.

The Bills made at least three major errors with their first draft pick in 2006:

• Thinking that Losman had a significant chance of working out.
  • Failing to realize Cutler would be a borderline franchise QB. (Or else thinking that a 50% chance of Losman working out meant they didn't need a borderline franchise QB.)
  • Thinking there was even a remote chance of Whitner being worth anything close to the eighth overall pick.

Come to think of it, there appears to have been a fourth error as well: the thought that the Bills had to have a first round SS right away, even though it was year one of Marv's rebuilding program. (The word "rebuilding" should not be interpreted too literally.) There's no way that a team with as many holes as the Bills had in 2006 should walk into the draft room with the thought that their first two picks had to be used on a DT and an SS! :angry: Anyone who thinks like that shouldn't be a GM, any more than someone who believes the Sun revolves around the Earth should be put in charge of a college astronomy department.

Come to think of it, there appears to have been a fourth error as well: the thought that the Bills had to have a first round SS right away, even though it was year one of Marv's rebuilding program. (The word "rebuilding" should not be interpreted too literally.) There's no way that a team with as many holes as the Bills had in 2006 should walk into the draft room with the thought that their first two picks had to be used on a DT and an SS! :angry: Anyone who thinks like that shouldn't be a GM, any more than someone who believes the Sun revolves around the Earth should be put in charge of a college astronomy department.

The bottom line is that no matter what this team's needs were (many) the organizaiton had little ability to evaluate college prospects or pro free agent prospects. If Whitner was an impact safety the Ngata option would not be an issue. The Bills giving up a pick to move up in order to draft McCargo was another example of this organization's ineptitude. Is there a more non-contributing or invisible player on our roster?

Teams that draft well such as Green Bay, Baltimore, Pitts etc are consistently competitive in a system designed for a lot of player movement. The Bills were not only one of the worst drating franchises but they were also one of the most peculiar drafting teams. Trying to go back and understand their line of reasoning is futile because there is nothing sensible about it.

The Bills owner fired employees such as Bill Polian and John Butler/A.J.Smith. He replaced the competent staff with the mediocre staff such as Jauron/Levy/Modrak/Guy. There should be no surprise to the outcome. The owner got what he deserved because he is the one responsible for bringing in the junk.

Edited by JohnC

Above all else -- the "it's hard to win in this league" comments, the incessant drafting of CBs, the lack of any feel for offense -- the Maybin pick is the biggest slap in the face Jauron gave the Bills' organization. It's simply embarrassing.

It's not Maybin's fault, as long as he's trying his hardest.

Eff you Dick.

I will agree that is a pretty big slap in the face which Jauron gave the Bills but this may even top that . If i remember correctly while Donte , Poz & more than likely Maybin will be let go (2 first rounders & one second) Jauron is still getting paid by the team isn't he ?

I believe he was given a 2 or 3 year extention so while all of this is going on he is still collecting 2 pay checks , isn't that enough to frost your balls !!

Just to throw another in there why didn't he go after Whitner or Poz if he thought he was so good ?? You can bet your Ars he won't go after Maybin !! What a Dick Jauron :bag:

have to disagree about the issue being desire...-i just dont think he has talent. a guy without the desire but with the talent would at least show SOMETHING. maybin has shown nothing. its not his fault that he was put in a position to make a few sacks at one stretch in one college season---enough to fool a dumb organization like buffalo.he got incredibly lucky financially--and the price he paid for it was to be made to look foolish out on the football field-and have to take a lot of ridicule. yes i think he is immature, and he may not be the hardest working guy either---but i dont think thats the core of it.

No question the guy does not have special talent. But there are plenty of oustanding players who don't have special talent but are tough and competitive. That's what he is lacking. There is no intensity about him so all the hard work he puts in at the gym is worth nothing on gameday. That competitiveness is something fans just take for granted because it's rare to find a player at the NFL level who doesn't have it in spades. Maybin is only in the league still because of his lofty draft status. He literally would have been a first cut in his rookie year by every team in the league if he were a 7th round pick.

He looks like he is pretending to be a football player on the field. Each incidence of contact is embellished as if he were being overcome by the forces of nature.

I will agree that is a pretty big slap in the face which Jauron gave the Bills but this may even top that . If i remember correctly while Donte , Poz & more than likely Maybin will be let go (2 first rounders & one second) Jauron is still getting paid by the team isn't he ?

]I believe he was given a 2 or 3 year extention so while all of this is going on he is still collecting 2 pay checks , isn't that enough to frost your balls !!

Just to throw another in there why didn't he go after Whitner or Poz if he thought he was so good ?? You can bet your Ars he won't go after Maybin !! What a Dick Jauron :bag:

Why direct your anger at Jauron for the contract extension? It should be targeted to the clown operation for giving this mediocre HC an extension before they had to give him an extension. Not only did this hideously incompetent organization give him an extension but to make matter worse they gave him more authority on personnel matters.

The buffoon owner brought in an ill-equipped Marv Levy for a position he was not suited for. Marv was the person most responsible for DJ's hiring. After a couple of years Marv left the job that overwhelmed him; the end result is that he set this organization back in years. After Jauron's firing Levy was asked about the firing. His response was that the organization should not have fired him. He added, that he simply needed more time to get the job done.

When Nix took over his priority was undoing everything that the prior regime did. If Wilson would have made a smarter hire after the Donahoe regime this franchise would be much more advanced and competitive. As it is with the Oakland franchise each organization is a reflection of its bizarre owners .

The bottom line is that no matter what this team's needs were (many) the organizaiton had little ability to evaluate college prospects or pro free agent prospects. If Whitner was an impact safety the Ngata option would not be an issue. The Bills giving up a pick to move up in order to draft McCargo was another example of this organization's ineptitude. Is there a more non-contributing or invisible player on our roster?

Teams that draft well such as Green Bay, Baltimore, Pitts etc are consistently competitive in a system designed for a lot of player movement. The Bills were not only one of the worst drating franchises but they were also one of the most peculiar drafting teams. Trying to go back and understand their line of reasoning is futile because there is nothing sensible about it.

The Bills owner fired employees such as Bill Polian and John Butler/A.J.Smith. He replaced the competent staff with the mediocre staff such as Jauron/Levy/Modrak/Guy. There should be no surprise to the outcome. The owner got what he deserved because he is the one responsible for bringing in the junk.

I agree with the first bolded sentence, and partially disagree with the second.

Clearly the organization had little ability to evaluate potential draft picks, other teams' free agents, or even the players already on the roster. These were the people who kept Fred Jackson on the bench while the A-Train got all the carries, they thought Losman had a legitimate chance to be a successful QB, etc.

The reason I disagree with the second sentence is because even if Whitner had been an impact safety, the Ngata option would still have been better. (Though not as much better as has actually proved to be the case.) I'd argue that an impact DL is worth more than an impact safety.

But even if one were to argue that an impact DL and an impact safety are of roughly the same value, surely an impact QB is worth more than either! Maybe that goes back to your point about player evaluation, or lack thereof. Had the Bills evaluated Whitner, Cutler, and Losman correctly, the decision to take Cutler over Whitner would have been a no-brainer. The "no-brainer" comment assumes that the Bills had their priorities in order, and had realized that an impact QB is more important than filling holes at SS and DT. I realize this assumption is shaky.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I agree with you that the Bills were unlikely to take a QB in the first round until they'd given Losman a chance.

Shortly after the 2004 draft, Dave Wannestadt said he wouldn't have taken Losman with the last pick of the seventh round. Had Wannestadt been the Bills' GM in 2006, it's fairly safe to say he wouldn't have passed up an opportunity to draft a franchise QB just because of Losman's presence on the roster. Nor was Wannestadt unique in seeing, fairly early on, that Losman would likely be a bust. Losman did little or nothing in college to turn himself into a proven pocket passer. His first round draft status was based largely on his physical gifts, and quarterbacks like that are disproportionately likely to fail.

But suppose, for the sake of argument, that the Bills in 2006 thought there was a 50% chance of Losman becoming a good player. If they had identified Cutler as a franchise or near franchise QB, they should have drafted him anyway. Then they'd line up Losman as their starter in 2006. If he played well, he'd be the Bills' starter for however long it took to trade him. The objective would be to obtain at least one, and ideally two, first rounders for him. Then Cutler would become the starter. But if Losman didn't work out, his replacement would already be on the roster in the form of Cutler.

The Bills made at least three major errors with their first draft pick in 2006:

• Thinking that Losman had a significant chance of working out.
  • Failing to realize Cutler would be a borderline franchise QB. (Or else thinking that a 50% chance of Losman working out meant they didn't need a borderline franchise QB.)
  • Thinking there was even a remote chance of Whitner being worth anything close to the eighth overall pick.

The most important error that you left out was Ralph Wilson giving Marv the GM job. It goes back to Wilson.

Say we get Nix from San Diego in 2006. I do not believe he takes Whitner. Wonder who he would have choose between Culter or Ngata but I damn sure know he does not trade back into the first round and get McCargo , who is another first round bust.

You can blame Marv but I blame Wilson for hiring him just because he could trust nobody after what Donahoe did to his team. If Marv was weak as a GM, so were his scouts and drafting guys like Whitner, McCargo, Poz, as a matter of fact the whole draft class of 2007 is not even on the team anymore speaks volumes.

The most important error that you left out was Ralph Wilson giving Marv the GM job. It goes back to Wilson.

Say we get Nix from San Diego in 2006. I do not believe he takes Whitner. Wonder who he would have choose between Culter or Ngata but I damn sure know he does not trade back into the first round and get McCargo , who is another first round bust.

You can blame Marv but I blame Wilson for hiring him just because he could trust nobody after what Donahoe did to his team. If Marv was weak as a GM, so were his scouts and drafting guys like Whitner, McCargo, Poz, as a matter of fact the whole draft class of 2007 is not even on the team anymore speaks volumes.

I agree Marv was an absolutely terrible hire. As a GM, he made TD look shiny and wonderful by comparison.

However . . . I don't remember very many people on this board complaining about the hiring of Marv at the time. It's hard to place too much blame on Ralph for having failed to avoid an error that many here would also have made. (Even though it proved to be a very serious error!)

I also agree that had Nix traded back into the first round, it would far more likely have been for Mangold than for McCargo.