Wonder when we'll start hearing of draft pick signings

eball

With only three days to get deals done you'd think the rookie draft picks will sign pretty quickly. Pretty much kills the first year if they don't get into camp on time after having no OTAs to learn their teams' systems and playbook.

I never completely understood the implication of the rookie scale. How exactly is it implemented? How will draft picks determine their contracts?

I never completely understood the implication of the rookie scale. How exactly is it implemented? How will draft picks determine their contracts?

It could be that neither do the GMs and agents. That could make for slow going.

It could be that neither do the GMs and agents. That could make for slow going.

Great point. I would expect that we start hearing of signings tomorrow, and a lot of them once the scale is figured out. Jasper will def sign. The 7th rounders are usually the 1st ones to sign, and he'll want to get into camp ASAP and make an impression.

Per ESPN's feed:

May have our first drafted rookie contract signed: 3rd round pick Mason Foster of Tampa, as per @TBBuccaneers

As far as the Rookie CAP (not scale) is concerned, from what Ive heard, it's a lot like the salary cap. There is a pool of money, and each team can spend that money however it wants on it's rookies. There is no slotting such as "The #1 overall pick gets X amount, #2 gets Y, etc". So it's not much easier for the teams, especially this year when they are going to have to get the agents to accept the idea that early picks simply can not make as much.

edit: Looks to be a combination of both... A little more information in this article...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/41131/just-in-nfc-west-rookie-pool-allotments

Edited by DrDareustein

GM's are going to worry about the Free Agents first. They need to compete with other teams for them, the drafted rookies aren't going anywhere, so they can be put them on hold for a day or two. My guess is the draft picks will start falling in line Thursday and Friday.

GM's are going to worry about the Free Agents first. They need to compete with other teams for them, the drafted rookies aren't going anywhere, so they can be put them on hold for a day or two. My guess is the draft picks will start falling in line Thursday and Friday.

I hope you're right, but I see 'difficulty' in the Drew Rosenhaus's of the world accepting this and doing the math.

So I am going to talk out of both sides of my mouth...

1) There are ALOT of free agents, UDFAs and players who will actually make an NFL roster sitting out there. The Rookie Draft picks, while we want to get them in Camp...are GOING to be Bills, so its probably not worth alot of time right now getting them signed. Focus on the Free Agents.

2) The Front office has had MONTHS to figure this out...they should have had contracts sitting on the fax machine ready to go. Press send and get them out to every agent out there.

(Note, this isnt specifically a Bills topic).

So I am going to talk out of both sides of my mouth...

1) There are ALOT of free agents, UDFAs and players who will actually make an NFL roster sitting out there. The Rookie Draft picks, while we want to get them in Camp...are GOING to be Bills, so its probably not worth alot of time right now getting them signed. Focus on the Free Agents.

2) The Front office has had MONTHS to figure this out...they should have had contracts sitting on the fax machine ready to go. Press send and get them out to every agent out there.

(Note, this isnt specifically a Bills topic).

You articulated both of those points most effectively.

And it was very admirable of you to not lose patience with yourself and start a pissing match.

:)