Not this again?

Or XTC and Britney Spears...remember that guy?

The only XTC I remember is a new wave band I don't like.

Oh, and regarding Queen and Mercury, I'm going to have to agree with Tom. Personality does not equal spectacle. Queen's best concerts seemed to come in the 80's, when Mercury was mustachioed and not wearing stuff like this.

Oh, and regarding Queen and Mercury, I'm going to have to agree with Tom. Personality does not equal spectacle. Queen's best concerts seemed to come in the 80's, when Mercury was mustachioed and not wearing stuff like this.

Mercury was known as a quiet and reserved person, so wouldn't his rock god personality be a spectacle, by definition? Oh well, it's all semantics. Best thing to do is listen to the tunes...I'm gonna throw on Sheer Heart Attack when I DJ later today. :thumbsup:

Mercury was known as a quiet and reserved person, so wouldn't his rock god personality be a spectacle, by definition? Oh well, it's all semantics. Best thing to do is listen to the tunes...I'm gonna throw on Sheer Heart Attack when I DJ later today. :thumbsup:

Yes, and Brian May is an astrophysicist...clearly his guitar work is all spectacle.

I think I once gave a Metallica fan a stroke when I showed him that "Stone Cold Crazy" was a cover of an old Queen song. :devil:

You do know that Queen II segues directly in to Sheer Heart Attack, don't you? ("Seven Seas of Rhye" ends with vocals for "I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside", which opens "Brighton Beach Rock").

I always which came first, Freddie Mercury or Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I think I once gave a Metallica fan a stroke when I showed him that "Stone Cold Crazy" was a cover of an old Queen song. :devil:

You do know that Queen II segues directly in to Sheer Heart Attack, don't you? ("Seven Seas of Rhye" ends with vocals for "I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside", which opens "Brighton Beach Rock").

Haha yep, there's a late night metal show at my radio station called Last Exit for the Lost. I love to tease them about how the biggest fruit in rock history (in a tie with Sir Reginald Dwight) invented their genre.

I've worn out my Queen LP's enough to know all the little secrets. To me, the best moment of SHA is the seamless transitions between Tenement Funster, Flick of the Wrist (perhaps Queen's darkest song) and Lily of the Valley. Back in the days when there was artistic cogency in the creation of an album, rather than the laboratory production of two catchy singles tossed into a leafy bed of filler crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjc0IjyqrGQ

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Ask my 85 year old mother if she's heard of Freddy Mercury. Then ask her if she's heard of Lady Gaga. There's your spectacle.

There is the difference between an on stage persona and wearing a meat dress to an awards show.

Carry on.................

I've worn out my Queen LP's enough to know all the little secrets. To me, the best moment of SHA is the seamless transitions between Tenement Funster, Flick of the Wrist (perhaps Queen's darkest song) and Lily of the Valley. Back in the days when there was artistic cogency in the creation of an album, rather than the laboratory production of two catchy singles tossed into a leafy bed of filler crap.

I prefer side 1 of SHA on balance...but yeah, the variety ("Leroy Brown," "Lily of the Valley," "Stone Cold Crazy"...you wouldn't hear songs like that from the same artist these days, never mind the same side of the same album) and seamlessness of the composition of side 2 are extremely well-done.

I'm one of those people, too, that cringes when I hear an album out of order. I think it was Boston, that I replaced the LP with a CD that was mis-ordered (I think it was "Smokin'" that was out of place), and quickly ripped it, reordered it, and burned a new one. Nowadays, it hardly matters.

I actually enjoy coldplay..took me a while, but I like 'em...please don't kill me

Good. If you were a Coldplay fan, I'd have had to kill you.

Quickly, of course...because anyone who listens to Coldplay is resistant to most forms of torture.

wow...i am not too familiar with joe satriani except for one song i think...and that song reminded me of a wannabe van halen, who i am also not to keen on...maybe i need to listen to mr. satriani to see what you are talking about....

So do I...but I like them better as Joe Satriani. <_<

its the news business...sensationalism sells....give us your dirty laundry....

wow...i am not too familiar with joe satriani except for one song i think...and that song reminded me of a wannabe van halen, who i am also not to keen on...maybe i need to listen to mr. satriani to see what you are talking about....

Probably not..."wanna-be Van Halen" isn't giving him enough credit; he's a very good musician and composer, and unlike many 20+ year old acts is willing to try branching out in new directions. But if you're thinking "wanna-be Van Halen" already, you're probably not going to like him.

The reference was to Coldplay's Grammy-winning song, which was an embarrassingly direct lift of Satriani's "If I Could Fly".

What's the problem? Graphic photo of a disastrous situation.

I like all the G3 guys. Satriani sounds nothing like Eddie except that he's fast. Satriani Could have been in a million bands I'm sure but likes to write his won stuff. Of those solo guitar guys, I prefer Eric Johnson over Vai and Satriani though.

Dark horse in the modern guitar genius category is the late Michael Hedges.