O Line Confidence

Health and continuity is the main concern, if our starting group can stay healthy and create chemistry as a unit then we will be fine. We have lost starters early in the season and have had to sign street free agents and some off our guys have spent entire offseasons rehabbing its. Our line started to come on strong as of late last season, is getting much better. RT is the only question mark. We have good depth at the interior. If bell goes down we may be forced to shuffle around again and may be in some trouble. Pears is better than some of us think, he played LT and RT in Denver before suffering a leg injury then being caught up to the Josh McDaniels shuffling everyone out of town.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to change the avatar, mate.

And have you considered something I've posted numerous times; namely that Bell was playing last season on essentially one leg because he had not had the chance to strengthen after rehabbing? This season is a whole new ballgame.

I know it's not en vogue to be optimistic about anything Bills-related, but I don't think Bell is being fairly evaluated at this point.

Bell has never looked like a starting LT at any point in his young career, healthy or not. Average in pass protection but quite beatable to the good pass rushers, and a complete mess in the run game. I find him to be one of the more overrated Bills on this forum that there is right now...and he's not even rated all that highly.

Just because he's young and inexperienced, you don't ASSUME he's going to vastly improve. You could put me at left tackle and say, "He has no experience and no conditioning, he'll improve." My improvement would be irrelevant because I do not and never will have the skills to start at left tackle in the NFL. Could I be Demetrius Bell?

Last season was supposed to be the whole new ballgame, after the offseason of pro conditioning and strength training yada yada yada. I'm not holding my breath waiting for this guy to suddenly show competency when he has given us so little reason to believe.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

Bell has never looked like a starting LT at any point in his young career, healthy or not. Average in pass protection but quite beatable to the good pass rushers, and a complete mess in the run game. I find him to be one of the more overrated Bills on this forum that there is right now...and he's not even rated all that highly.

Just because he's young and inexperienced, you don't ASSUME he's going to vastly improve. You could put me at left tackle and say, "He has no experience and no conditioning, he'll improve." My improvement would be irrelevant because I do not and never will have the skills to start at left tackle in the NFL. Could I be Demetrius Bell?

Last season was supposed to be the whole new ballgame, after the offseason of pro conditioning and strength training yada yada yada. I'm not holding my breath waiting for this guy to suddenly show competency when he has given us so little reason to believe.

Someone higher than Buddy in the Bills organization refuses to assign any value at all to the OL.

Pure speculation, but this could be the after affects of a long standing grudge arising out of Polian's desire to spend a top pick on the OL over the recommendation of a certain Ralph relative.

Having accepted the reality of never being able to build an OL, Chan and Buddy have opted for an alternative strategy which rquires all QB's to fend for themselves on the field.-- thus the acquisiton of Thigpen and Brad Smith.

Run for your life

I guess we just disagree. Bell was pretty decent in pass protection last year, but suffered in the run game. This is a testament to strength, primarily, because his natural athleticism allows him to deal with edge rushers.

I think as a pass protector he graded out pretty well -- and as I said previously, the ability to focus on getting stronger this offseason gives reason for optimism.

But, if you don't think he was ever worth a spit, you're entitled to your opinion.

While Bell has allowed few sacks ...he has allowed many pressures. Plus every time the Bills face a tough opponent and the game comes down to crunch time he folds.

Everyone that reads this board must know my stance on the current players by now, I only like the guards.

Signing a RT like Clabo would have been to bring in a monster of a player at RT, and it would have also given the line the leadership it needs from a probowler

This line is still young and inexperienced, it remains to be seen in they will progress this season or get owned

I need to quibble on this point a bit. Last season was expected to be anything but a whole new ballgame for Bell. He was coming of surgery and was extremely limited in practice as was Wood. They basically just played the games and did walk-thrus to prepare for them. Now that they are fully healed and able to handle a full practice and conditioning regime, I think it's fair to make this season that "whole new ballgame" season.

GO BILLS!!!

The line of Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, and Pears will be better than last year's line. The interior should be stout. Wood and Urbik are maulers. Bell will be better and stronger. Having Pears at RT for the entire season is also better than the musical chairs of last year.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 excellent and 1 horrible, I'd say last year they were a 2, and they'll move up to a 3 easily. Quite possibly a 4 if Bell takes it to another level.

Someone higher than Buddy in the Bills organization refuses to assign any value at all to the OL.

Pure speculation, but this could be the after affects of a long standing grudge arising out of Polian's desire to spend a top pick on the OL over the recommendation of a certain Ralph relative.

Having accepted the reality of never being able to build an OL, Chan and Buddy have opted for an alternative strategy which rquires all QB's to fend for themselves on the field.-- thus the acquisiton of Thigpen and Brad Smith.

Run for your life

Calling that speculation would be kind.

The Bills have always assigned a high value to good football players, OLine included. Do we really have to go back and recite all the high round draft picks used on OLmen over the years? Just who is this "higher up" in the organization that doesn't want the Bills to sign OLmen? Was this person there when they made Wood and Levitre 1st and 2nd round picks, respectively a couple years ago?

And for what it's worth, Linda Bogden was a well-respected scout in her own right. It's not uncommon for scouts to vehemently defend their viewpoints in the war rooms around the league. Ironically, she had a keen eye for OLmen and pushed hard for Hull when she first became a scout as well John Davis when he became a FA a few years later.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The Bills have always assigned a high value to good football players, OLine included. Do we really have to go back and recite all the high round draft picks used on OLmen over the years?

GO BILLS!!!

You don't have to but feel free. And make sure that you do list the good football players. Then, please recite the list of high round dbs and try to apply it to wins.

Thanks.

Starting O-line today: Bell-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears. Second team: Wang-Rinehart-Hangartner-Wrotto-Hairston.

second team depends on who goes down, If its Bell, Pears who has played LT before most likely swings to that side and Hairston or Wrotto fills in at RT. If Levitre or Wood goes down Hangartner most likely fills in for them. Hangartner played LG in Carolina, then Rinehart at RG unless the coaching staff feels we would be stronger with Wood bumping back out at RG and Hangartner goes back in at Center

You don't have to but feel free. And make sure that you do list the good football players. Then, please recite the list of high round dbs and try to apply it to wins.

Thanks.

I suggest you do it instead. I don't need the proof nor the convincing. But you can start with Reggie McKenzie (2nd rd), Joe D (1st rd) then go up to Devlin (2nd rd), Ken Jones (2nd rd) then on to Jim Richter (1st rd), Wolford (1st rd), then Fina (1st rd), Reuben Brown (1st rd), Mike Williams (1st rd), right on up to the aforementioned Wood and Levitre.

I left out several 1st and 2nd rounders drafted by other teams that we acquired. Nor did I include the various 3rd and 4ths.

Whether or not they were good isn't germane to the argument which was that the Bills have a "higher up" that has instructed his direct reports NOT to place a value on OLmen. I find that ridiculous.

Feel free to look up the Dbacks yourself.

Associating drafting Dbacks or OLmen with wins is an argument made in a vacuum.

Again, I am just dispelling the ridiculous notion that someone high up in the organization has instructed the GM not to value OLmen.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I suggest you do it instead. I don't need the proof nor the convincing. But you can start with Reggie McKenzie (2nd rd), Joe D (1st rd) then go up to Devlin (2nd rd), Ken Jones (2nd rd) then on to Jim Richter (1st rd), Wolford (1st rd), then Fina (1st rd), Reuben Brown (1st rd), Mike Williams (1st rd), right on up to the aforementioned Wood and Levitre.

I left out several 1st and 2nd rounders drafted by other teams that we acquired. Nor did I include the various 3rd and 4ths.

Whether or not they were good isn't germane to the argument which was that the Bills have a "higher up" that has instructed his direct reports NOT to place a value on OLmen. I find that ridiculous.

Feel free to look up the Dbacks yourself.

Associating drafting Dbacks or OLmen with wins is an argument made in a vacuum.

Again, I am just dispelling the ridiculous notion that someone high up in the organization has instructed the GM not to value OLmen.

GO BILLS!!!

Your list supports my observation.

The first 7 on your list were acquired by Polian or before.

Ruben Brown was acquired by Butler who still had juice with the front office.

Notice that for the next 15 years after Polian left, the team has spent exactly 1 premium pick on an OT - which they screwed up

but I'm sure such a dismal track recored is standard for any solid playoff team

The team has clearly valued RBs and DBs with their premium picks which has resulted in their decade long playoff drought

Your list supports my observation.

The first 7 on your list were acquired by Polian or before.

Ruben Brown was acquired by Butler who still had juice with the front office.

Notice that for the next 15 years after Polian left, the team has spent exactly 1 premium pick on an OT - which they screwed up

but I'm sure such a dismal track recored is standard for any solid playoff team

The team has clearly valued RBs and DBs with their premium picks which has resulted in their decade long playoff drought

I'm still waiting to hear who this supposed "higher up" is that doesn't place a high value on OLmen. Was this person there BEFORE Polian?

Nobody is disputing that the Bills have drafted more RBs and DBs higher than OLmen in the last decade. I refuse to believe it's because TD, Marv, and Nix were instructed implicitly to do so. There are many legitimate reasons they've drafted as they have.

GO BILLS!!!

Like many others, I'm disappointed that the Bills haven't yet signed any help for the Offensive Line.

How confident are you guys in a line that probably looks something like this (see below) right now?

Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbick - Pears

Fine if bell can stay healthy, if not pears would slide left and Hairston, Brown and Rhinehart will battle for the right.