Obama's giving Boehner a verbal ass-kicking

What gives? Are you in a contest with Birddog to see who can descend furthest from the mean? From your own article:

Using life expectancy to measure health care efficiency is even dumber than judging tire safety with aggregate trafic fatalities.

We don't need to spend more on health care, we need to tax cigerettes more, raise fuel costs and confiscate spoons. Then we will all live forever!!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Immediate Release: December 9, 2010

(301) 458-4800

Stroke Drops to Fourth Leading Cause of Death in 2008

U.S Life expectancy declines slightly according to latest CDC deaths report

Stroke is now the fourth leading cause of death in the United States, down from the third place ranking it has held for decades, according to preliminary 2008 death statistics released today by CDC's National Center for Health Statistics. While deaths from stroke and several other chronic diseases are down, deaths due to chronic lower respiratory disease increased in 2008.

There were 133,750 deaths from stroke in 2008. Age-adjusted death rates from stroke declined 3.8 percent between 2007 and 2008. Meantime, there were 141,075 deaths from chronic lower respiratory disease and the death rate increased by 7.8 percent.

Some of the increase in deaths may be due to a modification made by the World Health Organization in the way deaths from chronic lower respiratory diseases are classified and coded. The National Center for Health Statistics will conduct a thorough analysis on this change and its effect on the chronic lower respiratory disease category before the final 2008 deaths data are released.

"Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2008," also finds that life expectancy at birth dropped slightly to 77.8 years from 77.9 years in 2007. Life expectancy was down by one-tenth of a year (a little over a month) for both men and women. However, black males had a record high life expectancy in 2008 of 70.2 years – up from 70 years in 2007. The life expectancy gap between the white and black populations was 4.6 years in 2008, a decrease of two-tenths of a year from 2007.

The data are based on 99 percent of death certificates reported to NCHS through the National Vital Statistics System from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories.

Other findings:

Heart disease and cancer, the two leading causes of death, still accounted for nearly half (48 percent) of all deaths in 2008.

In addition to stroke, mortality rates declined significantly for five of the other 15 leading causes of death: accidents/unintentional injuries (3.5 percent), homicide (3.3 percent), diabetes (3.1 percent), heart disease (2.2 percent), and cancer (1.6 percent).

In addition to chronic lower respiratory disease, death rates increased significantly in 2008 for Alzheimer's disease (7.5 percent), influenza and pneumonia (4.9 percent), high blood pressure (4.1 percent), suicide (2.7 percent), and kidney disease (2.1 percent).

The preliminary infant mortality rate for 2008 was 6.59 infant deaths per 1,000 live births, a 2.4 percent decline from the 2007 rate of 6.77 and an all-time record low. Birth defects were the leading cause of infant death in 2008, followed by disorders related to preterm birth and low birth weight. Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) was the third leading cause of infant death in the United States.

Overall, there were 2,473,018 deaths in the United States in 2008, according to the preliminary deaths report – 49,306 more deaths than the 2007 total.

The age-adjusted death rate for the U.S. population fell to 758.7 deaths per 100,000 in 2008 compared to the 2007 rate of 760.2.

The full report is available at www.cdc.gov/nchs.

###

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

For you Tommy I'll spoon feed it.

But of course one year don't mean much but you put all the coming obesity related illness together with end of life pneumonia that may soon become untreatable by any known antibiotic and we could go to a period of declining not rising life expectancy.

Not the same study, bozo. In fact, THIS one doesn't even hypothesize about the causal effects of health care spending or inefficiency...so you're trying to defend a bull **** article derived from a Reuters article about a scientific study by posting a different press release that doesn't even study the same thing as the study your original link was based on. :lol: What, are you just throwing up anything with "life expectancy" in the title, and hoping it somehow applies?

Not the same study, bozo. In fact, THIS one doesn't even hypothesize about the causal effects of health care spending or inefficiency...so you're trying to defend a bull **** article derived from a Reuters article about a scientific study by posting a different press release that doesn't even study the same thing as the study your original link was based on. :lol: What, are you just throwing up anything with "life expectancy" in the title, and hoping it somehow applies?

What an ass you are- my original point was that the life expectancy numbers used in that estimate to come up with an unfunded liability of 62Trillion may have been wildly optimistic- a 75 year projection is nonsense so getting your panties in a bunch about a number derived from a 75 year projection is moronic- Jesus Tom you have the attention span of a child or senility, does your wife have to help you follow the plot of "Murder she Wrote".

What an ass you are- my original point was that the life expectancy numbers used in that estimate to come up with an unfunded liability of 62Trillion may have been wildly optimistic- a 75 year projection is nonsense so getting your panties in a bunch about a number derived from a 75 year projection is moronic- Jesus Tom you have the attention span of a child or senility, does your wife have to help you follow the plot of "Murder she Wrote".

Then why'd you link to a badly written fourth-hand report about the inefficiencies of the health care system, dimwit? If you can't even pay attention to your own posts, I don't think it's MY attention span that's the problem. :rolleyes:

Then why'd you link to a badly written fourth-hand report about the inefficiencies of the health care system, dimwit? If you can't even pay attention to your own posts, I don't think it's MY attention span that's the problem. :rolleyes:

I didn't care about the inefficiencies of the healthcare- the point was that gains in US life expectancy are slowing down and may even have started reversing and if the estimated year by year life expectancy from the 75 year projection are overstated it is another reason why the 62 trillion dollar figure is a nonsense number used to scare right-wing children.

As for the inefficiencies of American health care we will do that later.

Edited by ....lybob

I didn't care about the inefficiencies of the healthcare- the point was that gains in US life expectancy are slowing down and may even have started reversing and if the estimated year by year life expectancy from the 75 year projection are overstated it is another reason why the 62 trillion dollar figure is a nonsense number used to scare right-wing children.

The $62T figure is nonsense because the government's accounting practices don't even support it. It's a fiction.

Even so, unless you're demonstrating that ACTUAL life expectancy is decreasing, you're not proving your point. Which you did, with the second article (though I still question it on several bases that I won't go into, as I'm just too lazy to explain it to you). Which still begs the question: why did you bother linking to that abortion of a story in your first link?

As for the inefficiencies of American health care we will do that later.

Which again still begs the question...

The $62T figure is nonsense because the government's accounting practices don't even support it. It's a fiction.

Even so, unless you're demonstrating that ACTUAL life expectancy is decreasing, you're not proving your point. Which you did, with the second article (though I still question it on several bases that I won't go into, as I'm just too lazy to explain it to you). Which still begs the question: why did you bother linking to that abortion of a story in your first link?

Which again still begs the question...

The real question is why I bother to link or post articles or videos when it would be so much easier to say crap and never back it up with anything like many on this board including you Tom.

The real question is why I bother to link or post articles or videos when it would be so much easier to say crap and never back it up with anything like many on this board including you Tom.

Excellent question, since the crap you post is rarely backed up by anything anyway. The difference between "backing your position up with Russia Times" and "pulling **** out of your ass" is that the latter may not on occasion make you look like a complete schumuck; the former always will.

Obama is calling out Boehner right now for caving to the Tea Party, who are threatening our economy with their extremist willingness to let the government default on our debt. There was a reasonable compromise on the table that cut trillions, including programs that Democrats support, not raise the tax rates, and close tax loopholes. And once again Boehner has backed away because of pressure from the extremists in the House. Clearly Boehner doesn't have the balls to take on the Tea Party for the good of the country. McConnell seems reasonable and willing to compromise on this crisis, but he's not getting any help from his fellow Republicans in the House.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/24/obamas-fair-deal-violate-your-tax-pledge-so-i-can-keep-my-pledge-to-reform-entitlements/

Asian markets are down, as is to be expected.

The Senate is putting forth a plan that will "save money" by ending the wars in Iraq and Afganistan, something that has already been budgeted for. Imagine if that's the final plan? All this for nothing.

The GOP House says it will put out a proposal tomorrow outlinning their cuts too...? That will be great to see. Hopefully they go after seniors. Republicans do not think they can pass a bill through the House that raises the debt unless it has HUGE cuts and no new revenue at all.

House proposal out tomorrow they vote on perhaps wednesday, the Senate says it will vote Friday and we will have to see how Wall Street reacts tomorrow at the opening bell.

Link to counter that assertion?

You truly are an assmudgeon. You make a statement and I ask for a link. You then ask me for a link disproving your false claim. I would ask you if you had to take dumb ass classes to be this stupid, but I can't imagine anyone more stupid than you who could teach you. You must have just been born this way. How did you learn to breathe?

You truly are an assmudgeon. You make a statement and I ask for a link. You then ask me for a link disproving your false claim. I would ask you if you had to take dumb ass classes to be this stupid, but I can't imagine anyone more stupid than you who could teach you. You must have just been born this way. How did you learn to breathe?

"You're an idiot" is so much quicker to type.

Oh, I'm stupid for not posting something you can look up yourself? Whatever moron

"You're an idiot" is so much quicker to type.

And then you will have time to make even more posts! 30,000, he we come!!!

Boy, the Democrats are sure doing the right think here. Cutting spending, negotiating to ensure the economy stays on track and doing everything in their power to see that we come through this ok. Now the GOP wanting to drag this thing into a presidential election year is pure political game playing. Sad.

Wildly optimistic, based on a .1 reduction on a year to year study? Yeah, like that is going to throw off the actuarial studies. And the lower life expectancy statistic is more than countered by the increasing birthrates of Hispanics, which means that the rise in population will offset a one month shorter life when you're computing total benefit spending.

But that's ok, because you showed us a Daily Kos link, and we know how well they understand actuarial calculus.

Oh, I'm stupid for not posting something you can look up yourself? Whatever moron

And then you will have time to make even more posts! 30,000, he we come!!!

You stated that "one side is seriously trying to compromise while the other is not". I asked you for a link or an article or any kind of indication and you told me to look it up for myself. So, if I find nothing stating that the dems want to compromise or nothing about them not wanting to compromise you will be right in your assertion? A little lesson for you assmudgeon-----if you make a statement, have the means to back it up. BTW, how did you learn to breathe?

You stated that "one side is seriously trying to compromise while the other is not". I asked you for a link or an article or any kind of indication and you told me to look it up for myself. So, if I find nothing stating that the dems want to compromise or nothing about them not wanting to compromise you will be right in your assertion? A little lesson for you assmudgeon-----if you make a statement, have the means to back it up. BTW, how did you learn to breathe?

I don't have to prove anything to something as stupid as you. I mean, get real you little creep, you complete tard. You are probably the stupidest poster on this board, and that is something!

I don't have to prove anything to something as stupid as you. I mean, get real you little creep, you complete tard. You are probably the stupidest poster on this board, and that is something!

So, you feel free to make statements without being able to back them up? I'm the stupidest poster on this board? Answer me this----If you overtake the last place person in a race, what place does that put you in?