Randy Moss retires

I think this is really it after last year .

I will never forget that one-handed TD catch vs Revis last year.

Will miss seeing people get "Mossed"

Yeah...I think that after last year when the Pats got fed up with him he pretty much packed it in. As a matter of fact I bet he regrets burning his bridges over there.

Probably the 2nd greatest receiver of all time, and the most dangerous vertical threat.

If he had the work ethic and mindset of Jerry Rice, he would undoubtedly be the greatest WR of all time. But then again, that's what makes Jerry Rice, Jerry Rice. As it stands now, Moss is probably the most physically gifted WR to ever play the game.

If he had the work ethic and mindset of Jerry Rice, he would undoubtedly be the greatest WR of all time. But then again, that's what makes Jerry Rice, Jerry Rice. As it stands now, Moss is probably the most physically gifted WR to ever play the game.

I hate to agree with you...but I agree with you. Moss has (or had) scary skills.

He's done. In twenty years, he'll be in that group of Hall of Fame players that had sad endings to their careers with a picture of him in a Titans uniform.

To me, that is a man who will live with a big regret down the road. He was an absolute blockbuster of a player, but he'll regret that perhaps with a little more work, little less distraction off the field, he would have been the greatest player at the position in the history of the game.

I guess I'm in the minority here based on the thread, but even with full effort throughout his career I think Moss is 2nd to Rice. Let's not forget that Moss put together some absolutely monstrous seasons in Minnesota and New England and he STILL ranks a full 8,000 yards, 44 touchdowns, 600 receptions, and 3 Superbowl Rings behind Rice. Those aren't gaps, they're chasms. Moss would have needed 8 more seasons of work to even approach those numbers, so I don't think it's just a matter of effort. Rice was just hands down the best ever.

I guess I'm in the minority here based on the thread, but even with full effort throughout his career I think Moss is 2nd to Rice. Let's not forget that Moss put together some absolutely monstrous seasons in Minnesota and New England and he STILL ranks a full 8,000 yards, 44 touchdowns, 600 receptions, and 3 Superbowl Rings behind Rice. Those aren't gaps, they're chasms. Moss would have needed 8 more seasons of work to even approach those numbers, so I don't think it's just a matter of effort. Rice was just hands down the best ever.

With full effort throughout his career, he doesn't mail it in with the Raiders in 2006, or self-implode in 2010. He'd be that much closer to Rice's numbers (figure 6000 yards, 450 receptions) if not for that - which was three-quarters ****-ass attutude and one-quarter playing for the Raiders.

Of course, if you want a guy to build a team around, you take Rice hands-down. But if you just want a schmuck to catch the ball, and can duct-tape his mouth shut and lock him in a cell Monday through Saturday...that's a tougher call.

saw someone comment that if they both stay true to their word, Moss and Favre could go into the hall in the same class. As good as Moss was not sure he should go in with Favre, as much of a side show as favre became, he should have his own class...but i know they don't do that....

He is top 5 for sure. But, I hate to give him the #2 slot. Just because...

With full effort throughout his career, he doesn't mail it in with the Raiders in 2006, or self-implode in 2010. He'd be that much closer to Rice's numbers (figure 6000 yards, 450 receptions) if not for that - which was three-quarters ****-ass attutude and one-quarter playing for the Raiders.

Of course, if you want a guy to build a team around, you take Rice hands-down. But if you just want a schmuck to catch the ball, and can duct-tape his mouth shut and lock him in a cell Monday through Saturday...that's a tougher call.

In some ways we'll never know how Rice would have dealt with adversity… the Niners had already won 2 Super Bowls under Bill Walsh when they drafted him.

One thing that people tend to forget is that Rice ended his career playing for the Raiders, and then the Seattle Seahawks, and even signed with the Denver Broncos, before calling it quits. He didn't go as gracefully as one would have expected.

Also it's well-known in the Bay Area that the Niners protected Rice from the media, often making him unavailable to comment when he was in a bad mood… thus helping to protect his legacy. The NFL changed its media access rules after Rice's career and basically forces star players to appear before the media these days. Rice's more diva-esque tendencies were often hidden from view.

Still, Rice is the greatest receiver (with Don Hutson often mentioned as a close second) and certainly a better character guy than Moss.