Baseball Trade Strategy vs. NFL Draft strategy

This is what I see with this team. Nix and Co., as publicly stated are not going to make a big splash in free agency, the days of Russ Brandon bringing guys like TO to sell tickets are done. Why? Well, its similar to baseball teams and their thinking just before the trade deadline. Teams in or on the verge of the playoffs are "buyers", willing to trade prospects for proven guys right now in order to make a push for a championship. Teams that are worse look to get these prospects to build for the future. The NFL works like this in regards to the draft and even more so with the new CBA and the top picks in the draft going so "cheap" now.

What good would it really do us to sign an asomugha for 11 MIL a year? This would:

1:hurt us on the cap

2:make us good enough to finish 7-9 and not be able to get impact players like Dareus, leading to mediocrity.

Old players, while possibly slightly better than a given younger player do us no good, because they may make us a little better but at the expense of the development and discovery of younger talent. Case in point:Hangartner (29) out and Wood and Urbik (25) in. Wood is good at center but Wood G Hang C is probably significantly better than Wood C Urbik G.

Guys like Clabo do us no good in the long run, we arent one good (30 yr old) right tackle away from a championship!

I'm not going as far as saying we are intentionally bottoming out and going for Luck, but there is a method to the madness. I like having a football man at GM, I feel like we are actually in it to win it now [for the long term] instead of what we have seen in years past: the pacifying of a fan base desperate for hype in order to market the team.

We need to be as good as we can be but with the young guys who will be the future, not old and expensive vets.

So in short, I agree with our conservative approach to this free agency.

Edited by show_me_the_baby