The Unresolved CBA items

Apparently Howard Balzer of the SportsXchange obtained a copy of the summary of the CBA which the owners approved yesterday.

He passed this information on to Mike Florio at ProFootballTalk.

The items are listed here with a brief discussion of each item.

Here's an appetizer:

"Fourth, players would be guaranteed up to $3 million for the second and third year after a catastrophic injury. Balzer reports that, in the deal approved by the league on Thursday, the number had been cut to $1 million in the second year and $500,000 in the third year.

Fifth, the California loophole for workers’ compensation benefits would continue."

Apparently Howard Balzer of the SportsXchange obtained a copy of the summary of the CBA which the owners approved yesterday.

He passed this information on to Mike Florio at ProFootballTalk.

The items are listed here with a brief discussion of each item.

Here's an appetizer:

"Fourth, players would be guaranteed up to $3 million for the second and third year after a catastrophic injury. Balzer reports that, in the deal approved by the league on Thursday, the number had been cut to $1 million in the second year and $500,000 in the third year.

Fifth, the California loophole for workers’ compensation benefits would continue."

Thanks, SJBF. Good stuff. I hadn't seen this yet. Here's two that I found interesting:

1) "Sixth, the possibility of an opt out was included as an open item. Balzer reports that the final version included no opt out, making it a firm 10-year deal. (It has been reported that the players want a potential opt out after seven years.)"

- I don't want an opt out on either side. The reason we're living through this ordeal now is the owners' own stupidity back in 2006 (save for Ralph Wilson & Mike Brown). Make a deal and live with it. Period.

2) "Tenth, short-term injured reserve would be available, along with a possible game-day roster of 47. The deal approved by the owners reportedly limits the game-day roster to 46."

- I've thought for years that there should be a short-term injured reserve. It's absolutely assinine that a player is lost for the year if he's placed on IR. I'd advocate a 47 man game day roster vs. a 46, as well.

Thanks, SJBF. Good stuff. I hadn't seen this yet. Here's two that I found interesting:

1) "Sixth, the possibility of an opt out was included as an open item. Balzer reports that the final version included no opt out, making it a firm 10-year deal. (It has been reported that the players want a potential opt out after seven years.)"

- I don't want an opt out on either side. The reason we're living through this ordeal now is the owners' own stupidity back in 2006 (save for Ralph Wilson & Mike Brown). Make a deal and live with it. Period.

2) "Tenth, short-term injured reserve would be available, along with a possible game-day roster of 47. The deal approved by the owners reportedly limits the game-day roster to 46."

- I've thought for years that there should be a short-term injured reserve. It's absolutely assinine that a player is lost for the year if he's placed on IR. I'd advocate a 47 man game day roster vs. a 46, as well.

The gap between 45 and 53 is your short tern list currently

Not great but not totally terrible.

More details on the approved part of the CBA:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/23/in-season-padded-practices-plummet-under-new-cba/

"The parties have agreed that, during the 17-week regular season, teams will conduct only 14 practices in pads.

Let’s repeat that. During the 17-week regular season, teams will have a maximum of only 14 padded practices.

More specifically, teams can have 11 padded practices during the first 11 weeks of the season, with two padded practices permitted in a given week only once. Then, for the final six weeks of the season, a total of three padded practices may be conducted.

Also, teams will be permitted to have one practice in pads per week during the postseason.

This portion of the summary regarding in-season practices contains one more open issue we didn’t previously noticed. The players wants five straight days off during the bye week; it’s not known whether the league included that provision in the labor deal that was approved Thursday."

And details on the new revenue sharing plan that the owners drew up without input from the players… because the players apparently didn't care this time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/23/new-revenue-sharing-plan-features-tax-on-highest-earning-teams/