Getting Bin Laden

During the next four minutes, the interior of the Black Hawks rustled alive with the metallic cough of rounds being chambered. Mark, a master chief petty officer and the ranking noncommissioned officer on the operation, crouched on one knee beside the open door of the lead helicopter. He and the eleven other SEALs on “helo one,” who were wearing gloves and had on night-vision goggles, were preparing to fast-rope into bin Laden’s yard. They waited for the crew chief to give the signal to throw the rope. But, as the pilot passed over the compound, pulled into a high hover, and began lowering the aircraft, he felt the Black Hawk getting away from him. He sensed that they were going to crash.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/08/110808fa_fact_schmidle

Before the President returned to Washington, he posed for photographs with each team member and spoke with many of them, but he left one thing unsaid. He never asked who fired the kill shot, and the SEALs never volunteered to tell him.

I can promise you one thing. It wasn't a bald guy.

Thanks for the link. cool.

I can promise you one thing. It wasn't a bald guy.

Thanks for the link. cool.

Maybe it was - I mean who would be more pissed off than a bald guy? Maybe Seal Team Six is full of angry bald guys and dogs. Nobody can say because their identities are a closely kept secret.

Maybe it was - I mean who would be more pissed off than a bald guy? Maybe Seal Team Six is full of angry bald guys and dogs. Nobody can say because their identities are a closely kept secret.

Shaved heads.

Thanks for posting. That was a good read.

You have to be accurate with those shots. I can see the guys with the C4 blowing up crap being bald, but anyone with a gun and a target to hit? No way.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2011/09/05/110905taco_talk_remnick

another Obama foreign policy success. Reagan couldn't get Quadaffy, and Bush couldn't get Osama....Obama got them both!

The attack on Libya in the 80s isn't comparable to 2011. Reagan ordered a bombing raid on Libya. Obama made war for 6 months. Oops, I'm sorry it wasn't a war it was a kinetic operation, err supporting role.

And Osama? Was Obama involved in gathering intel? Was Obama involved in planning the op? Was Obama part of the assault force? He gave the order that just about any other American would have done.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2011/09/05/110905taco_talk_remnick

another Obama foreign policy success. Reagan couldn't get Quadaffy, and Bush couldn't get Osama....Obama got them both!

:lol: Calling Libya a foreign policy success is ridiculous. What'd he do, again? Oh, that's right...nothing. He sat back and let the Europeans take the lead in supporting a rebellion, while he made such meaningless statements as "we're not fighting against Qadaffi...but he's lost the 'legitimte right to rule'."

And if he "got" Qadaffi...why is Qadaffi still free? :wallbash:

But other than doing nothing, and accomplishing exactly nothing like you said...yeah, you're right. It's one of his bigger foreign policy successes. :wacko:

:lol: Calling Libya a foreign policy success is ridiculous. What'd he do, again? Oh, that's right...nothing. He sat back and let the Europeans take the lead in supporting a rebellion, while he made such meaningless statements as "we're not fighting against Qadaffi...but he's lost the 'legitimte right to rule'."

And if he "got" Qadaffi...why is Qadaffi still free? :wallbash:

But other than doing nothing, and accomplishing exactly nothing like you said...yeah, you're right. It's one of his bigger foreign policy successes. :wacko:

We did nothing? Gees....stop being so partisan. And while we did not go way overboard and invade, that just goes to show that restraint is as imporant as action. :thumbsup:

Nice job Mr. President! The surrender monkey, terrorist coddling members of Congress that wanted you to let that terrorist win should be embarrassed. :thumbdown:

The attack on Libya in the 80s isn't comparable to 2011. Reagan ordered a bombing raid on Libya. Obama made war for 6 months. Oops, I'm sorry it wasn't a war it was a kinetic operation, err supporting role.

And Osama? Was Obama involved in gathering intel? Was Obama involved in planning the op? Was Obama part of the assault force? He gave the order that just about any other American would have done.

Obama made the right call in Libya and also in taking out Bin Laden - despite a 50/50 chance. You "Tea Drinkers" all would have been asking for Obama's impeachment if the operation to kill Osama failed. You would have been saying this is Jimmy Carter all over again! Why can't you give the POTUS some cred?

Obama made the right call in Libya and also in taking out Bin Laden - despite a 50/50 chance. You "Tea Drinkers" all would have been asking for Obama's impeachment if the operation to kill Osama failed. You would have been saying this is Jimmy Carter all over again! Why can't you give the POTUS some cred?

Although I refuse to give him flak for stupid **** like "He's vacationing in Martha's Vineyard and not Ocean City NJ!", I won't give him credit for doing nothing.

And he did not make the "right call" in Libya...he didn't make any call other than "follow the European's lead". Who dithered long enough that their half-assed spineless milquetoast "We're not fighting Qadaffi, we're protecting rebels. No, seriously." nonsense was probably worse than doing nothing at all. The only thing missing from that ridiculousness was an errant WMD claim.

Although I refuse to give him flak for stupid **** like "He's vacationing in Martha's Vineyard and not Ocean City NJ!", I won't give him credit for doing nothing.

And he did not make the "right call" in Libya...he didn't make any call other than "follow the European's lead". Who dithered long enough that their half-assed spineless milquetoast "We're not fighting Qadaffi, we're protecting rebels. No, seriously." nonsense was probably worse than doing nothing at all. The only thing missing from that ridiculousness was an errant WMD claim.

Nothing gets done in DC thanks to your Tea Party friends. However since they can't dictate his foreign policy that's where you see action. Obama has taken 1/2 the vacations that Mr. Crawford Texas George W ever did. Obama utilized NATO which ain't a bad idea. Cowboy diplomacy and going it alone isn't the best idea.

Nothing gets done in DC thanks to your Tea Party friends.

Yes, because in Washington everything was operating so smoothly before the Tea Party came about! :lol:

Ok, its confirmed, anybody with the word scoobie in their user names is a nincompoop.

Edited by Magox

So he didn't do anything but he helped the Europeans? Tom is decending into GG levels of stupidity. :bag:

Yes, because in Washington everything was operating so smoothly before the Tea Party came about! :lol:

Ok, its confirmed, anybody with the word scoobie in their user names is a nincompoop.

Hey, how about anyone that attacks the tea party is a nincompoop? Eh Mr. Non-partisan?

At least scooby isn't a fraud like you

Nothing gets done in DC thanks to your Tea Party friends. However since they can't dictate his foreign policy that's where you see action. Obama has taken 1/2 the vacations that Mr. Crawford Texas George W ever did. Obama utilized NATO which ain't a bad idea. Cowboy diplomacy and going it alone isn't the best idea.

:w00t:

You're nuts. Every single sentence above is either erroneous or stupid.

So he didn't do anything but he helped the Europeans? Tom is decending into GG levels of stupidity. :bag:

Hey, how about anyone that attacks the tea party is a nincompoop? Eh Mr. Non-partisan?

At least scooby isn't a fraud like you

no you moron, it's because of his comment... :lol:

:w00t:

You're nuts. Every single sentence above is either erroneous or stupid.

stick to policy and debate, and avoid personal attacks. problem with the "tea party" is their ideology reminiscent of George W "you are either with us, or against us."