Brad Smith is a QB

1B4IDie

A lot of teams are going to take advantage of the 3rd QB rule by getting a "jack of many trades" in that role. The Bills got the best of the lot in Brad Smith. It was really being a first mover to take advantage of a new rule.

Buddy and Chan aren't sleeping they are just trying to overcome the image of a loser. There are still UFA's out there at RT, ILB, TE, SS that can help this team...at some point in time it becomes a significant buyers market and players start to come here. I still haven't lost faith in this front office--but they will not just sign guys for the sake of signing them.

In the article:

"Smith could be a threat to run for a touchdown, throw a touchdown pass, catch a touchdown pass and return a kick for a touchdown, all in the same game. In Gailey’s mind, the possibilities are endless."

NICE!!!!

I like the way he's planning on using Brad Smith, and that he's trying to fix the problem that the Bills don't have a lot of playmaking depth on offense by bringing in guys like Smith and Spiller. I also like that he's trying to be ahead of the curve with signing these types of guys and continuing to play innovative offensive coordinator.

Will it be successful? No idea. I don't know a lot about Brad Smith's abilities outside of his Special Teams talent (which makes the signing alone worth it). We'll see. I like that they're trying new things, though!

I'm still trying to figure out how they are going to use this guy. Thoughts??

Wildcat? Special teams? Seems like this takes the ball out of Spiller's hands.

They are saying WR, but who does he jump ahead? Not Evans, Stevie or Roscoe. Maybe not even Nelson or Easley.

They are saying WR, but who does he jump ahead? Not Evans, Stevie or Roscoe. Maybe not even Nelson or Easley.

He'll be the 3rd QB, who can now be fully active on gamedays (i.e. the 1st and 2nd QB don't need to be hurt first, or he doesn't have to wait until the 4th quarter). He'll return kicks (saves Spiller for just RB duty, maybe being an extra man back on KO's and ST's chicanery) and play in "Wildcat" formations, so as to give the opponents something to think about when he's on the field.

I think they view Spiller as more of a Reggie Bush type (primarily focused on routes out of the backfield / motion to split out wide), and Brad Smith as more of a rushing-QB/WR type. Small difference, but allows you to have a couple "waterbugs" (as they like to call it) in different positions.

Why and why?

Other than that, nice informative post

Getting old isn't it? Do the mods need to tighten up or do we just have to wait for a winner? It seems football talk is very rare around here these days, and moaning, complaining and attacking are running off anyone that did like to talk x's and o's.

I think smith will be a great add on. Free extra man on gameday, and will likely get a lot more play at WR than he did in NY. Definitely continues the trend towards being able to disguise intent based on personnel groupings (ie one grouping could go 5 wide, or standard pro set, or wildcat run it downhill, or even pass out of that). He's been a great leader too.

With chans comments on the direction of the NFL, this feels like less of a gadget player and more of a cornerstone of a less conventional offense. His attempt to get that cam type player even if its not an every down qb, a player that'll be on the field a lot and all over the place without it exposing your starting qb to injury.

Edited by NoSaint

Getting old isn't it? Do the mods need to tighten up or do we just have to wait for a winner? It seems football talk is very rare around here these days, and moaning, complaining and attacking are running off anyone that did like to talk x's and o's.

I think smith will be a great add on. Free extra man on gameday, and will likely get a lot more play at WR than he did in NY. Definitely continues the trend towards being able to disguise intent based on personnel groupings (ie one grouping could go 5 wide, or standard pro set, or wildcat run it downhill, or even pass out of that). He's been a great leader too.

With chans comments on the direction of the NFL, this feels like less of a gadget player and more of a cornerstone of a less conventional offense. His

Did you fall asleep?

I will almost guarantee that the Wildcat and other packages with Smith, Spiller will be the back with him most of the time. So instead of doing things that take the ball away from Spiller, it will actually get Spiller on the field more. Smith runs the option and Spiller will be the back that gets the pitchout on those plays. Smith will fake runs and then drop back and Spiller will be one of the players they hope will be able to get matchups on LBs out of that type of play where Smith can dump the ball off to him in the open field. Smith is a guy that teams have to worry about because of his unique abilities and Spiller, because of his speed and explosiveness, will be the second guy, not the first, that teams have to worry about, so should be much more able to do what he does well -- use his speed in the open field.

Anyone who thinks that Smith does the same things as Spiller, and will take away from CJ, hasn't seen Smith much, and doesn't know Gailey well.

I think they view Spiller as more of a Reggie Bush type (primarily focused on routes out of the backfield / motion to split out wide), and Brad Smith as more of a rushing-QB/WR type. Small difference, but allows you to have a couple "waterbugs" (as they like to call it) in different positions.

Except Smith isn't a water bug.

He's 6'1" and a shade under 220 pounds… the same size as Adrian Peterson.

Smith is a big man who breaks tackles and drags tacklers at the end of runs.

He's not quite as fast as Peterson (4.40 vs 4.46) but he's even more explosive in the vertical jump (39.5 inches vs 38 inches) and the broad jump (10'8" vs 10' 7").

Smith's exceptional agility can be seen in his 3-cone time (7.01 to Peterson's 7.09) and short shuttle time (4.33 vs Peterson's 4.40).

Obviously Smith's elusiveness is very high as evidenced by the numerous 20+ yard plays he's had and his 7.8 yards per rush NFL average.

Again, Smith has been listed as a wideout in his NFL career but he's had more rushing attempts than receptions since being in the NFL.

If Smith were used solely as running back, he'd be one of the best in the league.

Except that he was arguably Missouri's all-time greatest QB and yes, he can catch the ball a little bit too. But again, his acquisition should have zero effect on the depth chart at wide receiver. Wideout will be his smallest role.

Smith's firstly a kick returner and a wildcat QB/ running back.

With the season cut short it will be a challenge for Gailey to implement a lot of gadget plays and wildcat formations. Im thinking this give the Bills some cushion at the WR position for next year, let Stevie, Easley, and Nelson develop one more season with Lee, then as these younger guys mature, Evans will become expendable.

Except Smith isn't a water bug.

He's 6'1" and a shade under 220 pounds… the same size as Adrian Peterson.

Smith is a big man who breaks tackles and drags tacklers at the end of runs.

He's not quite as fast as Peterson (4.40 vs 4.46) but he's even more explosive in the vertical jump (39.5 inches vs 38 inches) and the broad jump (10'8" vs 10' 7").

Smith's exceptional agility can be seen in his 3-cone time (7.01 to Peterson's 7.09) and short shuttle time (4.33 vs Peterson's 4.40).

Obviously Smith's elusiveness is very high as evidenced by the numerous 20+ yard plays he's had and his 7.8 yards per rush NFL average.

Again, Smith has been listed as a wideout in his NFL career but he's had more rushing attempts than receptions since being in the NFL.

If Smith were used solely as running back, he'd be one of the best in the league.

Except that he was arguably Missouri's all-time greatest QB and yes, he can catch the ball a little bit too. But again, his acquisition should have zero effect on the depth chart at wide receiver. Wideout will be his smallest role.

Smith's firstly a kick returner and a wildcat QB/ running back.

Yeah, I agree with you, that isn't the right term for him, but I was trying to draw a comparison to the way they want to use Spiller as an elusive playmaker who can line up at multiple positions.

Yeah, I agree with you, that isn't the right term for him, but I was trying to draw a comparison to the way they want to use Spiller as an elusive playmaker who can line up at multiple positions.

Honestly, I think Fred Jackson with a little more athleticism is the closest comparison on our roster (body type, style of play, skills).. Though I agree with you saying they will move him around.

He'll be the 3rd QB, who can now be fully active on gamedays (i.e. the 1st and 2nd QB don't need to be hurt first, or he doesn't have to wait until the 4th quarter). He'll return kicks (saves Spiller for just RB duty, maybe being an extra man back on KO's and ST's chicanery) and play in "Wildcat" formations, so as to give the opponents something to think about when he's on the field.

Like the rule change about the 3rd QB. Chan was thinking ahead on this and the more I see into it the more I like it.:)

I could easily see Brad in the Wildcat with Spiller and Fred on the field in the backfield.

Smith can Pass to Spiller out the of wildcat or hand to Fred or even run himself.

Have a feeling that the Bills will be hard to defend if they can get another RT that can give them good play.